Toronto One Bloor East | 257.24m | 76s | Great Gulf | Hariri Pontarini

Yeah, 65 floors is huge, I am very happy.

What's more important than height is architectural design (duhhh) so I am far more anticipating the style/design/siteplan than anything else.

I have to say I'm really disappointed by this news. Not by the height but by the mostly single usage of the space at such an important intersection. At this point it's easyto say that the Bazis building would have added much more to the area with its 4 stories of retail and 5-star hotel. Even Aura is giving way more back to its neighborhood than this proposal is. With the recent worries about condos strangling future office space I think this is the wrong direction for this corner. I hope this proposal gets rejected (if possible at this point) and either much more retail (including underground connecting to the Subway), a good chunk of office space, or a proposal closer to Bazis is resurrected.

Coal Harbour ain't that great. Over-priced, maybe......no, definitely over-priced. Who'd want to pay their prices just to get rained on all the time. Pfffft!

Anyway, back on topic: I'm glad to hear something, at least. I'm not too optimistic about GG running the show though, but it's too late for that, I suppose, unless they end up floundering like Bazis did. Ooooh, can you imagine? Another hyped-up sales flow leading to another cancellation and change of hands! How exciting that would be....again.

I was expecting a lot more retail space than 70,000 sq. ft. That's really not that much for such a prominant location.

What's wrong with 65 floors?

I personally don't see a problem with this tower being 65 floors. It's still a very tall building. I'm just hoping that the a design and architecture of this tower isn't another glass box. Here's hoping that something interesting is coming...

I think 65 floors can work @ Yonge + Bloor (of course higher the better IMO :p) ... but I just hope GG doesn't disappoint with 'yet another glass box' ~

Last edited:
Maybe they will call it "Two Bloor", as in, the second try. That would be delightfully confusing.

How much space was the original building proposing?

Four stories in addition to a hotel. I'm not sure about the square footage.

My biggest concern is whether this project will actually bring life and vitality to the intersection. More retail would help.

Last edited:
I agree that this site has much more potential. It's not that 65 stories is bad or anything, but with a reduced podium it just won't have the street level effect. Sure we were all hoping for something in the 900 to 1000 foot range, but at 65 stories it's not going to happen. However, anything less than a 800 footer is a missed opportunity.

When did aA get handed this one - I thought we were under the impression that it was HP?

I personally would love to see "aA" do this nice tall condo. They do good things with all of their sites and they vary their architectural solutions. We may end up seeing other than a "standard fat slab condo" at Y&B.

Generally I feel positive about this development and I cautiously say "things are looking up" -- my reservation: I too am hoping for a strong retail component, and to all of you height-obsessed types, yes, I agree that taller than 65 storeys would be better; let's have some prestige at Yonge & Bloor. Just do it.

I personally would love to see "aA" do this nice tall condo. They do good things with all of their sites and they vary their architectural solutions. We may end up seeing other than a "standard fat slab condo" at Y&B.

aA varying their architectural solutions ?? I beg to differ ... but not to go OT, I'll take this discussion elsewhere ~

Back