Toronto Ryerson's Mattamy Athletics Centre + Loblaws at the Gardens | ?m | ?s | Ryerson University | Turner Fleischer

It's too bad the Church Street side of the building is just windows and not real retail spaces. They should have at least put an entrance on the north part of Church street.

There is one door, plus an exit from somewhere about mid-block but your point is well taken, and I agree.

Work picked up on tarring and resurfacing the east roof (the south and north portions were done late last spring) and presumably the west roof now that the chillers and the HVAC appears to be in place. It's a heck of a mess up there but the west side is even worse.

Last call for the Toronto Maple Leaf's logo. Today:

Last edited:
Loblaws head office told me mid-November without a specific date; another forum member said 24th. Very soon, in any case. I went by yesterday and could see some finished surfaces and lighting. I had seen dry product on the shelves, covered in plastic, several seeks ago. They installed an illuminated Loblaws sign in recent days and there's an "opening soon" sign near the door.

I was in the building for the first time and work to be done at the top of the elevator.

From what I could see, shelves are stock with some work still on going.

I would say the 24th is a good date.

Had a look a Winners and nothing to write home about or even shop there. Not my Cup of Tea Store.

Worked picked up on tarring and resurfacing the east roof (the south and north portions were done late last spring) and presumably the west roof now that the chillers and the HVAC appears to be in place. It's a heck of a mess up there but the west side is even worse.

Last call for the Toronto Maple Leaf's logo. Today:

When I shot the building, a crane was loading trailers with construction material from the roof. I am assuming it was coming from within the building threw a hole in the roof on the west side.

My uncle took these a few min ago,

anyone know how high will the ceilings be at the Loblaws?

6371783267_5a869eed09_b.jpg

6371768891_9e4e1ac74e_b.jpg

6371775335_7a1e93bca5_b.jpg

edit:
I'll quote my uncle:
"I tried to take a picture of the inside and some guy from Loblaws came out and told me to delete it. It is top secret, but I could see a HUGE Sushi sign inside"

i guess they want to keep this under wraps until the grand opening!

Last edited:
Man, oh man. I'd love for someone to tell me to delete a photo like that.

I can't wait to be able to shop at this store. Metro will be seeing less of me.

Man, oh man. I'd love for someone to tell me to delete a photo like that.

I can't wait to be able to shop at this store. Metro will be seeing less of me.

Me too, and me too! I'm going to stop by one night this week and try to get some inside shots, they can just try and tell me to delete photos from my camera.
Both Metro's in the nabe are fairly small with really tight aisles, I mostly go there only for the fresh fish selection and flier specials then get the hell out! For most everything else I shop at Rabba or the great 'mom & pop' shops on Church Street - Reither's, Cumbrae's, Super Fresh Mart and Pusateri's. Occasionally I go to Longo's at Bloor & Park Rd., they have the best pasta sauces & pasta downtown, save for perhaps the fresh made pasta at St. Lawrence Market.

Me too, and me too! I'm going to stop by one night this week and try to get some inside shots, they can just try and tell me to delete photos from my camera.

LOL!.. if that's what makes you happy, go for it! :p

i really hope that carlton livens up with people... it's mostly a dead street imo, with very few pedestrians.. shame because MLS is such a cool building (could pass as a library in NYC or something)

I walk Carlton almost daily and it is certainly not a dead street even past midnight. It is by no means as busy as Yonge but why should it be? And oh my so many sushi options :D

I've been looking forward to this opening for a while now, I'll get some pics of the Loblaws and Ryerson gym as soon as I can - but the gym opens later on.

Loblaws has taken over all the advertising in the College subway station touting their Nov. 30th opening.

November 30 now; yikes these guys are taking lessons from the TTC in project management.

First they had a much earlier date (prior to November in mind); then after settling on November, they were 100% clear on November 9, and even pullled permits for closing a lane of Carlton for the grand opening.

Then they pushed it back again to Nov 23, again pulling permits from the City for that date....

And now its November 30.

No wonder their financials have been uninspired. I think they are the best of the 'Big 3' in grocery, but really, people......time is money.

Last edited:
It also means that some product has been sitting on shelves for a few weeks now. Granted, that's stuff in cans and with a long shelf life, but still.

It's certainly aggravating waiting for this store to open, especially for us in the neighbourhood but I'm looking forward to the 'awakening' of this low key strip of Carlton between Yonge & Church. Right now the closest shopping choices are the cheap but dreary No Frills on Sherbourne or the irritating Metro at College Park. This Loblaws sounds like it's going to offer some sophistication and foodie entertainment to enhance the shopping experience.

Back