News   Mar 28, 2024
 462     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 782     0 

Toronto Parks vs. Montreal Parks - and public use

Homer

Member Bio
Reaction score
and people of Toronto don't seem to use public space (parks, squares)
like they do in other places (like Montreal) even when it is provided.

and people of Toronto don't seem to use public space (parks, squares)
like they do in other places (like Montreal) even when it is provided.

bull...

Homer, I know you're trying to help, but I'm not convinced that generalizations like that add anything to the argument. One has to look at the make up and surroundings of each square, both here and away, to determine if we are talking apples and apples or apples and oranges. Your generalization is also open to quick refutation, as I can list squares in Toronto that are popular destinations, and ones in Montreal that are not.

- - -

There's no doubt in my mind that if Yonge Eglinton Square were an attractive place for people to use, they would. I do not believe the current make up of the square is particularly attractive, and neither do the protesters who are trying to keep the square: everyone wants something better than what is there now. There are more ways than one that people would like to see the space improved however: what City Council has to decide here is whether what the owner, RioCan, wants is a reasonable change, and if it is, then council has no legal right to stop it.

Yes it definitely is a generalization but so what... unless a statement is 100% true then it is a generalization and that means there are exceptions to the rule, and rarely is something 100% true but it doesn't mean it is not a valid statement.

I guess also what I meant is more about neighbourhood parks that don't have swings or anything like that just benches. I know in Montreal parks like that the people from the neighbourhood fill the park just sitting and talking, although I notice people here of ethnicty are more likely to be more social that way. (again a generalization but seems to be part of the culture)

I notice these things like when people fought for a park at the old Greenwood Race track. I though it was silly considering the beach park system was right there and figured the park would be little used except for the immediate homes with dogs to take them for there dump.

Yonge/Eglinton needs more places to sit. Everyone sits at the base of the flag poles because it is accessable. Some climb up on the concrete planters but they are to high. If there were more places to sit the square would be more used.

Having said that I think what the councillor said is true, it is a good compromise between the fact it is not a public space
technically speaking, and the requirement by landuse agreement for open space (not required to be a square though).

As someone who has lived mostly in park rich Toronto neighbourhoods, I do find it quite spooky that the young and eligible cruise in a graveyard! To me, that takes the mixed-use concept a tad overboard.

Yonge and Eglinton is very park rich. Sherwood park, Eglinton Park, Davisville Park are all within a 5-10 min walk and are all fairly large, especially the former two.

senior UT member ..obviously have no learned a thing

Well a coupe things at least no? ...
The English language for one :)

Anyway ... should I elaborate?
I've been to Montreal many a times and by no means do they make use of their parks / squares / what not ... to a larger extent then we do.

If you're implying they have more festivals or what not ... sure, that may be the case, no idea really.

But on any nice day I suggest you visit one of Toronto's many parks to see just how busy they get.
People use parks / people love parks here ... stating anything to the contrary implies you clearly haven't stepped foot in many.

btw, I meant no offense by the statement if you took it that way ... I just figured that one word summarized the above quite clearly and elegantly for that matter.

oh I knew you would comment on that, it is actually
my typing ability, or lack of it, not my English..

No I am not talking about all their festivals I am talking
about neighbourhood parks. Yes people of Toronto use
parks when it is nice out, or programmed well, but they
don't spontanteously gather (for the hell of it) in the
little neighbourhood parks. In Montreal they do, it is
partly what they are known for. Sorry but if you have visited
Montreal so many times and you don't see the difference
I really have nothing more to say.

oh I knew you would comment on that, it is actually
my typing ability, or lack of it, not my English..

No I am not talking about all their festivals I am talking
about neighbourhood parks. Yes people of Toronto use
parks when it is nice out, or programmed well, but they
don't spontanteously gather (for the hell of it) in the
little neighbourhood parks. In Montreal they do, it is
partly what they are known for. Sorry but if you have visited
Montreal so many times and you don't see the difference
I really have nothing more to say.

Yes, quite possibility not ... it would probably take staying there for a long duration to see this spontaneous gathering, for the hell of it. I'd reckon this gathering typically takes place on nice days outside, that being the case, again we here in Toronto do use our parks.

Very few of our parks are 'well programmed' - and by that I think your implying there are set activities to do - so considering how we still gather, that must be for the hell of it as well :)

If you arguing they use there parks to a greater extent throughout the year i.e. even when the weather is bad, I could by that ... once it's below 0 here people tend to run and hide.

How about this, tell me a small neighbourhood park in Toronto that you think is filled with people
sitting around talking enjoying tihe park on a warm summer evening and I will go there see for
myself. Anyone.

Don't know when I will be in Montreal next but next time I am I will get you picture of same in
Montreal filled with neighbours just sitting around and enjoying the park and conversation and..
And I mean full of neighbours.

How Montrealers (especially French Canadians) use their parks and squares is quite astonishingly different than how Torontonians use theirs. The closest to Mtl-style is perhaps Trinity-Bellwoods' in the past few years--people openly smoking weed, openly drinking wine or beer, passionate political discussions, passionate love-making :D, "yard sales", easy pickups with total strangers. In T-Bellwoods, it's still hard to pick up random girls--they stare, then you approach them and they treat you like a creep. Not so in Mtl! :D

Homer: In Toronto, I've found Sorauren Park to be very neighbourly, it's a bit easier to meet people there but still, people have "boundaries." Polite chatter is allowed.

Last edited:
Check any of the waterfront parks
HtO
Harbour Square Park
Little Norway Park
Canoe Landing (and its not even open yet)

And many of the small parks downtown
Berczy Park
St. James Park
Moss Park
Barbara Ann Scott Park
etc.

There are tonnes of parks that are bustling with people on good summer days. Pretty much any park will be well used when the weather is great.

How Montrealers (especially French Canadians) use their parks and squares is quite astonishingly different than how Torontonians use theirs. The closest to Mtl-style is perhaps Trinity-Bellwoods' in the past few years--people openly smoking weed, openly drinking wine or beer, passionate political discussions, passionate love-making :D, "yard sales", easy pickups with total strangers. In T-Bellwoods, it's still hard to pick up random girls--they stare, then you approach them and they treat you like a creep. Not so in Mtl! :D

Homer: In Toronto, I've found Sorauren Park to be very neighbourly, it's a bit easier to meet people there but still, people have "boundaries." Polite chatter is allowed.

Ok I will try Sorauren Park and totally agree with about Montrealers use of their parks. I thought it was well known fact but apparently not.

Well, I'm not disagreement however, the girls typically in Montreal have much lower standards than those in Toronto. That may have something to do with their relative ease. Their interest lies more with a sugar daddy that will treat them like a queen. That usually involves someone of a lesser quality to themselves. More class than the puck bunnies of Southern Ontario though.

Back