News   Apr 18, 2024
 650     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 239     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 559     0 

Historic photos from Toronto on this day

February 23rd: Two photos from the Feb 23rd Historic Toronto Photos page, starting with this City of Toronto Archives shot in what is now The Discovery District of old houses, and construction at 104 Elm Street in 1912:
s0372_ss0032_it0049.jpg

Then a shot from the York University Library of the Royal Theatre at 606 College Street in 1955:
asc03405.jpg.preview.jpg

Ah, had that Dupont + Spadina Scotiabank lasted another generation, it'd be appreciated. (Then again, it probably would have been unsympathetically re-signed or worse if it lasted that long.)

Ah, had that Dupont + Spadina Scotiabank lasted another generation, it'd be appreciated. (Then again, it probably would have been unsympathetically re-signed or worse if it lasted that long.)

True! Although it might have made a good subway entrance, if a bit confusing.

February 24th: Two City of Toronto Archive photos on the Historic Toronto photos page for Feb 24th starting way back in 1899, of the entrance to Rosedale Creek sewer after the breaking up of the Don River in Riverdale Park with the Toronto Necropolis in the background:

s0376_fl0002_it0019.jpg

Then more snow, this time in 1913, of Withrow Park — south section from Carlaw Avenue, in 1913:
s0372_ss0052_it0028.jpg

The stone-clad Modern design looks great, but Dupont Station transformed that corner. It went from a conservative Modern building that could have been located anywhere to something that made the intersection unmistakable.

Not arguing that point. Just, *had it* survived, bla bla. (And no, I'm not trying to place it on a level w/the old Bank of Toronto or Registry Office as losses-on-behalf-of-something-better.)

Lets not write off the significance of the bank without more evidence... The 'Panda Associates' collection in the University of Calgary Canadian Architectural Archives has 5 or so photos of the Bank of Nova Scotia on the corner of Dupont and Spadina, from 1953.

I'm not sure if these images will work for others... Here's the interior (see http://contentdm.ucalgary.ca/u?/pan,1948 )
getimage.exe

getimage.exe

And the enclosed area at the front, from http://contentdm.ucalgary.ca/u?/pan,1946
getimage.exe

February 27th: A bunch of photos from the February 27th list of Historic Toronto Photos, starting back in 1915 in Moss Park of the start of the Boys Skating Championships race (not quite a sell out crowd there in the bleachers):
s0372_ss0052_it0493.jpg

Then on the same day we have a photo of the early days of a project that would change Toronto forever - looking east across the Don Valley at the start of the Bloor Street Viaduct construction:

f1231_it1869.jpg

Then in 1923 we have a winter view from Summerhill of the Roxborough Pharmacy and gas station on Yonge Street:
s0372_ss0001_it0614.jpg

Finally, there are a range of photos in the City of Toronto Archives of the visit of Chinese officials to John Inglis Co., Ltd. in 1942, in what is now Liberty Village, including Major General Whang Ping-hing inspecting a Bren gun:
f1257_s1057_it2176.jpg

And a photo of a female worker demonstrating one of the machines:
f1257_s1057_it2170.jpg

In the last photo, the man wearing glasses with hat in hand is also outfitted with

SPATS!

Regards,
J T

I've said it before...I'll say it again. These pics always enlighten me and make me happy when the buildings that are in them have been restored and saved! The sad thing to me, and I may be sounding horribly sentimentalist...sorry.....I see young people in them and realize they are now probably already gone, based on the years...it feels so weird to me!

"Gotta love SPATS! Like 'spam' maybe the word will soon be re-purposed for some modern meaning, it is too good a word to loose altogether." QUOTE seemsartless.

The word "spats", appears to stand (sorry) on it's own whereas the term "SPAM", is in actuallity

SPiced hAM.

Regourds,
J T

"Gotta love SPATS! Like 'spam' maybe the word will soon be re-purposed for some modern meaning, it is too good a word to loose altogether." QUOTE seemsartless.

Perhaps we need another photo for this "spats" revival.

Attachments

• spats.jpg
    spats.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 263
"start of the Boys Skating Championships race. (not quite a sell out crowd there in the bleachers.)" QUOTE FROM ABOVE PIC.

Take note of style of skate worn by the Official (hockey skate) and the type of by the Racers -

GENUINE SPEED SKATES.

(These kids were serious!)

Regards,
J T

Last edited:

Back