News   Apr 23, 2024
 150     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 651     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 429     0 

Danforth Avenue--Victoria Park to Broadview: Then and Now

And the weird thing is how that naked sign skeleton is still there (though now as a prop for billboards)

Good eye adma , never noticed that at all. But then again , I spent most of my time on the Danforth trying not to get run over.

Danforth looking east to Westlake
DanforthlookingeasttoWestlake.jpg

DanforthlookingeasttoWestlaken.jpg

Danforth looking east to Rhodes
DanforthlookingeasttoRhodes.jpg

DanforthlookingeasttoRhodesn.jpg

Danforth and luttrell looking east
Danforthandluttrelllookingeast.jpg

DanforthandLuttrellookingeastn.jpg

Broadview looking south at Danforth
BroadviewlookingsouthatDanforth.jpg

BroadviewlookingsouthatDanforthn.jpg

Broadview and Danforth looking west
BroadviewandDanforthlookingwest.jpg

BroadviewandDanforthlookingwestn.jpg

Broadview and Danforth looking east
BroadviewandDanforthlookingeast.jpg

BroadviewandDanforthlookingeastn.jpg

Broadview and Danforth looking south east
BroadviewandDanforthlookingsoutheast.jpg

BroadviewandDanforthlookingsoutheastn.jpg

Last edited:
Danforth/BowdenlookingEast
BowdenlookingEast.jpg

Bowdenlookingeastn.jpg

Danforth/bowden2
bowden2.jpg

Bowden2n.jpg

Danforth/BloorViaductlookingeast
BloorViaductlookingeast.jpg

Bloorviaductlookingeastn.jpg

2301Danforth
2301Danforth.jpg

2301n.jpg

1138Danforth
1138Danforth.jpg

1138Danforthn.jpg

412danforth
412danforth.jpg

412Danforthn.jpg

44 gledhill
44gledhill.jpg

44Gledhilln.jpg

I know these were considered the sleepy suburbs at one time but it's still surprising to me to see how big the sidewalks and boulevards were.

A lot of sidewalk and front yards were lost widening streets to four lanes for cars and parking.

Danforth/BowdenlookingEast
BowdenlookingEast.jpg

This one (attached) may be of particular interest to you, brewster.
The former farmhouse was still behind the old Chambers Fish Market (now a restaurant).

Attachments

• yTN Danforth Bowden old house 1912.jpg
    yTN Danforth Bowden old house 1912.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 579
This one (attached) may be of particular interest to you, brewster.
The former farmhouse was still behind the old Chambers Fish Market (now a restaurant).

I didn't notice when I was on Bowden but thanks to Google Street View here we are.Thanks for the info Goldie.
FarmhouseonBowden.jpg

Speaking of Bowden , what in the world were they thinking when the Danforth Baptist Church or whoever had the steeple removed? It was a beautiful piece of art in itself.
bowden3.jpg

what in the world were they thinking when the Danforth Baptist Church or whoever had the steeple removed? It was a beautiful piece of art in itself.

Having been involved with the maintenance of a large church property, I would have to say cost. Things go un maintained for long enough that it costs too much to put them right.

And I might also allow for the possibility that it was deemed an "eyesore" at some point or another, i.e. removing it gave the church "clean lines", or something. (Past values; not mine.)

I've discovered that the old farmhouse (on Bowden) was built in 1870.
It's also evident that additions (another tower and steeple) were made to the church after 1912.

TN1870houseonBowdenatDanforth.jpg

Last edited:
I'll see if I can dig up a streetcar-themed image showing the old Robertson Motors neon sign atop their service building to add to this fantastic thread. I grew up just south of Danforth between Greenwood and Coxwell and the Robertson sign was definitely the landmark in that stretch. Great work on this thread!

I also remember the old bread bakery on the south side just west of Linnsmore being used as a Loblaws store until the late 1970s (visible at the right in the Ladysmith view) but haven't come across any photos of it as the Loblaws store. My parents used to walk there to do their regular grocery shopping until it closed - it was replaced by the store at Leslie & Lake Shore. I always wondered what was on the mysterious upper floors of the building but I guess they were used for storage or just closed off and unused. A Tamblyn drugstore (later became Boots) was in a single-storey addition to the store. The drugstore later became Pharma Plus and operated out of the newer building which now houses the Hakim Optical for several years until it closed.

Robertson Motors would be a blast from the past....I remember going their in the early 80s with my dad to buy his first new car, right off the showroom floor.

Robertson Motors, quick memory from 1982.
Used to live in Flemingdon Park, in one of the three penthouse apartments at 31/35 St Dennis. These apartments had fantastic views of the city, especially from the roof of the penthouse itself. ( I had a ladder on our deck) Due south of the rooftop deck outside my bedroom patio door I noticed a strange light. It would alternate from red to green and was quite the site at night.
It took me about three years to figure out it was the Robertson sign!

Back