News   Apr 24, 2024
 961     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 620     0 

The Tenor (10 Dundas St E, Ent Prop Trust, 10s, Baldwin & Franklin)

• Thread starter billy corgan19982
  • Start date
Anyway, you know what I mean. They're leasing it and I'm sure the lease is for a considerable time considering the relatively recent investment they put into redesigning the building.

But that's not the main argument. The burned down Empress Hotel would have no access to the main lobby of 10 Dundas. It backs on to the loading docks. This property wouldn't enhance the complex, which is reflected in their disinterest in acquiring it.

Last edited:
No, they did a major overhaul around the time Metropolis was opening. The silver cladding, the round picture window, all of the interior is new.

Was it also expanded around that time? I don't recall the blue HMV being as wide inside.

I think I actually preferred the previous version. They had that window/stage thing that opened onto Yonge St., and I could swear I remember watching bands making appearances on it.

Okay, forget about HMV :)

This is great news - thanks for sharing this Metro Man - I take it no time line was presented - any idea if a deal with dave and busters is still in the works as well ?

No, they did a major overhaul around the time Metropolis was opening. The silver cladding, the round picture window, all of the interior is new.

I've heard a rumor that some if not all of HMV is available as a sublease or head lease...also as you may have seen Forever XXI is opening in the eaton centre so I assume the NW corner of Yong e& Dundas is available as well.

I wonder to what degree retail has lost, or is losing, interest in Yonge/Dundas in favour of other more lucrative areas? The square is pretty much a gaping hole in the retail fabric and with Ryerson steadily encroaching to the north on the east side and not much happening to the south of it on either side is it any wonder that major retail chains are closing up shop here (Forever XXI for example, and Pier I which will not be replaced by retail)?

... and this is not to suggest that there isn't still a high volume of retail in the area (Eaton Centre, Atrium and Toronto Life) but that most of it at street level still remains fairly low-end... and whereas at one point I would have thought that big US retailers would be vying for space in what would emerge as an important and revitalized retail/commercial node here it is clear they have been passing it over for other more lucrative retail destinations lik Bloor, Yorkdale, King or Queen West.

This makes me wonder if the retail potential here has been squandered somewhat due to so many damaging long term hits (the decade-long hoarding at Metropolis, the collapse at Yonge and Gould, the destruction of Sam's, etc). We at UT follow these things closely but the public at large doesn't, and it may just be that enough collateral damage has created a negative impression that will be difficult to bounce back from as big retail remains wary and as Ryerson poises itself to swoop in?

Fortunately the square and plaza in front of the Eaton Centre still always feel busy thanks to the adjacent transit nodes and event planning etcl, and hopefully Yonge/Dundas can continue to weather the storm and will benefit from the eventual expansion of retail east along Bloor to Yonge, and down Yonge to Yonge/Dundas?

I am not sure why there were many on the board clammering for 10 Dundas to take over more land, when what exists of the building now is an aesthetic nightmare.

I am not quite sure there is any evidence of "retail" losing interest in Yonge Dundas. There were never a wide variety of chain stores outside of Eaton Centre and Yonge Street has had vacant spots and turnover for years (if not decades). If anything, the chains appear to be moving in, not out of the area (10 Dundas, Best Buy and CanTire etc).

Wasn't HMV rennovated much earlier than Metropolis' opening? I think it was closer to when Metropolis was breaking ground, or even before that.

With Forever 21 moving into Eaton Centre, does anyone think Simons (or Express) could take their old spot at Yonge & Dundas?

A little tidbit of information that I can't completely reveal because somebody would get in some serious shit but since I have a little anonymity here I can pull the veil just a bit: one of the flagship tenants is threatening to leave soon. All I can say is that it would be a major blow to the entire complex if they follow through.

The property owner has got to get cracking on improving the appeal of 10 Dundas Sq. pronto.

Last edited:
Well, speculating from that post, assuming it's either adidas or Shoppers this might actually be good for the complex. Losing either of them would allow for a significant reconfiguration of the building, which in turn would let the new owners start to turn things around. The Shoppers could be replaced with some sort of attraction or destination retail that would give people a reason to go down to the basement (or it could at least be carved up to allow for some seating so that the food vendors can survive), and if the adidas goes it would let them reconfigure the lobby by moving the entrance over to the corner.

Somehow I doubt it's the Future Shop, the AMC or either of the big restaurants. They all seem to be doing well (with the exception of Woo's, which was pretty dead the one time I went to check it out)

A little tidbit of information that I can't completely reveal because somebody would get in some serious shit but since I have a little anonymity here I can pull the veil just a bit: one of the flagship tenants is threatening to leave soon. All I can say is that it would be a major blow to the entire complex if they follow through.

The property owner has got to get cracking on improving the appeal of 10 Dundas Sq. pronto.

If you can't share who (which is understandable) can you share why ? Is it the layout and I take it that's effecting their sales ?

I wonder to what degree retail has lost, or is losing, interest in Yonge/Dundas in favour of other more lucrative areas? The square is pretty much a gaping hole in the retail fabric and with Ryerson steadily encroaching to the north on the east side and not much happening to the south of it on either side is it any wonder that major retail chains are closing up shop here (Forever XXI for example, and Pier I which will not be replaced by retail)?

... and this is not to suggest that there isn't still a high volume of retail in the area (Eaton Centre, Atrium and Toronto Life) but that most of it at street level still remains fairly low-end... and whereas at one point I would have thought that big US retailers would be vying for space in what would emerge as an important and revitalized retail/commercial node here it is clear they have been passing it over for other more lucrative retail destinations lik Bloor, Yorkdale, King or Queen West.

This makes me wonder if the retail potential here has been squandered somewhat due to so many damaging long term hits (the decade-long hoarding at Metropolis, the collapse at Yonge and Gould, the destruction of Sam's, etc). We at UT follow these things closely but the public at large doesn't, and it may just be that enough collateral damage has created a negative impression that will be difficult to bounce back from as big retail remains wary and as Ryerson poises itself to swoop in?

Fortunately the square and plaza in front of the Eaton Centre still always feel busy thanks to the adjacent transit nodes and event planning etcl, and hopefully Yonge/Dundas can continue to weather the storm and will benefit from the eventual expansion of retail east along Bloor to Yonge, and down Yonge to Yonge/Dundas?

There are those who still blame all of this on the raging success of Eaton Centre, which has no trouble keeping itself rented out. Long ago when it was new, a few strident voices lamented its "sucking the life out of" Yonge St. I believe that is what continues to happen. It is the wuss factor in our society that is being catered to.

Maybe there's hope. Looks to me like Yonge will be loaded up with condos in the next ten years. Hopefully they will contain enough humans to warrant more retail vitality on Yonge. Or maybe everyone will cave to the "no PATH, no me" sentiment.

Back