News   Apr 18, 2024
 806     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 264     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 609     1 

Transit City: Sheppard East Debate

More GO Routes with an affordable integrated fare system would be ideal with more GO stops at various locations downtown.

SRT could get a GO Train stop that's on a line that leads to eastern downtown.

Work has begun on a section east of Markham Road at Gateforth just west of the Highland Creek tributary bridge. One lane is closed westbound from Gateforth Rd for about 50m. Mobile contruction office is on site as well.

Interesting to note that councillors have informed the TTC that they prefer the subway be extended to Consumers (and further to STC) over having a transfer at Don Mills. Which councillors other than David Shiner, I'm not sure. But he's totally right in this case for sure.

From the Scarborough RT thread lined by Ryan: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/151391--shiner-slams-lrt-plan

Shiner slams LRT plan
LISA QUEEN
Sep 22, 2009 - 3:42 PM

Toronto commuters are being shortchanged by plans to criss-cross the city with a network of light rapid transit (LRT) lines, Willowdale Councillor David Shiner says.

"A world-class city, which is what we want Toronto to be, deserves a world-class transit system, not a bunch of toy trains taking over the road," he said at a North York community council meeting Sept. 15.

"I want to send a message we don't want this system."

LRTs physically divide neighbourhoods, are unfair for drivers, force transit users to walk long distances between stops and fail to generate the economic wealth and development that subways do, Shiner said.

He was responding to a letter to council from the Toronto Transit Commission dealing with connecting the new Sheppard LRT with the end of the Sheppard subway line at Don Mills Road.

The correspondence said an environmental assessment looked at two options - a light rail line connecting at and continuing east from Don Mills subway station or an extension of the subway to Consumers Road with an LRT line connecting there and continuing east.

The TTC favours the first option, according to the letter from general secretary Vincent Rodo.

"An LRT connection at Don Mills station would provide the most convenient connection between these two services, allowing customers to walk along a single continuous platform between the subway and LRT without having to change levels, as would be necessary if the subway were extended to Consumers Road," he said.

In addition, connecting at Don Mills station would cost $120 million less, Rodo said.

However, councillors voted to tell the TTC that of the two options, they prefer having the subway extended to Consumers Road.

They will also inform Scarborough community council they support the construction of the Sheppard subway to the Scarborough Town Centre. But the subway doesn't appear to be in the cards.

On May 15, Premier Dalton McGuinty and Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced almost a billion dollars in funding for the 15-kilometre Sheppard LRT line.

The line to Meadowvale Road tops the list for Metrolinx's regional transit improvement plan.

The Sheppard LRT came on the heels of a $7-billion funding announcement from the province in April to build three LRT projects: the construction of a Finch LRT from Humber College to Don Mills Station; a 32-kilometre line running above and below ground along Eglinton Avenue; and the refurbishment of the Scarborough Rapid Transit line.

Although not priorities, there are also other LRT projects contemplated for the future.

But Shiner said the LRT lines should be scrapped.

"I know what is going to happen when these are built in North York. We will have nothing but people complaining," he said.

"It is not a great system. It is a stop-gap system. It is to say we're doing something (to address transit problems) when we're not doing it right. I was always taught if you're going to do something, do it right. It seems no one is listening."

Unfortunately, it seems like too little too late. Where were they when the plan was being drafted? They seem to be coming out now in support of the subway. I am guessing they've heard a earful from residents who don't want to be restricted to left turns every 400m in their cars. I'd wish people would rise up against these slow moving LRT lines. However, I think its far more likely that it's suburban drivers who will have the most impact on this project.

I can't wait for the digging to start and then the councillors will really have their hands full when residents realize that the traffic restrictions will be there even after the construction period.

Interesting to note that councillors have informed the TTC that they prefer the subway be extended to Consumers (and further to STC) over having a transfer at Don Mills. Which councillors other than David Shiner, I'm not sure. But he's totally right in this case for sure.

From the Scarborough RT thread lined by Ryan: http://www.insidetoronto.com/news/local/article/151391--shiner-slams-lrt-plan

Finally a politician sees the light. Maybe we should send him a letter with all of our arguments that we discussed over and over again. He can easily make them public and with city elections coming, people in North York and scarborough needs to be PROPERLY informed about this project. We need to put pressure on Miller and his opponents to make the subway happen.

If the population don't voice their opposition, it will be for nothing.

Unfortunately, it seems like too little too late. Where were they when the plan was being drafted? They seem to be coming out now in support of the subway. I am guessing they've heard a earful from residents who don't want to be restricted to left turns every 400m in their cars. I'd wish people would rise up against these slow moving LRT lines. However, I think its far more likely that it's suburban drivers who will have the most impact on this project.

I can't wait for the digging to start and then the councillors will really have their hands full when residents realize that the traffic restrictions will be there even after the construction period.

I don't think it's ever too late. And I don't care if this is brought on by the "wrong reasons" (i.e. cars), wrong is still wrong and the SELRT is just wrong. Doing the right thing for the wrong reasons is perfectly acceptable to me.

A piecemeal subway extension to Agincourt has more merit than SELRT, even at higher upfront capital expense that will pay for itself over time as ridership grows. I'm with Ansem, there's no reason to succumb to this. The only reason I'd have to witness SELRT get built is to prove just how bad the streetcars-in-suburbia rationale is in contrast to the following equation: longer subway trip + short feeder bus ride = best value for $$!

you really get the city that you deserve...

I love my city and I think it's one of the best places to live in the world. To add to that I think our mayor is doing a decent job and the city is moving it self in the correct direction in terms of transit, urban development, and the overall.

So... yeah. I guess I deserve the best.

you?

I love my city and I think it's one of the best places to live in the world. To add to that I think our mayor is doing a decent job and the city is moving it self in the correct direction in terms of transit, urban development, and the overall.

So... yeah. I guess I deserve the best.
Seconded! We can always nit-pick the details, but I agree with the sentiment.

Suggesting that being against a certain LRT project automatically means you are not loyal to your city is a bit like suggesting somebody is unpatriotic because they don't support a certain war or armed conflict.

I believe that this mayor is about to squander the opportunity of a lifetime (when we have the most transit friendly Premier in decades if not history) by substituting ideology for sound management. He's come up with a Rapid Transit plan that gives more weight to socio-economic factors than real transport issues like travel times, traffic congestion, etc. I don't consider that a decent job at all.

Back