Markham Remington Centre | ?m | 33s | Remington Group | Kohn

More Green Concepts

Thanks Solaris! I know but I just don't want to carry on the old topic about Remington Centre over there. :(

Since people just focus "color issues". Here I rather provide more "Green" colors for our (all mankind) future constructions.

I work with the company that have lots green projects in different continents, both Canada and China. And I found that development in China accept the green elements much easier than we do here in Canada. They are willing to apply into their new projects.

We have finished our first railway station in 2007 which is heated and cooled by geothermal. And recently we have another railway stations under construction, total area is about 150,000 sq meters. Ontario government delegation visited the site in 2009.

I think more and more huge projects like Remington Centre will use geothermal heating and cooling systems in the near future. And I think more and more investment funding will be ready for future "Green" energy model. That will be the trends and direction of Canadian properties development in the future.

Remington has redesigned the interior based to feedback to give it a more high end luxury mall environment and to differentiate it from other Asian malls. They are trying to attract international retailers to this development.

South-entry_lg.jpg
North-entry_lg.jpg
stage_lg.jpg
food-court_lg.jpg
Level3_lg.jpg
Level2_lg.jpg
Pine-fountain_lg.jpg
Night-Market.jpg

I attended the public launch this passed Sunday and there was a lot of buzz and interest...I beleive they've already sold off all of the small retail condo spaces that were for sale. However, they will have plenty of room for larger retail units (unlike Pacific Mall) and they will most definately attract national and international retailers to this project. At around 800,000 sq.ft. this centre will anchor the Asian community to Kennedy & Steeles within Markham and in the GTA as well. I like the many green initiatives, the fully integrated parking structure (3,500 spaces) and the overall design and ambition shown by The Remington Group.

Remington has redesigned the interior based to feedback to give it a more high end luxury mall environment and to differentiate it from other Asian malls.

I think the differentiation is from other Asian malls in the GTA. All the interior renderings I've seen of Remington Centre makes me think that if built, this will be the most "Asian-modern" mall in the GTA, if not in all of North America. Compare the renderings above with images of some recently-built malls in Hong Kong...

2162374323_b878fb3152.jpg

ifc

2122272544_af2cbec30b.jpg

Element

LA_Festival-Walk-lo.aspx

Festival Walk

Without vast improvements I don't see pacific mall (the original) continuing to exist after this, at least not in the sense it does today.

Moreover ... does the splendid china tower really think it has a chance of expansion given this?
That''ll likely turn into an ever larger failure ... with the entire mall being abounded ... and no second phase being built.

The only chance splendid china tower phase two has a chance is if it goes bigger and better in the second phase.

found this ~5 minute long 3D animation video comprehensively showing the Remington Centre proposal:

[video=youtube;Eo8R91IOa4Q]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eo8R91IOa4Q[/video]

As a member of the Architectural community in Toronto I feel the need to voice my opinion about those renderings.

How can Remington pay such an atrocious amount on those renderings and have the basis of an Asian Mall represented by a Dominantly Caucasion image.......

Without vast improvements I don't see pacific mall (the original) continuing to exist after this, at least not in the sense it does today.

Moreover ... does the splendid china tower really think it has a chance of expansion given this?
That''ll likely turn into an ever larger failure ... with the entire mall being abounded ... and no second phase being built.

The only chance splendid china tower phase two has a chance is if it goes bigger and better in the second phase.

pacific mall is upgrading too
57bee6bb4b689de77ef72d573f68.jpeg

called pacific 2 it will feature two-level expansion will feature a four-level garage atop the retail levels, as well as surface and underground garage connected to the existing space.
In total, it will increase parking by 1,300 to 1,500 spaces.

and i think splendid china tower should have a chance of expansion with both p mall and market village doubling in size it will transform the area to an azn shopping mecca

The Residences of Remington Centre

Update: Two luxury condos to be built connected to the mall with sales starting next June.

Apparently the Remington Group will control a portion of the larger retail units and is securing luxury retailers (LVMH, Richemont) to open in the mall. I suspect condo prices will set new records for Markham. The retail units have already sold for $2000 per sq. ft.

406269945Large.jpg
915502209Large.jpg
176304759Large.jpg

Hmm, this is interesting, 2 slight variations... but seems like Remington has substantially changed the highrise portion of their proposal from one original 20s tower to two (30s + 40s) towers, I wonder if any approvals have been sought (my guess in NO)

While I do liike taller buildings in general (non-slab bldgs), I do not like the new proposal's 4 storey above grade exposed parking garage, this will look hideous on Steeles ... in addition it seems like the podium was expanded quite a bit to acccomodate the new 2nd tower, which means the public square proposed was reduced in size (which is never good)

Previous Proposal - version 1.0

Version 2.0

Version 2.1

I received news from an agent that Remington Centre Residence condos will be priced from $550-$600 per sq. ft. for pre-construction.

Back