Toronto Yonge Eglinton Centre | ?m | 37s | RioCan | P + S / IBI

I've lived in the area for 15 years and I have never once seen more than a handful of people in the actual part in the middle. Usually kids hanging out right at the corner but that's it. The only use for it has been cutting off a couple of seconds when walking from the corner to Dominion (now Metro)

Why is everyone criticising/mocking the protesters? What they did was completely reasonable and honourable; I wish I could have attended. Advocating the retention of public spaces/squares seems completely consonant with the underlying motive/nature of this entire forum, of appreciating urban spaces. No one ever said this square is particularly great; I think the message is more that it has potential to become a central public space and it shouldn't be precluded so frivolously. I'm very happy that there are people who care enough about these issues to lead protests like this rather than the usual armchair/internet apathy.

But that isn't a public space, and even if it were it isn't a space worth saving. The trade-off benefit of having a much nicer (albeit smaller) space along with the added density at a subway station and the greatly improved mall offset any losses

and people of Toronto don't seem to use public space (parks, squares)
like they do in other places (like Montreal) even when it is provided.

and people of Toronto don't seem to use public space (parks, squares)
like they do in other places (like Montreal) even when it is provided.

bull...

Homer, I know you're trying to help, but I'm not convinced that generalizations like that add anything to the argument. One has to look at the make up and surroundings of each square, both here and away, to determine if we are talking apples and apples or apples and oranges. Your generalization is also open to quick refutation, as I can list squares in Toronto that are popular destinations, and ones in Montreal that are not.

- - -

There's no doubt in my mind that if Yonge Eglinton Square were an attractive place for people to use, they would. I do not believe the current make up of the square is particularly attractive, and neither do the protesters who are trying to keep the square: everyone wants something better than what is there now. There are more ways than one that people would like to see the space improved however: what City Council has to decide here is whether what the owner, RioCan, wants is a reasonable change, and if it is, then council has no legal right to stop it.

The rezoning application has passed at City Council, with some amendments.

Please find below my mash up of the motion with the amendments italicized - all terribly unofficial - but hopefully not wrong.

1. City Council amend Zoning By-law 438-86 substantially in accordance with the draft Zoning By-law Amendment attached as Attachment No. 9 to the report (February 16, 2010) from the Director, Community Planning, North York District.

2. City Council authorize the City Solicitor to make such stylistic and technical changes to the draft Zoning By-law Amendment as may be required.

3. City Council require the community benefits detailed below to be secured in a Section 37 Agreement between the Owner and the City of Toronto, and that Agreement be registered on title to the satisfaction of the City Solicitor, before introducing the necessary Bills to Council for enactment.

4. City Council require the owner to provide the following facilities, services and matters pursuant to Section 37 of the Planning Act:

a. Prior to the issuance of any building permit for additional office space above the existing office buildings on site, the Owner make public art contribution of $250,000 in accordance with the Percent for Public Art Program be located on a publicly accessible portion of the site to the satisfaction of the Chief Planner;

b. Prior to the issuance of any building permit for the retail addition, public access be secured over the open space at the corner of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue West and the open space on the roof of the proposed retail addition to the satisfaction of the City Solicitor and Chief Planner;

c. A Community Steering Committee to be established, in consultation with the Chief Planner and Executive Director, City Planning, the City's Public Realm Unit, and the local Councillor, to review the Site Plan Application for the subject lands as it relates to the design of the proposed at-grade open space at the corner of Yonge Street and Eglinton Avenue, and to assist with the programming of the open space, at grade and for the rooftop garden, and to assist with the re-location of the public art that is currently located on the square; and

d. Creation of a historical museum on site to acknowledge the importance of North Toronto’s history, through memorative plaques, tiles or pictures.

e. A $20,000 contribution be made by RioCan for the purposes of funding community programming, the open space at grade, the rooftop garden and the renovated public garden, to be allocated in consultation with the Community Steering Committee. "

5. City Council require the Owner to obtain a Notice of Approval Conditions from the Director of Community Planning, North York District, prior to the introduction of the necessary Bills to Council.

6. City Council direct the General Manager, Transportation Services Division, to study the feasibility of expanding the westerly portion of the Yonge Street sidewalk at Eglinton Avenue and the installation of a pedestrian scramble at the time the Eglinton Crosstown LRT becomes operational.

Recorded vote:

4/1/2010 3:19:19 PM “NY32.49 - Motion 2 - Stintz” 38 yea+3 nay,2/3 maj,quorum

YES Ainslie YES Augimeri YES Bussin [Chair] YES Carroll YES Cho YES Davis YES De Baeremaeker YES Del Grande YES Di Giorgio YES Feldman YES Filion YES Fletcher YES Giambrone YES Grimes YES Hall YES Heaps YES Holyday YES Jenkins YES Lee YES Lindsay Luby YES McConnell YES Mihevc YES Milczyn YES Miller YES Minnan-Wong YES Moeser YES Moscoe YES Nunziata YES Ootes YES Palacio YES Pantalone YES Parker YES Perks YES Perruzza YES Rae YES Shiner YES Stintz YES Vaughan

NO Ashton NO Ford NO Walker

- - -

So, there you go.

Last edited:
From interchange42

Fletcher: for
Ford: against - we should listen to the people, they pay our bills
Feldman: for - current configuration fosters jaywalking, cites Crombie's support
Holyday: for - concerned that the mall will decline if renewal is not allowed
Ootes: appeared to be asleep behind Holyday, then moved out of camera sight
Vaughan: reluctantly for - cites no-one in Square on Google maps sat shots, city needs the offices on offer, city gave this away in 67, trying to get Transit City back on because he believes that without it, this project will not go forward
Carroll: against's Moscoe's motion to defer
Lee: speaks for it

end of debate

3:18 PM Amendment by Councillor Walker to refuse the rezoning application: FAILS 7 - 33

3:20 PM Amendment by Councillor Stintz CARRIES 38 to 3

3:22 PM Pantalone motion to CARRIES 40 to 1

3:23 PM Moscoe 450 sq m parkland dedicationa t the corner FAILS 9 to 32

3:24 PM Item as amended CARRIES 34 to 7

My father used to work in the office building at this location. He worked there as late as 1994 and the place has already undergone extensive renovations. It used to have an Eaton's store that closed when Eaton's initially had troubles (not the collapse of 1999 or whenever it was), the Keg used to be where Pickle Barrel is and I remember there being a 4th storey to the retail space, but it was small and had Pat & Mario's or something. The corner could use some sprucing up, but just not sure I like the proposal as is.

Well, this was buried deep.. Not sure if anyone had posted this brief video. I know we've seen the exterior renders before...

http://www.riocanyec.com/

I'm really looking forward to this redevelopment getting started since it was approved earlier this year.
Looks like Riocan is calling the new development/square "C^3 , The Cube" They shouldn't have a problem leasing the new space given their 2009 annual report shows 97.9% lease rate for Yonge-Eglinton Centre.

The only recent planning/scheduling doc. I could find was this from Aug. 2010 which includes mention of the new Eglinton underground LRT: http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2010/pg/bgrd/backgroundfile-32769.pdf

Does anyone live in the neighbourhood? Any new leasing signs or other activity?

Back