Toronto Living Shangri-La Toronto | 214.57m | 66s | Westbank | James Cheng

Trees jump less frequently than humans, so I'm not worried. Do you get nervous when you see people on balconies?

I get worried if I see a person on the top of a building, and there is no railing. Same goes for a tree. Actually, I think a tree falling from the top of a building could do more damage than a person falling.

Well, with some foresight they'll plant a tree with a full rootball into a well-secured planter!

Well, with some foresight they'll plant a tree with a full rootball into a well-secured planter!

In any event, I am sure it will be secured! My point was more on the randomness of it in the rendering. I think the building looks pretty awesome, but almost lopsided with that tree.

Well, I look forward to Shangri-La as one of our more-promising-than-average buildings going up at the moment, but I'm not sure I see any Shakespearean parallels in anything here!!

Macbeth underestimated the locomotive potential of big flora and look what happened to him.

Not to mention Saruman.

Speaking of Saruman, we need one of these on the Toronto skyline:

Orthanc_2nd_Age.jpg

Is that a slant I see on the top ten floors eastern face.
Or a faux/render slant like the original renders of RBC Dexia had?
Anyone know?

Is that a slant I see on the top ten floors eastern face.
Or a faux/render slant like the original renders of RBC Dexia had?
Anyone know?

The facade of the front is supposed to undulate like creased paper. Who knows if this will survive when the building is completed.

Trees jump less frequently than humans, so I'm not worried. Do you get nervous when you see people on balconies?

Unfortunately, I do a little bit. I've always been terrified of heights, then a few years back a co-worker jump off his balcony. I love towers, but I'm never comfortable inside them if they have complete glass curtain walls.... unless I'm on floor 3 or below. I suppose it's not that common, otherwise we wouldn't be seeing such a proliferation of glass condo towers.

Last edited:
Imagine looking at the amazing view from your floor to ceiling window and you trip, smash through the window and fall 400 feet to your death. I wonder how strong those windows are? I keep thinking of that guy on Bay St. who was showing his friends how strong the window was, threw himself against it and crashed through, falling to his demise. I'm not so confident in windows. Those floor to ceiling windows creep me out. I could never live in a shy high condo that had them, and yes, I do have a fear of heights. (well, more of a queasy feeling than outright fear)

The facade of the front is supposed to undulate like creased paper. Who knows if this will survive when the building is completed.

It is not supposed to undulate like creased paper - it is supposed to be a flat glass skin - it's just the way the the artist depicted reflections in the rendering that have some of you already set up for disappointment and claiming that the rendering wasn't correct.

Back