Toronto East Harbour | 214.2m | 65s | Cadillac Fairview | Adamson

The "C" in CBD stands for "Central" so I doubt it could be a second one except to suburbanites who think anything between Victoria Park and the Humber is central.

Secondary Central business district would be what I was going for. From Wikipedia it describes this as: "...a small business district developing close to the central business district. Examples include the Canary Wharf financial district in London, which functions as the secondary financial heart of the city."

Walked by the Lever site during a Jane's Walk on Sunday and was struck on how large the site really is and how it is on the doorstep of the Portlands.
IMG4044-L.jpg

At the Community Consultation meeting last night on the Sun Building the folks from First Gulf gave some examples of their other projects and mentioned the Unilever factory. They said they were in discussion with the TTC and GO Transit regarding transit improvements to it. If GO Is talking to them are they actually thinking of an "east downtown' GO station?

Pretty sure part of the lot is going to be used for warehousing in the short term. The cladding for 1 Bloor is being shipped from overseas and will be stored locally before it gets trucked over to the site as needed, and I'm almost positive this is the location it's being stored at. Mind you it's a big lot, so they could probably have a lot going on there over the next few years.

Secondary Central business district would be what I was going for. From Wikipedia it describes this as: "...a small business district developing close to the central business district. Examples include the Canary Wharf financial district in London, which functions as the secondary financial heart of the city."

Canary Wharf in London is much more complicated than what First Gulf or anyone else is proposing for anywhere in Toronto. And London is the world's first or second largest financial centre (depending who you listen to and how you rank them)..... Toronto just doesn't have enough size and scale to have a second financial "centre".

I think TO could support a second centre if the current CBD prices are high enough to warrant someone wanting to bulid another building on land that is way cheaper. I have to imagine that the city is really serious about a DRL in this location, becuase no developer in their right mind would build a 40+ storey building without an awesome transit connection, nor would any anchor tenant sign on

Back