Toronto Humbertown Redevelopment | ?m | 21s | First Capital | Kirkor Architects

Predictable opposition to development is exactly why Toronto goes no where quickly.

You'd find this kind of opposition to this kind of development in any suburb in the Western world. This isn't some phenomenon that is unique to Toronto.

This doesn't make sense to me. Goes nowhere quickly? It arguably has more development happening than any other city in North America.

I agree. Though the selfish NIMBY hordes always come out with guns blazing at every development meeting, how often do they actually change or influence any proposals? I'd say it's pretty rare. Perhaps the OMB is a blessing after all, because if final planning say were to be transferred to the city and its elected officials, they would be far more vulnerable to NIMBY pressure.

I agree. Though the selfish NIMBY hordes always come out with guns blazing at every development meeting, how often do they actually change or influence any proposals? I'd say it's pretty rare. Perhaps the OMB is a blessing after all, because if final planning say were to be transferred to the city and its elected officials, they would be far more vulnerable to NIMBY pressure.

I think they actually did have some influence on the built form at Don Mills, including the bows to heritage in the street naming and the overall neo-modern architectural stylings--though that might be more a case of NIMBYs being coaxed constructively YIMBYward...

This makes no sense to me. Why would you want to build this in an already hi density area when there is ample amount of empty land in the Islington & Bloor area that can handle this type of development.

I believe the City owns most of the parking lots/ West Wood Theatre lands around Islington and Bloor area.

I am sure they can sell the land to Tridel or any other developer.

...but in this case, someone (First Capital Realty) owns this land, and wants to intensify the use on it. They believe they can make more money (that's how we thrive within the capitalist system) by increasing the density of commercial, and by adding residential to the site too. Abutting landowners and locals who live near and use the plaza would be affected, and they have rights too, so we also have in place a review process that will determine what the government finds is acceptable land use and density for this site. A zoning plan review was put in place this morning at Etobicoke-York Community Council to that effect.

This makes no sense to me. Why would you want to build this in an already hi density area when there is ample amount of empty land in the Islington & Bloor area that can handle this type of development.

Re "already hi density", have you even seen the area? (And no, all those postwar walkups around Kingsway/Anglesey don't count.)

Yes I am practically in that area almost everyday.
OK maybe "hi density" is not the right description. The area is really "tight".
You have three high residential apartments & at least 10 or so low rise residential apartments that feed off two streets that are one lane only (Royal York & The Kingsway). On top of that, it is difficult to get onto Dundas st from Royal York.

The residential buildings are to be condominiums, the units will be sold. Any residential rentals?

And what about the commercial? Would they be leased out or sold in the same way as the condos? With commercial leases, they are not covered by restrictions like residential. However, that is one reason why when leases expire on commercial, they could be priced out of the neighbourhood or why they seem to be the same chain stores as everywhere else. It could be better if they could sell the commercial space so that the store owners can actually stay in the same space without being forced out at some future date.

This doesn't make sense to me. Goes nowhere quickly? It arguably has more development happening than any other city in North America.

Absolutely - buy I can think of a number of infrastructure / urban planning choices that should have been made long ago and are still being re-debated, refused and out right underfunded today..

I believe the City owns most of the parking lots/ West Wood Theatre lands around Islington and Bloor area.

I am sure they can sell the land to Tridel or any other developer.

I read recently that the City of Toronto is looking to sell off the land at Islington/Bloor (Bus station and parking lots) to a private developer. The proposal is to build 2-3 condo towers and commercial space.

I read recently that the City of Toronto is looking to sell off the land at Islington/Bloor (Bus station and parking lots) to a private developer. The proposal is to build 2-3 condo towers and commercial space.

Can you provide the article please?

Back