Toronto Clear Spirit | 131.36m | 40s | Cityscape | a—A

681x454.jpg
3608515303_afa19d7674.jpg

With the ribbon building are they likely to build anything like this under the rail corridor?

Not to hijack the thread but maybe this concept could work well if the Gardiner is likely to stay above grade for the foreseeable future? I liked the idea when I was in Berlin, and thought it could easily be applied here also with either the railway corridor or the Gardiner. I know that lakeshore runs under the gardiner, but maybe lakeshore is the easier road to adjust here...Just a thought.

Attachments

• 681x454.jpg
    681x454.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 496
  • 3608515303_afa19d7674.jpg
    3608515303_afa19d7674.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
View attachment 8213View attachment 8214

With the ribbon building are they likely to build anything like this under the rail corridor?

Nice, thats under the Gardiner, i know what you mean that would be nice.
i always wondered why nothing has ever been built in those under used areas, but then again a lot of leakage coming from overtop...that could be the reason

There are quite a number of European cities with vaulted spaces under railway viaducts. I've often wished the viaduct had been built that way here as well; it would certainly have made passage underneath easier to construct now. (In effect, Union Station already works this way, and if it weren't for the digging to clear another space for the mall under the station, the renovations down there would have been pretty quickly completed.)

Here at the Distillery there is no plan to create something similar under the tracks, other than a pedestrian tunnel which is planned at the foot of Mill Street to get people quickly down to the 3C properties in the Lower Don Lands. Half a dozen years from now the area should feel renewed and transformed - and better connected - by all the development.

In the first shot, the bent and folded balconies give off a much more fluid effect than I anticipated. It evokes Absolute World a bit, though much more subtly of course.

It'll look like a smaller and slightly tipsy version of Casa - all rumpled balconies and buckled knees, as if it's been out clubbing all night.

40th

It appears we've finally hit the 40th (and final) floor! Exciting to see. I was looking at the Waterfront Toronto webcam which I've selfishly used for years to keep tabs on this building.

So, again: there's another condo coming up right beside this one, right? Directly adjacent to Cherry st, on the east side of this building? I asked this before, but now I forget.

I like the condo though; it has a nice curvy build to it.

Yes, the Gooderham will be 5 storeys shorter, closer to Cherry, and just to the north of Clear Spirit, so it will appear just to the left of it in the photo above.

Interesting. Slightly tight fit, methinks. Looking forward to it. When the Athlete's Village to the east is finished, this area will be totally different. Hell, even a repaving of Cherry street here would clean things up when all is said and done.

Now if we could just get the Gardiner underground....:)

Back