Toronto First Canadian Place Rejuvenation | 298.08m | 72s | Brookfield | MdeAS Architects

Alright I'm just going to go ahead and say it... when this is completed it will be THE best looking modern office tower in North America. Sure the Chrysler building or Empire State Building might have some art deco thing going on if that turns you on, but in terms of clean simple modern design nothing beats this. Prove me wrong with pictures if you disagree.

I personally like Willis, John Hancock, and even Scotia better..
(I like others better too, but I'm keeping to the "clean simple modern design")

Okay not counting Chicago. :)

Scotia is gross BTW and Trump tower is making it look even worse. Green and Pink. Yuk.

Uh, re "clean simple modern design" epitomes, turna you head

2485550604_205fc1d998.jpg

^^^ Nice shot.

I love those buildings. Okay, well what if we say best looking white building.

lol

Soon it'll be the best looking 72 story, white building, with giant metal antenna, in the GTA, on King street and Bay, in 2011 :)

Soctia plaza is my favorite in Toronto and the World for the matter.

Last edited:
Alright I'm just going to go ahead and say it... when this is completed it will be THE best looking modern office tower in North America. Sure the Chrysler building or Empire State Building might have some art deco thing going on if that turns you on, but in terms of clean simple modern design nothing beats this. Prove me wrong with pictures if you disagree.

I was surprised to hear this statement about FCP, though the reclad does make it look sharp. Never mind the "clean modern design" limitation, the T-D Centre is one of the finest collections of skyscrapers in the world. Those are towers which will probably prove just as classic in time as the great Art Deco towers in New York.

This is heavily debateable,
If "modern" is anything pre-21st century, then its hard to justify, but heck, there is no single building that is universally considered best, they all are so different.... If we narrow it down by decade, it becomes easier

I was surprised to hear this statement about FCP, though the reclad does make it look sharp. Never mind the "clean modern design" limitation, the T-D Centre is one of the finest collections of skyscrapers in the world. Those are towers which will probably prove just as classic in time as the great Art Deco towers in New York.

I couldn't disagree more. The TD Centre has absolutely nothing on the Chrysler Building or any deco skyscraper. I think the former is extremely overrated. It's decent at best, in my opinion. It's way too minimal to really excite me. The TD Centre is only appreciated by skyscraper geeks. The average person wouldn't see anything special about it, whereas anyone can appreciate the detailing in an art deco building. I don't think the TD Centre will ever be revered by the masses as something monumental.

I couldn't disagree more. The TD Centre has absolutely nothing on the Chrysler Building or any deco skyscraper. I think the former is extremely overrated. It's decent at best, in my opinion. It's way too minimal to really excite me. The TD Centre is only appreciated by skyscraper geeks. The average person wouldn't see anything special about it, whereas anyone can appreciate the detailing in an art deco building. I don't think the TD Centre will ever be revered by the masses as something monumental.

Agreed.
A minimalist box done well might appeal to those with a deeper understanding of architecture but it'll never be revered by the masses as much as those timeless art-deco classics.

Back