Toronto The Britt Condos | 142.03m | 41s | Lanterra | Arcadis

Years ago the Sutton Place was the hot spot hotel in Toronto. Lots of celebrities stayed there. I think it was even featured on the 80s tv show "Lifestyles Of The Rich and Famous" :cool:

Correct me if i'm wrong but weren't most units in the Sutton converted to appartments a while ago? I've been told by others in the hotel industry that less then half the units were actually for the hotel.

I noted that on the previous page. I met someone a few years ago who lives there but haven't been in since the days when the Toronto Film Festival would set up satellite offices there. I believe it's the top half of the building that are rental apartments, some of the east facing apartments even have balconies. When I bought my first condo in Opera Place (phase 1) they launched sales in the top floor ballroom before the trailer/sales office was finally ready at the corner of Bay & Wellesley.

One thing I'm wondering: will the conversion maintain the existing aesthetic (or even restore it--including the original signage?)

One thing I'm wondering: will the conversion maintain the existing aesthetic (or even restore it--including the original signage?)

I bet the PoMo renovation elements will be go because they're at odds with the original architecture and out of style anyway, though I do hope they keep the style of the present rooftop signage. Then again, there are many typographical possibilities, but the original style seemed overly rigid.

I do hope they keep the style of the present rooftop signage... the original style seemed overly rigid.

I'm inclined to agree. I think the original all-caps treatment probably suited the building's sharp grid better, but I've always been fond of the current script. I always like seeing the red neon from King's College Circle, I'd hate to see it go.

I think the original all-caps treatment probably suited the building's sharp grid better,

...and that'd be my argument on behalf of the original. That kind of heavy serif lettering is *sooooo* befitting a 60s Anglo-brutalist vocabulary. The present script's wimpy girly stuff--the "best" argument on its behalf might be that people who've only really known it have gotten used to it...

I noted that on the previous page. I met someone a few years ago who lives there but haven't been in since the days when the Toronto Film Festival would set up satellite offices there. I believe it's the top half of the building that are rental apartments, some of the east facing apartments even have balconies. When I bought my first condo in Opera Place (phase 1) they launched sales in the top floor ballroom before the trailer/sales office was finally ready at the corner of Bay & Wellesley.

You're correct. Top half (approximately, but not exactly) are rentals, and the bottom is hotel. Likely scenario is the hotel portion gets converted to condos and the rentals get renovated to be slightly more upscale. Or they flip the uses. Condos replace the rentals up top, and rentals replace the hotel on the lower floors. Provided this can be negotiated with the rental board without paying cash in lieu, it's the best case scenario for the developer/project.

While there is no doubt that Lanterra is behind this project, I cannot believe that this is the HUGE HUGE HUGE project that they are supposed to have in the works for Bay Street. There is nothing huge about it. So I strongly suspect that there is some other Bay Street project they are working on, that has not been officially released yet -- or else the people who announced this as being HUGE were being ridiculously over-the-top in their descriptions.

, I cannot believe that this is the HUGE HUGE HUGE project that they are supposed to have in the works for Bay Street. There is nothing huge about it. So I strongly suspect that there is some other Bay Street project they are working on, that has not been officially released yet

Yeah, that is small change...Huge would be them purchasing the 45 Bay street property and proposing the future bus terminal with two or three 250 meter towers overtop.
Hey that could be in the works with future considerations to take over the existing Bay street bus terminal property.:cool::D

Last edited:

Back