Votes: 43 25.3%
  • Missisauga

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Niagara Falls

Votes: 3 1.8%
  • Edmonton

Votes: 4 2.4%

• Total voters
Strictly for loftiness, variety and number I still will go with Montreal over Calgary. Although I have yet to see a good skyline shot of CAL with the new Bow, which in my opinion is the largest and most interesting skyscraper to be built in Canada since the 1960's. 4th would be Vancouver, which gets points for numbers, but its buildings are generic point towers and only two are of any significant height. Note I'm going by built form, not geographical features such as mountains and water etc- these don't count. As of 2011 I would say that Mississauga comes in 5th on my best skylines in Canada list, followed by Edmonton.

A few to sell you on Calgary. The Bow and Eighth Avenue Place bump up the calibre of this skyline significantly. Remember - metro of 1.2 million.

Surrealplaces on flickr

from Joeyjacobsdad on Flickr
5032588342_f1b59a081f_b.jpg

By lumin8 on flickr

clouds and light

By Bookerman on flickr
IMG_3866 Stitch

By Surrealplaces on flickr

By Wittynickname on flickr

Calgary's Autumn Skyline

By Surrealplaces on flickr

Last edited:
I'm surprised too. I think it's miles ahead of Montreal. I like Montreal's but I think Calgary's skyline is much taller and denser looking.

I'm surprised too. I think it's miles ahead of Montreal. I like Montreal's but I think Calgary's skyline is much taller and denser looking.
I guess they're all different. Vancouver's skyline - while shorter - is probably wider and has the water and mountains, while Montreal has the advantage of more older buildings and midrise density surrounding its skyline.

Quebec City has huge potential, seeing as it`s on top of a big cliff.

The topography is both a blessing and a curse in terms of skyline. Since some of the tallest buildings on the city are situated at the top of the cliff, they do appear to be very tall, as you can see here:

La rue par AndBrice, sur Flickr

However, it causes a problem when compared to buildings situated either on the decending slope or directly in the lower town since they are dwarfed in comparison. If Quebec city was situated on a flat landscape, its taller buildings wouldn't seem as high but there would be a much better sense of density as the plethora of midrises would appear in the skyline shots.

That beind said, Quebec City has many beautiful angles!!

sdrhy.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/cawolili/4847606239/sizes/l/in/pool-896869@N21/

Québec City par CCNQ, sur Flickr

Québec sunset par Max Potvin, sur Flickr

sth.jpg

http://convention.qc.ca/fr/medias/banque-de-photos

Quebec city from above - Québec vu du ciel par www.digitaldirect.ca, sur Flickr

boulLaurier18mai2008022.jpg

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=146150&page=15

Québec, la haute ville - Québec City, the upper town par plaurin19, sur Flickr

Les Plaines d'Abraham au petit matin - Early morning on the Plains of Abraham par plaurin19, sur Flickr

Maasdam a Quebec_0002 par richardlegare, sur Flickr

Lire la carte / Map reading par O.Lamalice, sur Flickr

Québec, Québec par flume, sur Flickr

Que 101 par lacasse, sur Flickr

It's a close call between Vancouver, Calgary, and Montreal. In the end, the quality and layering in Montreal wins the day. I might have put Vancouver first if it wasn't for the residential condo mistakes they've made. Too many, too similar, too much glass, and too short. That sea of blue/green glass just bores me to tears. The pre 1980 stuff is wonderful though.

It's hard to take a poll seriously that includes Niagara Falls but leaves out Ottawa and Quebec City. The Falls skyline is probably the worst in North America. Hey, maybe there needs to be a WORST skyline poll!

For me, a "good skyline" is simply a panorama of a city that I enjoy viewing and I get a lot of pleasure from looking at the cityscape of Quebec City. Saying that Quebec City doesn't have a good skyline would be like saying that Rome or Prague or Venice don't have good skylines. Frankly, I'd rather look at a panorama of Rome than Mississauga.

For me, a "good skyline" is simply a panorama of a city that I enjoy viewing and I get a lot of pleasure from looking at the cityscape of Quebec City. Saying that Quebec City doesn't have a good skyline would be like saying that Rome or Prague or Venice don't have good skylines. Frankly, I'd rather look at a panorama of Rome than Mississauga.

When Mississauga is spelled incorrectly, I'm not too worried about this poll snubbing Quebec City.

Back