News   Mar 28, 2024
 356     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 363     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 711     0 

Proposed renaming of Dundas Street

London doesn't seem to have a problem North Greenwich station always showing up as North Greenwich for the O2 on all the maps and documents - can't say I've taken the tube that far east though ... not sure what they've put in the station.

At least in that case it's O2 Arena. It might just be a case of making it easier for people to find their destination (maybe people were heading to the wrong station?). It's not like it's a blatant sellout/cash grab, and also it's a new station (1999) which doesn't have the heritage importance of Covent Garden or Bank Station (that's not to say age should play a role. I think all names should be hands off).

If Ryerson's willing to pay for Dundas maybe U of T will do the same for St. George.
BUT if I were those guys I'd be pissed York University gets an eponymous station for free. Is it too late to change that to something like "Black Creek" and see if York will pay to keep the name?

Slightly more seriously, the naming thing could work if we end up with actual landmarks (even if they're private enterprise) that make some kind of sense. Eaton Centre, Ryerson, Dundas Sq, Casa Loma - these all make sense. Something like McDonald's or Taco Bell or whatever is what ends up seeming stupid.

glad to see that someone is on the same page as me! cheers!

sheppard west station = downsview park (this has already been planned)
north york center station = mel lastman square
leslie station = north york general hospital

There's no monetary gain possible here because these places are owned by the same people who fund the TTC anyway.

union station = cn tower or air canada center or toronto city hall (again, whichever one has the highest bid)

I would leave Union as is, because it is extremely important to associate the subway station with the train station. However a CN Tower, ACC or Rogers Centre station would be quite likely on a DRL if they choose a Front or Wellington alignment.

don mills station = fairview mall

I think this one is the most promising. Associating the subway station with the mall would probably be good for business, so I think Fairview might be willing to pay some money for it.

yorkdale station = yorkdale mall

I don't think Yorkdale will pay to add "mall" to the station name. Everyone already associates the station with the mall anyway.

if anything the long-term economic benefits of naming the stations or sponsoring them can be seen as a way of keeping the individual stations in a state of good repair? Have the private company pay for the up-keep and maintenance of their station which in turn is good for their advertising, and voila the TTC has one less station to worry about!

dundas station = toronto life square or ryerson university (whichever one has the highest bid)
And this is the problem ... names change. Toronto Life Square when bankrupt (again) a couple of years ago, and is now called 10 Dundas East

I would liked to seen the Sam The Record Man station, but too late. However, even though the Eaton department store only exits under the name of some other company, the Eaton Centre station could still be shown, until they get around to change the name of the centre that is.

I have no problem with naming rights as long as they are the name of a major destination near the station. Renaming Wellesley Station to RBC station would be stupid, but naming Dundas after the Eaton Centre and/or Ryerson would actually help a lot of people. Same with Don Mills-Fairview Mall.

It does seem unfair to charge Ryerson for the name since York will be getting it for free.

How about we just sell the rights to exclusive in-station advertising, but keep the names. Let one company/organization adopt the station and install some creative and semi-permanent (but removable) advertising...

If we change the names, we'll enter a cycle of name changes and that will be confusing (plus imagine the cost of updating the city-wide station maps and signage)

With all this talk i just realized that 3/4 of Toronto's Universities will soon be linked together by a single subway line...

It would be ridiculously easy if you could go from Ryerson to 'University of Toronto' to York University for the average commuter rather than the current situation.

Question is... Since Ryerson is beside Dundas Sq, i think most people in the city would prefer the station to be called "Dundas Square" just like they have Times Square station in New York City.

Maybe "Dundas Square - Ryerson"?

lol. lets sell the Dundas Square name too - maybe it could be Ryerson's Dundas Square. ca-ching! :)

I have no problem with naming rights as long as they are the name of a major destination near the station. Renaming Wellesley Station to RBC station would be stupid, but naming Dundas after the Eaton Centre and/or Ryerson would actually help a lot of people. Same with Don Mills-Fairview Mall.

It does seem unfair to charge Ryerson for the name since York will be getting it for free.

I agree with the whole York thing. Maybe they could work out a deal that, like Ryerson with Dundas and U of T with St. George, to have some interesting advertisements for the university within the station (advertising different programs, some nice photos of the campus, etc etc etc).

Also, I think renaming Queen Station "Eaton Centre" and Dundas Station "Ryerson-Dundas Square" would be better, as then you get two renames instead of just one. I do also agree on most of the other name changes too ("University of Toronto-St. George", "Fairview", etc). A few more to consider:

-"Science Centre" for Eglinton and Don Mills
-"Eglinton Square" for Eglinton and Victoria Park
-"Pearson Airport" for the Eglinton LRT Pearson stops
-"CitiPlace" for the future DRL station at Spadina
-"Sherway" for the future extension of the Bloor line

I'd also much prefer it to be plastered with a university, museum, or other "public" advertising scheme as opposed to being corporate advertising. Seeing the new LRT station at Don Mills and Eglinton plastered with science stuff to me would be far more unique and interesting than seeing it plastered with BMO financial posters and stuff.
I'm in the same boat and think it has to do with information overload in today's society. Adverts that inform or teach are so rare nowadays (remember the Canadian Heritage or Hinderland Canada commericals?), and we tend to turn out all the other visual spam.

The main issue I see using 'public' advertisers is that, it's not actually tapping into a different money source, it's the public people paying for increased involvement in a redesign.

How much money can naming rights actually bring in? What percentage of the TTC operating budget would be covered by naming rights? My guess is that it would be minuscule, and not worth the cheapening of the overall system.
The new advertising deal garentees a minimum of $27 million a year for the next 12 years system-wide, compared to an operating budget of $1,507 million; 1.8% of operating costs and ignoring the capital investments that the money would actually mostly go towards.

Remodelling Dundas Station could easily cost upwards of $20 million. Over a 12-year term, that's $1.667m a year Ryerson would have to fundraise, or $50 per student. What about hitting up Rogers' for half and calling it "Ted Rogers School of Management Station"?

London doesn't seem to have a problem North Greenwich station always showing up as North Greenwich for the O2 on all the maps and documents - can't say I've taken the tube that far east though ... not sure what they've put in the station.
The original name in 2000 for the O2 Arena area was the Millennium Dome and the original station name was Millenium Station. In 2001, after the "Millennium Experience" the station reverted to "North Greenwich" and the area suffered political idleness. When the sold the Arena naming rights, in 2005 for £6 million-per-year, part of the deal the the resoration of the Tube's tourist branding.

How about we just sell the rights to exclusive in-station advertising, but keep the names. Let one company/organization adopt the station and install some creative and semi-permanent (but removable) advertising...

If we change the names, we'll enter a cycle of name changes and that will be confusing (plus imagine the cost of updating the city-wide station maps and signage)
We've already done this with "station domination" campaigns. As it's an existing technique no new revenue would be generated.

The original name in 2000 for the O2 Arena area was the Millennium Dome and the original station name was Millenium Station. In 2001, after the "Millennium Experience" the station reverted to "North Greenwich" and the area suffered political idleness. When the sold the Arena naming rights, in 2005 for £6 million-per-year, part of the deal the the resoration of the Tube's tourist branding.

As far as I know, it was always called "North Greenwich Station - for the Dome"

The original name in 2000 for the O2 Arena area was the Millennium Dome and the original station name was Millenium Station.
No ... it was called North Greenwich from day 1. I seem to recall that instead of saying "for O2" on the maps it said "for the Dome".

Back