Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

I think I would have preferred if the marquee was digital - much like the sign at Bay Adelaide Centre. It could show a graphic of the historic sign as installed but could be made dynamic through animated graphics for specific events, etc.

Although it may be true to original, I find the Maple Leaf Gardens font truly horrible. And it looks like the “Ryerson University†type is supposed to look changeable – but I think it’s permanently fixed like that. Right? To me it looks like a stage set.

I wasn't expecting it to say Maple Leaf Gardens at all because of the recent naming controversy stemming from MLSE's greedy and boorish stance on the issue.

They licensed the name. I think the dispute is between Ryerson and MLSE only.

+1.

I would hate to see a digital sign on this building. I love the classic look of the marquee they are putting up. It's gorgeous and it suits the building so well.

I'm really glad that most of the new finishes on the exterior look as original as possible, and that even the new ground-level cladding and window frames are dark bronze/black. Instead of going for a modern flashy statement, the architects have maintained as original a feel as possible for the exterior, and I think that makes a much stronger and more enjoyable statement.

The less tacky digital signs outside of Yonge Dundas Square, the better.

This marquee looks great.

The Lexington is quite the slab; I used to own an apartment there and wish for MLG to be redeveloped. The difference between it and many towers being built or proposed (I'm thinking of Karma especially) is that it offers apartments where you can actually live, not impossibly small rabbit cages. But not many people are concerned about that around here as long as it looks good.

I used to live in the Lexington for several years in the 1990s. Compared to more recent buildings, the units there are HUGE. Not to mention the great views from the rooftop (which was open to the residents).

Given a choice, I would much rather live in an older building with large units, that costs the same to live in as a newer building with tiny units, even if the newer building "looks better" from street level.

The Lexington is a terrific building, I've had several friends live there over the years. They have great sized apartments (most are 1200 [south side] or 1300 [north side] sq. ft. 2+2+solarium(s)), excellent facilities & a great location. The only problem are no heat pumps (A/C from May 15-Sept 15 only which isn't pleasant on the south side of the building in the spring & fall), no balconies (except the 3rd floor) no dogs & 8' ceilings - hardly problems really for what you get which is a great building and excellent apartments.

Back to Loblaws. Grabbed some shots walking the dog tonight.

S/E corner of Carlton & Church, main entrance -

Looking up to the second level through the Church St. windows, a dozen or so feet north of Carlton revealing the LCBO & cooking school

Marquee, unfortunately it's blocked with equipment right now & my shots are a little overexposed but it looks absolutely sensational!

Loblaws parking entrance/exit on Carlton at the west end of the building next to the Holiday Inn. It was open yesterday and I could see inside when I was on the Carlton car, it's all painted white and goes down/comes up with a curve and gentle climb/descent

The Church Street windows into two of the specialty areas, then a closer peek inside. Note the last photo and how deep the shopping area is on the right side of the picture. These were taken on the east side of the building looking west.

Last edited:
awesome pics ^^^ WOW! at night, this thing is an intersection changer! so bright! finally some life to this corner!

and wow. this thing looks nowhere near finished, they expect to open in a week??? 24 hour shifts otta do it.

and hopefully the loblaws parking doesn't cause too much trouble.

looks really good though... FINALLY Maple leaf square has some life.

I've complained about Loblaws before, no doubt, but I'll give them credit; this looks like it'll be one of the best supermarkets in the city. The care and attention to the overall MLG renovation is commendable as well.

^ Good point about the parking steveve. If eastbound left turns are allowed it could really slow down the streetcars, esp. on weekends. I wonder if the Hasty Market across the street will survive this.

Unless I'm going crazy, I recall another parking entrance being built on Wood Street. In any case, more than one entrance would be ideal.

Are they gonna leave those ceilings exposed like that, with all those ugly pipes and stuff everywhere. It looks like the inside of Metropolis, and since I consider Metropolis a disaster, it's not a compliment. Is that how you build an upscale food market? I hope they cover all that junk up.

Are they gonna leave those ceilings exposed like that, with all those ugly pipes and stuff everywhere. It looks like the inside of Metropolis, and since I consider Metropolis a disaster, it's not a compliment. Is that how you build an upscale food market? I hope they cover all that junk up.

Well, they're installing drop ceilings finished with the same wood-esque cladding on the pillars. If you're expecting the entire ceiling to be covered though, it won't be.

Personally, I like the industrial aesthetic the concrete and exposed ducts add though; very unique. Most Loblaws ceilings are that exposed fireproofed steel you see in all their sprawling real super mega store bunkers.

Well, they're installing drop ceilings finished with the same wood-esque cladding on the pillars. If you're expecting the entire ceiling to be covered though, it won't be.

Personally, I like the industrial aesthetic the concrete and exposed ducts add though; very unique. Most Loblaws ceilings are that exposed fireproofed steel you see in all their sprawling real super mega store bunkers.

Well, then you must really love Metropolis and Honest Ed's. I can understand that rough look in a discount store like Honest Ed's but I find it unacceptable in a supermarket that brags about having 400 kinds of cheese and upscale prices.

We all know that "industrial look" is just done to save money, no matter how you try to justify it. I think it's a cop-out.

Back