News   Apr 19, 2024
 365     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 9.1K     2 

Bed bugs so bad in Toronto they'll soon spread on transit, in theatres.

I didn't say it would be easy, it would rely on neighbours watching neighbours who seemed to be headed somewhere. Residents in other parts of the city could discreetly observe people who looked like they were from the Wellsley/Church area. (This is NOT racial profiling.)

I don't believe any heavy handed govt involvement is required or practical, I'm just talking common sense here.

/\
Well, I suspect that this is the unequalled comedy quote of the day, if not the entire month of November.
I guess the Parliament Street and Sherbourne Street dollaramas will be doing a big run on headscarves and dark sunglasses shortly.

suspicion.jpg

Last edited:
"How do you suggest to an entire neighborhood that they should stay inside or not wander too far off from their homes because they might spread bugs elsewhere?

How exactly would this work?

And what about residents in other homes and buildings throughout the city? How exactly do you restrict their access till the bugs disappear?"

I didn't say it would be easy, it would rely on neighbours watching neighbours who seemed to be headed somewhere. Residents in other parts of the city could discreetly observe people who looked like they were from the Wellsley/Church area. (This is NOT racial profiling.)

I don't believe any heavy handed govt involvement is required or practical, I'm just talking common sense here.

Come on, your not serious are you? Am I missing the joke? Bed bugs are spreading like wildfire, demonizing one neighbourhood as having problems with bed bugs (well, you've identified two now) is completely inaccurate. Below is a map of the Toronto area from a website that people have happened to come across, taken the time to register and reported bed bugs in their building or hotel. Imagine how many people don't know about this website or can't be bothered to report where else bedbugs are so they don't appear on this site? This map represents only a fraction of the problem as it exists today. It's staggering.

bb.jpg

On the same level of absurdity --Looking at the map, all I can think is that Rosedale has to become a gated community. It should be surrounded by a Berlin (er...bedbug) Wall. Anyone who tried to enter would be subject to nude searches, and all cars driving in by the only remaining road, Mount Pleasant, would be fumigated.

I frankly resent my comments, which are well-intentioned, being mocked or misconstrewed. I have practically graduated from George Brown unlike some others.
Since we're talking facts here, lets consider Rosedale as was brought up.
1) Curbside matresses are more likely to be carted OUT of Rosedale than IN because they are a beter quality. Meaning Rosedale people wouldn't take mattresses from, say, Wellesley & Jarvis. This is a bed-bug barrier.
2) People in Rosesale are more discriminating in who they embrace socially or sexually than residents of the above area, or even Riverdale. And that is NOT because they are Anglo Saxons, its more about economics.
So the point I am illustrating is that certain neighbourhoods require greater measures to fight infestation.
This is a good discussion.

And 3) Residents in Rosedale are far more likely to be the ones doing travelling - thus picking up bed bugs elsewhere (a rather well known mode of transmission).
- and just does who one embrace socially and sexually has anything to do with bed bugs? I hate to be crude, but you don't get them from shaking hands or intercourse.

AoD

I thought you got them from intercourse.

Yes...they can spread from person to person. They can't jump from one person to another, but intimate contact surely can. I saw this on Dr.Oz the other day, the show that my wife makes me watch when I come home from work. Also, bedbugs were all but eradicated in the 70's and 80's, however since the banning of certain pesticides and chemicals, they have made a major comeback.

I ask that everyone remain calm while I assimilate this information into my containment model.

I thought you got them from intercourse.

because they call them "bed bugs" ? nudge nudge ;)

you could get them if you go over someone's home to have sex with them and they hitch a ride on your stuff back to your place but penetration isn't how you get them.

Just think of the resulting friction burns.

it's enough to start a bush fire! ;)

p.s, if anyone thinks human sexual intercourse is immoral, just look at how these "things" do it; traumatic insemination :eek: at least humans use pre-existing holes.

I frankly resent my comments, which are well-intentioned, being mocked or misconstrewed. I have practically graduated from George Brown unlike some others.
I didn't even realize George Brown had a bed bug studies program.

Since we're talking facts here, lets consider Rosedale as was brought up.
1) Curbside matresses are more likely to be carted OUT of Rosedale than IN because they are a beter quality. Meaning Rosedale people wouldn't take mattresses from, say, Wellesley & Jarvis. This is a bed-bug barrier.
2) People in Rosesale are more discriminating in who they embrace socially or sexually than residents of the above area, or even Riverdale. And that is NOT because they are Anglo Saxons, its more about economics.
So the point I am illustrating is that certain neighbourhoods require greater measures to fight infestation.
This is a good discussion.

Buildup I'm sure your a good guy but can you please stop dumping on the Sherbourne & Wellesley/Jarvis & Wellesley neighbourhoods? They're no worse or better than other downtown neighbourhoods like the bed bug problems that condos are having on Bay Street, one of the CityPlace buildings that I know of and a luxury, high-end rental building which shall remain nameless. No one living in a condo is going to go public with bed bug problems for obvious reasons, people who rent and stay in hotels have much more to gain when these are discovered so that's why they are more likely to be publicly reported on websites and discussion boards.

In my job I visit people from all over the city. I have to do intensive interviews with the people I visit. I can't tell you how widespread bed bugs are. In our policy and procedure manuals, we are not to sit down in anyone's home...eventhough I am there for an hour at one time. I have bed bug spray in my car to spray my shoes provided to me by my employer. I have seen bed bugs crawling over furniture, on walls and even on the people I visit.
Bed bugs do well in HIGH DENSITY housing where there is people moving out and in frequently. The reason why poorer buildings have worse infestations is because people with less money rent and move more often, bringing the bugs with them. ALL shelters in Toronto are infested and they can't get rid of the bugs, they just controll them. Individuals whom have experienced homelessness, and have lived in shelters, bring bugs with them when they move into more permenant housing...I don't need to point out that these "more permanent housing units" are in poorer areas. Condos do get them, but, since people buy condos, and therefore don't move as often, they are not at as high risk. When they do get infestations, they address them quicker. Most buildings that are infested are, unfortunatley,are where people whom have a higher amount of mentally and physically comprimised people who can't address the problem

Back