Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

OK... Now I'm worried... This thing hasn't moved in a month. And don't give me the old... "Podium levels take longer to construct" line... This ain't no podium! LOL

What do you mean ... it moved up a floor since the july 24th photo.

OK... Now I'm worried... This thing hasn't moved in a month. And don't give me the old... "Podium levels take longer to construct" line... This ain't no podium! LOL

Are you sure it hasn't moved? Check out androiduk's photos from July 24 and from yesterday, less than three weeks later. It looks like they've gone up one floor:

ljly24.jpg

laug10.jpg

Yep, they've gone up by a floor. I think construction is lagging a bit due to the recent holidays, heat wave and then its been rainning all week.

Plus, I'm pretty sure the shaved-off snout results in some added complexity at this point of construction. This thing is moving at a pretty good clip I think.

Can someone explain why the crane is on the outside of the structure. Typically you would have the crane within the structure and then it would move up (jacked) with the building. I just can't see the vertical column/support for the crane extending 58s.

I think the final shape (especially near the sloping top) would make it hard to get the crane off, when the work its work is finished. The crane will be external all the way to the top.

I just have a bit of a general question about how the crane operator gets into/out of the cab every day. Once it gets a little taller he(she?) won't have to climb dozens of stairs within the crane support right? I assume they would just take a construction hoist up to the top then over to the crane. But how would this be accomplished? Would some special platform be installed to get from the building to the crane that would be constantly moved up with the tower?
Thanks in advance to whomever knows the ins-and-outs of crane operation. lol

Can someone explain why the crane is on the outside of the structure. Typically you would have the crane within the structure and then it would move up (jacked) with the building. I just can't see the vertical column/support for the crane extending 58s.

Many buildings use external cranes for various reasons. As Cal said, the roof feature on L-Tower comes to a slanted point, making an internal jumping-crane problematic. Also, 58 floors is normal for these eternal cranes. The Shard in London required them due to the tapering sides and they went up over 200 meters, before they switched to a side-hanging one to construct the highest elements.

The operator has to climb all the way from the ground until the first mechanical tie-back level is reached ( as shown in the top image). Once the building and tower are tall enough for a tie-back level, then the operator ascends in a construction elevator to the tie-back level, crosses the tie-back and continues climbing inside the crane's tower until they reach the cab. It's a minimum 10 floor climb every day up and down.

External hanging crane:

(Images from FelixJ2011 on Flickr found Here )

Last edited:
The operator has to climb all the way from the ground until the first mechanical tie-back level is reached ( as shown in the top image). Once the building and tower are tall enough for a tie-back level, then the operator ascends in a construction elevator to the tie-back level, crosses the tie-back and continues climbing inside the crane's tower until they reach the cab. It's a minimum 10 floor climb every day up and down.

Sorry for the quick detour off topic but you got my curiosity. Given how much climbing up to the cab is necessary for the crane operator, I assume that they spend the whole day in there, probably taking their lunch up with them. Do they also "use the bathroom" in their cab? How does that work? I sound like a 4th grader asking about Space travel, but I am curious :)

I've seen cranes where the operator has just had a bucket to relieve himself in, and I've also heard of cranes that had chemical toilets on board

They have 2 large sections of the glass cladding behind the Sony Centre. It looks like 3 clear glass panels mixed with one light greenish glass panal and of course, small grey spandrel panels along the bottom. The metal framing is a blueish/grey tint. I just wish they could have done without the grey spandrel.

Back