Toronto 400 Wellington West | 38m | 12s | Sorbara | SMV

That stretch of Wellington street has the potential to be one of Toronto's great streets. It's wide, it's tree-lined and a lot of the warehouses and potential new condos have an excellent scale. Some of the giant sidewalk cafes that dot the landscape attest to the potential of this street.

Of course, in typical Toronto fashion, the street's splendor is completely compromised by shitty streetscaping and the presence of private parking pads on what could be the greatest sidewalk in the city.

Having recently come back from Barcelona, and going back in a few days, I realized that stretch of Wellington can be a perfect recreation of Las Ramblas.

Narrow sidewalk along the buildings, one lane of traffic each way, and a wide pedestrian sidewalk in the middle of the road; with the patios of respective restaurants, kiosks and a few fountains.

This was the plan a couple of years ago. Slow progress but you can see the vision. It will be truly fantastic if the City and developers can work together.

masterplan1.jpg

proposedstreetscapeimpr.jpg

looks great. I hope they can complete that plan consistently along Wellington west of spadina. It will be a great area and will help fill in the area between cityplace and king west.

wellington map

Great map.
Looks like the yellow buildings are in a construction phase or slated for consrtuction.
What about the orange buildings?

Official Construction Start - January 15, 2010!

Sorbara started notifying purchasers today in writing that the official construction start is January 15, 2010. They also have their shoring and underslab drainage permit.

Let's go go go!!

We now have a construction site - Parking Lot Closed!

Good news,
The parking lot is now closed, a construction trailer is now on site and a backhoe was doing some exploratory digging!
Excavation supposed to start in 8 days.

400construction.jpg

great to see the activity on site. Anyone who purchased this was informed of the expected occupancy date? I remember reading winter 2010 a while back but not sure if that still applies.

...expected occupancy date... not sure if that still applies?

How many times has this question been asked in virtually every single thread and the reply that it gets is always the same.

I do not recall a significant project in this city that takes shorter then 2 years from the commencement of shoring to occupancy. T-Squared there will be quite a wait on this one.

Back