Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

It is disturbing to see the actual dismal outcome of the Sony's mechanical section at the corner of Scott and Esplanade in comparison to what was promised with the model in the sales office. There has to be a certain amount of justifiable trepidation as to what the final result will be on the north podium. As both of these portions are going to be the responsibility of the Sony Centre, I can't help feeling a little suspicious here.
Is it possible that there was some eleventh hour case of the cheapies taking hold of the Sony folks?
As for the tower itself? In the end, when the last pane of glass is positioned into that top pointy bit, I am sure many will agree with me that it well prove to be a spectacular sockdolager to a remarkable bit of construction.

Today.

6528668265_366904f745_b.jpg

6528639873_31039b5b22_b.jpg

is this thing like 50m now??, 1 King is so awesome in that 1st pic.... imo, the coolest condos in the city to live in are shangri-la, trump, and 1 king,

this building is flying up, already at like 20th floor. gonna be slow when the snow comes but after this winter by this time next year this thing is gonna be up there

It's here, the moment we've all been waiting for....
We have first glass! :)
(photos taken this afternoon)

6539686605_4f3200b1a2_b.jpg

6539688613_7f63da2c94_b.jpg

6539690117_b1d7ce461e_b.jpg

6539693337_ae7b804689_b.jpg

6539695367_0ce1305717_b.jpg

6539696647_833ededc95_b.jpg

6539697689_03419c0dc6_b.jpg

6539697689_03419c0dc6_b.jpg

6539700451_0af4bc8243_b.jpg

6539702533_2324bf14ed_b.jpg

Last edited:
... didn't come as a surprise to me (the look of the cladding) ^^^ the cladding definitely isn't a "four seasons" contender at all, but so long as it compliments the shape of the tower, i guess i'm fine with that.. it's all about the bigger picture. (sorta like how people don't like the cladding on the ROM's crystal, but as a whole it doesn't look so bad)

Is that blue or grey? It's hard to tell from the pics. God, I hope it looks more blueish in sunlight. All the grey going up in this city is just getting to me.

Yes, in person it does appear to be more blue than gray which is a relief. I think will turn out to be a good thing overall, and on a sunnier day it will probably show its colour better. Certainly no Four Season's contender, but were we really expecting this one to be of the same calibre?

Yes, in person it does appear to be more blue than gray which I think will turn out to be a good thing overall for this tower. On a sunnier day it will probably show its colour better. Certainly no Four Season's contender, but were we really expecting this one to be of the same quality?

initially (like a year or 2 ago) i was expecting cladding like Aura's, but the more i looked at the renders, the cheaper the glass looked... but at least this cladding has a lot of texture (by that i mean it isn't just a smooth curtain wall like four seasons), hopefully it'll compliment this towers curve.

I'm really surprised they went with windowwall for this. I know it's much cheaper, but on a project that's touting its architectural chops I just assumed they'd spring for the curtainwall.

Definitely too early to tell how it's going to come out, but so far I like the proportions and the detailing on those two frames. I'm curious to see how the colour comes off once there's more of it on the wall, but it looks like it's got at least a little bit of blue in it.

the thing to keep in mind here is that the colour on this one is in the window frames rather than the glass. I think that we will see a variation of window frames, likely with some spandrel to create the patternation implied in the renders... Even though the type of cladding is not the highest quality or most expensive, I think the effect promised here is going to be fairly unique for any building in the city.

Back