News   May 21, 2024
 147     0 
News   May 17, 2024
 3.1K     5 
News   May 17, 2024
 2.2K     3 

Metrolinx strategy for funding and building Transit City and Viva

If wishes were horses, then beggars would ride.

I just have one question: Why would GTAA defer the LRT reaching the airport? Wouldn't they support the LRT to the airport?

I didn't get this part either. Was the GTAA on the hook to pay for the station within the airport itself? Do they want to somehow link it to the tram they've currently got running (that they've had a number of problems with)?

What's there to get? It's yet another brainchild of poor planning and fiscal mismanagement. $900 million for 11 kilometres of Finch West LRT that only goes to Keele St? What a joke. At least Metrolinx is good at keeping the airport cabbies gainfully employed in aeternum.

Expensive,, slow, cannot be automated, too long to build, completely disjointed. This is complete mickey mouse territory. It's an affront to the taxpayers, the long suffering Toronto commuters, and to urban planners everywhere.
A pathetic and laughable little attempt at mass/rapid transit.

Add a GO stop at, roughly, Black Creek and Eglinton....make, both, the Georgetown GO and the Airport express thing stop there and you have a pretty good connector to the Airport from Eglinton.....establishing what the fare from there would be might be trick but if what we are saying is that the cost cuts mean Eglinton can't go to the airport, at least connect it to something that does (something that is being built anyway)....added benefit of connecting GO to a higher density area and potentially driving more people onto the GO service.

A go station at this intersection has been in the plans for a long time

I would have preferred the Finch West LRT start sooner, considering should be fairly straight forward to construct. But I can live with schedule, and hopefully the next mayor makes the effort yo find money to accelerate the schedule.

The airport is not a major destination. I'm glad it was deferred for more important phases, namely actually serving people rather than some destination for a limited number of riders.

Airport connections tend to be much more popular among voters than raw ridership numbers justify. I'm not surprised to see the this part deprioritized after the project was turned over to Metrolinx's non-politician board.

It fails to serve many parts of the cities

What parts of the "cities" are those? Show me an area of the city that is not covered under Phase 1 or 2 of MoTo, and I'll show you one that's not covered under TC. Nice grammar mistake btw ;).

focuses far to much money on servicing Scarborough Centre

Yes, have fun cramming onto an LRT at STC that has nearly the same capacity as the current SRT, and then transferring at Kennedy. Great improvement. Scarborough Centre needs a subway. Period.

and provides a ridiculous amount of capacity to the extreme parts of Eglinton which have even lower forecasted ridership than the Sheppard subway

And connects to one of the busiest airports in the world. It also puts a subway at Mississauga's doorstep, with a direct connection to the Mississauga Transitway. Ridership numbers are extremely flexible, change a couple bus routes around, and you can drastically alter ridership projections.

The guys who wrote it couldn't even sort out the grammar in the document - and we are supposed to believe that they could do the difficult stuff correctly?

Are you questioning my planning competency based on a couple grammar mistakes in a 20 page document?

Yes, have fun cramming onto an LRT at STC that has nearly the same capacity as the current SRT, and then transferring at Kennedy. Great improvement. Scarborough Centre needs a subway. Period.

?

I've been on the SRT right after work (many times) and that thing is crammed, not to mention that people are already lining up after the doors shut for the next one. Now imagine how many more rides will be using the the SRT when it's built passed the 401 and finial send it up to Malvern mall.

Just to let Gweed know, Pearson doesn't even break the top 30 busiest airports this year.

Last edited:
I've been on the SRT right after work (many times) and that thing is crammed, not to mention that people are already lining up after the doors shut for the next one. Now imagine how many more rides will be using the the SRT when it's built passed the 401 and finial send it up to Malvern mall.

The LRT conversion is going to double the capacity of the current SRT.

Back