706     4 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 627     1 

Toronto non-mall retail (Odds & Ends)

• Thread starter marksimpson7843
  • Start date
Wow, I had no idea. Very exciting. Hope they carry GANT Rugger.

So sadly there has been a delay in opening the GANT store. According to a rep at GANT USA, they have to fulfill a contractual obligation to open a Tommy Bahama store first so that location is no just a run-of-the-mill TB store. He assured me that they will be opening a GANT Toronto store soon.

Though the articles title contains 'Bloor' there's an interesting bit about Queen W:
http://www.thestar.com/business/article/1048262--bloor-rents-among-highest-in-world-top-in-canada

The story isn’t quite as upbeat on Queen St. W. — the only Canadian main street where rents have dropped as a number of big-name brands, such as Esprit, have shuttered stores, says Crombie.

“Queen has just righted itself in terms of rates,†which have dropped from highs hitting $140 per square foot to the more realistic $100-a-square-foot range, he says.

“There was a bit of a herd mentality: ‘I can’t be on Bloor so I’ve got to be on Queen Street.’ But retailers didn’t do their homework. The customer base was too young and they just weren’t spending.â€

The recent opening of Canada’s first Xbox 360 Central store on Queen just west of Spadina Ave. — touted as the hands-on “hub of all things entertainment and gaming†— is evidence of how the district is being “refreshed,†says Crombie.

“The retailers that should have been there are now going there and the retailers that shouldn’t have been there have vacated.â€

That’s left Queen West storefronts beter suited to “unique, one-off†retail, he added.

The candy store "Tutti Frutti" at Yonge and Carlton has not closed after all, it seems. :) The closing signs are also gone as far as I could see.

Is Steve's expanding or moving next door?

steves.jpg

I debated it, and decided against giving these tidbits their own thread.

Some random bits of Loblaws news:

Rumoured opening date of MLG: Nov 9 ....(just a rumour......:) )

Rumours about said store: Real scratch bakers and trained chefs in the plan.

Product News: PC Black Label (high end, gourmet products) to launch at many Loblaws branded stores in higher income locales.......by the 1st week of October.

Roughly over 150 items......the list was briefly visible today, via google, before Loblaws squashed that...........

Includes everything from Truffled Olive Oil to Champagne Vinaigrette; a ton of odds and sods, tough to say about quality pending trying them; but the buzz is good.

The surplus store at Yonge & St. Joseph that was displaced by Five Condominium and moved directly across the street is having a closing sale. They were in their old location for decades and only lasted about 6 months across the street.

The surplus store at Yonge & St. Joseph that was displaced by Five Condominium and moved directly across the street is having a closing sale. They were in their old location for decades and only lasted about 6 months across the street.

I was surprised to see this. I suspect that they owned the building at their old location and discovered it was not so profitable when you had to pay today's rent.

In other downtown retail news - FabricLand in the Hudson-Bay Centre is gone for good.

That's a real shame. That surplus store carries all kinds of random goodies that are a real pain to find anywhere else. I'm definitely going to have to pop in to see if there's any good buys to be found

For $7.50 plus tax I bought a fab, late 1950s / early 1960s metallic blue dinner jacket with a black hatched pattern and high lapels at Value Willage last week. It'll go nicely with the vintage tuxedo pants I bought at the Sunday Market a couple of months ago. May wear them to Rigoletto soon.

Application: Building Additions/Alterations Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 277495 BLD 00 BA Accepted Date: Sep 19, 2011

Project: Multiple Unit Building Interior Alterations

Description: Interior alterations for retail store on ground floor. New tenant - "The Beer Store".

While a lot of the vacancies North of Dundas up to Bloor have been filled up in the last 6 month or so (there are still some but less then there used to be), just south of Dundas, there are few prominent ones now (Pier one, an old money mart like location, and a few others).

While a lot of the vacancies North of Dundas up to Bloor have been filled up in the last 6 month or so (there are still some but less then there used to be), just south of Dundas, there are few prominent ones now (Pier one, an old money mart like location, and a few others).

huh, Pier one is where ING is no ? The money mart is becomming a tim hortens. But your right there are a couple more south of dundas.

Back