Toronto Bay Adelaide Centre | 217.92m | 51s | Brookfield | KPMB

I wonder if oxford will make a big push on its Adelaide project ?

Arguably that has a much more interesting design.

More from The Star..........Bay, Adelaide office tower brings work space to condo-heavy downtown

Toronto’s newest office tower is set to bring employment space to a sea of residential buildings.

There are six office buildings currently under development in the city’s core, compared to 12 new high-rise condos, with more than 5,700 units, now under construction.

The $464 million (U.S.) Bay Adelaide Centre East project is expected to break ground in the fall and be completed in 2015 or early 2016, Brookfield Office Properties Inc. said Tuesday.

“Any new office building in the downtown core is welcome. We need more employment space,” said Iain Dobson, researcher and former commercial brokerage executive. “We have built so much residential space, and we haven’t built up a comparable amount of office space.”

Professional services firm Deloitte Canada has signed on as the anchor tenant of the new building, which is the second tower in the Bay Adelaide complex. The new space will bring together employees from five different downtown offices on 17 floors.

The tower comes as a growing number of companies are renewing their commitment, or making a new one, to keep operations in the city’s downtown core.

More......http://www.thestar.com/business/art...wer-brings-work-space-to-condo-heavy-downtown

Hahaha, come on taal, they have to secure a tenant and that could take years:D

hehe are you mocking my previous rants on how many of these projects likely won't get the shovel in the ground ? :)

SNC-Lavalin is not downtown ! Maybe they have a small office but most of their office space is in the west mall in Etobicko and other 905 locations.

More from The Star..........Bay, Adelaide office tower brings work space to condo-heavy downtown

Toronto’s newest office tower is set to bring employment space to a sea of residential buildings.

There are six office buildings currently under development in the city’s core, compared to 12 new high-rise condos, with more than 5,700 units, now under construction.

LOL @ the direct comparison between residential towers and office towers. I think it's a fair estimate to say 5700 units equates to 8000 persons. Bay Adelaide 2 will have at least that many workers at full occupancy. Factor in the other buildings and wow, we need to build three times as many condos.

LOL @ the direct comparison between residential towers and office towers. I think it's a fair estimate to say 5700 units equates to 8000 persons. Bay Adelaide 2 will have at least that many workers at full occupancy. Factor in the other buildings and wow, we need to build three times as many condos.

You're high # wise
200 square feet of office space per person is probably a low estimate, so 1,000,000 / 200 = 5000.

I would also like to add my voice to the chorus of disappointment. I'm at a loss as to why we are being short-changed in this city when it comes to new office building design. I know KPMB are known for their boring utilitarian buildings, but this beggars belief.

This is incredibly boring, i wish someone would push for more creative designs in this city.

Granted that building cladding colour preference - as with any colour preference - is a personal thing, and considering the downtown office towers as a whole, the building that I've become most enamoured of in recent years is the west tower of the Bay Adelaide Centre. Depending on the ambient light, it ranges from a warm, almost mauve, blue, to a silvery reflective neutral, and is probably the most subtle of its neighbours ( including Pei's CIBC tower ) in how it shifts colour. It's possible to go beyond personal colour preference to appreciate how well something is done chromatically, and I'm delighted that, if the renderings are accurate, they appear to have stayed the course and are using the same glass in the second tower. As with Brookfield Place, they've opted for a variation-on-a-theme approach as far as building shape is concerned - rather than repeating the original module, as the TD Centre did - and I hope they carry through with this unifying process in the eventual third tower.

Any else amused by the fact that virtually every office tower constructed during this boom has been a box, and furthermore that the further we go in time, the boxier our office towers get? I just can't help but be amused by it. It's like some kind of phenomenon.

Well, I think it's typical of Toronto, in the same way that we boiled down Mock Goth to a basic essence and the reproduced it endlessly with our bay-'n'-gables ...

Used to think condo architecture ruined a city and office towers were essential to a nice skyline. Sadly in Toronto it seems to be the opposite alhtough not doing much better on that front.

Back