News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 328     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Brampton GO Station: Proposed Development (if you hate GO surface lots...)

Underground parking is about $30,000 per spot, so to build 472 spots is over $14 million. See, this is why parking shouldn't be free, because, well, it's not.

Hamilton's GO station has no on-site parking spaces, and it manages pretty well.

Last edited:
They don't even need to go underground, which, though preferable, is more costly than to build an above-ground parking structure which they could, conceivably, build at the space occupied by their second lot in the area.

Underground parking is about $30,000 per spot, so to build 472 spots is over $14 million. See, this is why parking shouldn't be free, because, well, it's not.

Hamilton's GO station has no on-site parking spaces, and it manages pretty well.

Totally different situation.....that is like saying Union Station has no parking........and aren't they building a new station in Hamilton to take the bulk of the expanded service? a new station with parking?

They don't even need to go underground, which, though preferable, is more costly than to build an above-ground parking structure which they could, conceivably, build at the space occupied by their second lot in the area.

The two other lots were described earlier....one is two small a footprint to effectively and cost efficiently replace the lost spots. As I mentioned earlier the south lot might be able to do that but you would first have to determine the impact of the Blade condo development on the site (ie. is the parking site gonna even survive).

My apologies; I thought you said the lot not adjacent to the condo lands would be able to have a parking garage built upon it.

Maybe just for fun, they should build the hotel/CC with as many parking spots as planned, displacing the current GO Transit spots just to see what would happen with ridership. An experiment!

My apologies; I thought you said the lot not adjacent to the condo lands would be able to have a parking garage built upon it.

Maybe just for fun, they should build the hotel/CC with as many parking spots as planned, displacing the current GO Transit spots just to see what would happen with ridership. An experiment!

It could have a small garage built, but very small floorplate leading to very expensive build and low parking spot yield.

The problem with experiments is that they ignore that what you are dealing with is people's ability to get to work and earn a living.

I doubt that this hotel gets built......since the city seems to think they can get the feds and province to put in all of the public money......but it would have to be considered carefully if it were.

Regardless, sooner or later something will have to be done here. It's quite unsustainable to have that much space taken up by surface parking anywhere, least of all in the centre of one of Canada's bigger cities.
I'm sure if they thought to consult those that use the train station here and worked closely with GO Transit, something beneficial to all sides could be worked out. Everyone walking their own path, so to speak, when co-operation between all parties with interest in the site should be the way, won't make anyone happy.

Back