Toronto Studio and Studio2 on Richmond | 131.06m | 41s | Aspen Ridge | BDP Quadrangle

its not the lightning, its the pretentiousness

Yes, almost all marketing is pretentious (especially for condos) because that's the point of marketing - claiming/creating the appearance of importance. Some of the recent condo ad campaigns have blown Studio away on the pretentiousness scale. Have you seen the videos for Bisha or Ice?

Marketing is marketing. Let's not ascribe too much importance to it.

Yes, almost all marketing is pretentious (especially for condos) because that's the point of marketing - claiming/creating the appearance of importance. Some of the recent condo ad campaigns have blown Studio away on the pretentiousness scale. Have you seen the videos for Bisha or Ice?

Marketing is marketing. Let's not ascribe too much importance to it.

You’re right….there are worse examples…

speaking of marketing, its amazing how many campaigns are done by one company, Montana Steele. They are almost at the point of having a near monopoly on the marketing of new condos in Toronto.

Among the campaigns they’ve done or are doing:

One Bedford
Murano
Festival Tower
Residence at Ritz-Carlton
Ice Condos
U Condos
Garment Factory Lofts
Fly Condos
The Hudson
Victory Condos
Liberty Market
Bohemian embassy
The Florian
Metropolis
London
Madison Ave Lofts
Toy Factory Lofts

interestingly Studio is not among them....maybe the campaign is by some Oedipal upstart

Last edited:
You’re right….there are worse examples…

speaking of marketing, its amazing how many campaigns are done by one company, Montana Steele. They are almost at the point of having a near monopoly on the marketing of new condos in Toronto.

I actually had a job interview there, a few years ago. Seemed like an unpleasant place to work.

I would love if the (near useless) posts about marketing could be moved to a different area besides this one (as they have nothing to do with urban issues, architecture and contruction).

Montana Steele is definitely a large fish, but no where near close to holding a monopoly. Check out LA Ads, Guidelines, G. Ryan Design (just to name a few).

I would love if the (near useless) posts about marketing could be moved to a different area besides this one (as they have nothing to do with urban issues, architecture and contruction).

that's a rather dour approach isn't it? anyway, whats 'useless' about discussing the marketing of the building?

at present the building exists ONLY as marketing--since the site is a vacant lot.

Last edited:
According to our numbers, LA Ads was the top advertiser as of Q2-2010 representing 38 active projects, followed by Montana Steele with 35, Guidelines with 23 projects, G. Ryan Design with 20, The Drive Agency with 16 and the Brand Factory with 11.

According to our numbers, LA Ads was the top advertiser as of Q2-2010 representing 38 active projects, followed by Montana Steele with 35, Guidelines with 23 projects, G. Ryan Design with 20, The Drive Agency with 16 and the Brand Factory with 11.

Hey BMyers,

Is your information only for metro-TO condos? Most of these marketing firms do a lot of work in the low-rise arena, and I would love to see a total of low and high-rise.....

that's a rather dour approach isn't it? anyway, whats 'useless' about discussing the marketing of the building?r

Useless, because it has little to no consequence on the aesthetic of the building or how the structure ultimately relates to the neighbourhood or the city as a whole. To put it more simply, it has nothing to do with anything, whatsoever.

I might as well go onto an advertising forum and talk about building heights and cladding.

iSlutsky: Condominium apartments only. Yes, Guidelines and G. Ryan are very active in low-rise.

Useless, because it has little to no consequence on the aesthetic of the building or how the structure ultimately relates to the neighbourhood or the city as a whole. To put it more simply, it has nothing to do with anything, whatsoever.

I might as well go onto an advertising forum and talk about building heights and cladding.

yeesh--can you spell "crabby"?

ok, grandpa, we'll get off your lawn now.

682815f3.gif

c8466713.jpg

Besides, marketers can have an effect on the ultimate appearance, architecture, materials of a building. The arrows on flow charts do not always point in one direction.

Besides, marketers can have an effect on the ultimate appearance, architecture, materials of a building. The arrows on flow charts do not always point in one direction.

don't forget the fine print on marketing material ...
*artist's render for illustratative purposes only

A few weeks ago, they put up more hoarding along Richmond St. I didn't really think it was much of an update, so I didn't bother to post it. Anyway here you can see it:

2010.08.27%20(2).jpg

Also when I took that photo, they were taking down the huge billboard along the western part of this lot. They also took down one of the Pattison advertising columns, which is seen laying on the ground on the behind the public parking sign. This happened on Aug. 27. Maybe they are building this one without any sales?

2010.08.27%20(1).jpg

Last edited:

Back