News   Apr 19, 2024
 884     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 661     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

St Lawrence Neighbourhood Lighting Initiative.

a small little update on what they have done to St Lawrence Hall

Attachments

• DSC03640.jpg
    DSC03640.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 238
From: http://www.toronto.ca//175/stlawrence_market.htm#lighting

First lighting of St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood
Friday, November 6, 6 p.m.
Meeting place: Market Lane Park (adjacent to north market building, 92 Front St. E.)
Free admission

The City of Toronto will launch a new night lighting initiative in St. Lawrence Market neighbourhood to showcase Toronto's pride in its heritage and historic buildings.

We're shining a light on the city's distinctive architecture and some of Toronto's oldest, beautiful and most photographed buildings. St. Lawrence Market, St. Lawrence Hall, Flatiron building, St. James Cathedral and the south façades along Front Street, south of Berczy Park will be camera ready, day and night.

Join us this evening for the first flip of the switch. As part of the festivities, local historian Bruce Bell will lead a tour to share the stories captured behind the walls of these of these historic Toronto landmarks as you watch the buildings light up before your eyes.

The lighting demonstration is a showcase of what this Heritage Lighting Project will grow to be. While some of the lighting is permanent, some is for the weekend’s events only. Be sure to come to the neighbourhood on Friday or Saturday nights to witness the full effect of the demonstration.

Fantastic. We need to show of these beautiful historic buildings in any way we can. Bruce Bell is an entertaining and knowledgeable speaker. This is a step in the right direction.

Fantastic. We need to show of these beautiful historic buildings in any way we can. Bruce Bell is an entertaining and knowledgeable speaker. This is a step in the right direction.

I agree. One thing that always strikes me about the US: they light and showcase buildings of note. I always thought they kicked our A$$es in this aspect, and never really understood the almost complete lack of lighting on heritage buildings in most cities in Canada. Overall, glad to see this, although we need more of it.

I don't know why they wouldn't make it permanent. I'd like to see even more buildings lit up all over downtown Toronto, permanently.

Which buildings are permanent and which are temporary? There are several buildings which would benefit from lighting. I'd love to see the staggered 'V' section at the top of Scotia Plaza illuminated with LEDs. Here's a pic to clarify.

60178459.DSC15617W.jpg

Toronto preparing for its long overdue coming-out as a majestic city? St Lawrence Hall looks like something from Montreal or Paris. Now that we can see these heritage buildings, maybe we will start fighting on their behalf when developers come round to try to knock 'em down

I'm a huge fan of lighting our buildings in the city, but if it's true, how disappointing that they're not using LEDs. This will be the standard for anything of this nature within the next 5-10 years, so why they're not doing it now is mind-blowing.

So on one hand we're being told to replace our incandescent bulbs and fridges because it is better for the environment more efficient and cheaper in the long run...but we're going to need to replace these soon with more energy efficient lighting. Why can't we just do it now and save the waste?

Actually just read the blogTO article and it says it is LED lighting, at least for some of it. Thank god.

how disappointing that they're not using LEDs. This will be the standard for anything of this nature within the next 5-10 years, so why they're not doing it now is mind-blowing.

Probably because LEDs are not yet as efficient as metal halide or other discharge lamps.

Why can't we just do it now and save the waste?

because we'd waste more energy if we did it now....due to the current inefficiencies of LEDs.
Most outdoor lighting changed from incandescent to discharge decades ago.

Back