News   May 02, 2024
 741     1 
News   May 02, 2024
 213     0 
News   May 02, 2024
 287     0 

Licensing Bicycle riders

I think these are the situations where requiring bikes to have licensed plates might come in handy. Like cars doing a hit and run. Bikes will do hit and run too. However without a license, it would be hard to track the person down. For cases like these, if bikes all had a license plate and the owners addresses are kept on a database it would be easier to find offenders. If someone sees a bicycle disobeying the law, they can easily take a photo or remember the plate number to inform the police.

I think Japan has their bicycles with license plates. I remember a tv series with serial murders and the clues left behind related to bicycle plates. They were able to solve the case because they had a database of the plates.
I think the big factor is recognization. In a car, it'll be very hard to recognize the driver or passenger, especially if they're going fast or if they have tinted windows. License plates make a lot of sense, since the owner of the car is generally responsible for who uses it, and therefore at least partially responsible for what they did.

Bikes, however, are totally different things. On a bike, it's super easy to get a good look at the rider, even if they're going at a top speed of 30 or even 40 km/h. There's absolutely nothing blocking their face, and basically nothing blocking their body either. This makes riders much easier to track, especially with more and more advanced facial recognition technologies.

Also, bikes get stolen all the time, I know definitely in Toronto. You can lock your car for the night and expect reasonably well that it'll be there the next morning, but you can't lock up a bike in the same way. If someone steals it and your license plate is on it, you'll have to go through a real big hassle (if that person even gets caught, that is.) Now, I suppose it could work the other way around and allow people to report their stolen bikes, but I really think that the cons are way bigger than the pros, especially for licensing.

rant

I had a cyclist today cut off the four cars in front of me and then weave in front of me narrowly missing my front tire as he blew a red light! I honestly felt like hitting the accelerator and letting him have it....he scared the crap out of me.....figured he's in the wrong so if I hit him...he can explain to the cop and the doctor in emergency what the hell he thought he was doing.

and last night a drunk driver rammed into a the car of a teenage girl, killing her in front of her parents http://www.canada.com/news/Teen+dies+fiery+crash+front+home/1985457/story.html but you won't see anti-driver editorials and message board threads, weeks of front page headlines, calls for increased licensing.. it's usually treated as an everyday unlucky event (described as a 'mishap' by The Star and typically referred to as 'accidents'), despite it being a heinous criminal act (drunk or not drunk).

People really have to put this whole cyclist thing in perspective.... Thousands each year die or are seriously in Canada each year on the streets, and there are hundreds of thousands of collisions caused by bad drivers, but there is no call for increased licensing, no generalization of all drivers as bad and reckless like there is with cyclists, and no serious consequences as the perpetrators will only get 3-4 years in jail even for killing multiple people while driving drunk.

When even minor solutions are proposed to punish or reduce bad driving there is a huge resistance. People get angry when the blood alcohol max is lowered, angry that there are upcoming cellphone bans, angry when there are restrictions for young drivers, angry when speed limits are reduced in cities (despite clear evidence that it saves lives), angry when there are hefty punishments for extreme speeding and dangerous driving, and angry about 'getting caught' speeding or any other violation of the law (and go to court to fight it despite clearly being guilty). The violation of the Highway Traffic Act by speeding is done by 99% of drivers, but is deemed as acceptable by the general public, and is promoted by police and engineers which tolerate (while other countries have a 3km/hr tolerance) or even accommodate these things by increasing speed limits and lengthening signal lights. People will shrug off things like texting and driving either sheepishly or as if they have the skills to do so, despite all sorts of evidence against it and despite that they are supposed to be concentrating on driving a 2000 lb piece of metal around at high speeds.

People aren't biking on the sidewalks because they don't care (except for a few idiots) or they are some kind of anarchists, they're biking because they fear for their lives ridings on the streets with high speed and high volume traffic, drunks, people on cellphones, people eating and drinking, or people like you who would even consider using your car to injure or kill someone who got in the way or angered you while driving.. When a a person on a bike is killed by a person driving a car, it seems like people will assume the cyclist is at fault or partially to blame (i.e. shouldn't have been out there), call for all sorts of new rules/licensing for cyclists, and complain about cyclists in general as accident-causing lawbreakers (despite the facts). Even if you are following the rules, you will experience getting honked at, brushed by, have stuff thrown at you, and have your life flash before your eyes as a door opens in front of you. Other countries have designed their infrastructure and laws to help people on bicycle and on foot, but Canada is far behind (and has much higher rates of road deaths). That type of safer cycling infrastructure also encourages people to follow the rules because it feels and is much safer and more convenient, and isn't designed primarily around cars with cyclists and pedestrians as afterthoughts.

Of course cyclists shouldn't run red lights, weave in and out of traffic, and ride on the sidewalks, I'm all for enforcing the rules, but put it into perspective... cyclists are not these lone anarchist group of lawbreakers, there are plenty of drivers also do things like that (e.g. 10,000 tickets from red light cameras a year in Toronto; 10,000 people in Ontario have charged under the stunt driving law) except when a driver does it someone can easily be killed or severely injured as thousands are each year..

Of course you can drive drunk and kill and be back on the streets enjoying life within a few years instead of being in prison for life for killing someone. You can open a car door into a cyclist and kill them and only get a $110 fine. You can run a stop sign and kill another person and simply be fined $500-$1500. You can get 19 drunk driving convictions before you finally kill someone and the justice system does something about it. Yet there is no true outrage, no multi-page message board threads, no wide public call for increased licensing and sentencing, no generalizing of all drivers as red light runners, and few front page headlines. There is a far bigger outrage at lost convenience when the government tries to change the law to make the streets safer.

The biggest problem is that most people are drivers, and they put themselves in the shoes of the other person. They think of the times that they have accidently run a stop sign or tried to make it through a red light and don't think of these things are criminal or malicious. They wouldn't want to go to jail for 'accidently' running down a cyclist or pedestrian because they were distracted or absent-minded. I heard this myself around the office when a guy ran down 5 cyclists (in a bike lane) in Ottawa and left the scene. People were actually sympathizing with him. That is the biggest problem, that these things are seen as accidents when they are actually preventable and that bad driving that risks other people's lives isn't taken seriously.... relatively few people bike regularly on city streets, so it's a lot harder to sympathize with a cyclist, most people's notable experience with cycling would be getting annoyed at having to slow to pass someone or seeing a reckless person riding around. If there is a cycling-driver collision, people who drive more will likely sympathize and with the drivers and make assumptions about the cyclist, and those who bike a lot will sympathize with the cyclist and make assumptions about the driver (just look at that Bryant death and the cyclists memorial vs the radio talk shows)... it shouldn't be like that.. road rage, dangerous driving, bad driving, and drunk driving should be condemned no matter what party is involved.

Lest you think I'm some angry hairy bike messenger who doesn't pay taxes, I drive far more than I bike, never ever wear spandex, and think things like Critical Mass are dumb.... but it really bothers me how much "cyclists" are generalized, marginalized, and dehumanized, and their safety is trivialized for the sake of convenience. And it especially bothers me how driving a car and killing someone with a car are not taken as seriously as they should be.

Last edited:
The reason why people are being so harsh on cyclist is that most cyclists think they are better then all of us like Mac Users... ;)

I appreciate your comments...btw I was speaking rhetorically...something you missed .....nevertheless...I want to point out that there is no such thing as "increased licensing"...either you are licensed or not....second of all I am a frequent biker...you missed my earlier postings..check them out....I favour LICENSING....I've stated my reasons.....you are one of those cowboys, I guess, who feels that they can be a vehicle, but no behave like one, unless it suits them or if it doesn't behave like a pedestrian....if a cyclist commits an infraction....as most do every day...I know I see it....then they should be reported...how do you report them...see my previous post...I'm sure the officer will have a lot to go on.....

Are you taking about licensing the vehicle (bicycle) or the driver (cyclist)... well a bicycle can actually have many of the advantages of both a pedestrian and a car, because you can ride a bike on trails, in parks, and in many places where cars can't go.. At the same time it doesn't have the full rights of either mode, as it can't go on expressways like cars can, and it can't go on sidewalks like pedestrians can. However in many countries it's normal for the bike facilities to be placed in the sidewalk area on busy streets, and in Canadian suburbs it can also be common to have a shared bikepath/sidewalk along the road.

How do you report a pedestrian jaywalking or a horse and buggy running a red light? How do you report a criminal running from the scene?

I finally realized what the basis of the backlash is on this thread about licensing bike riders...not one of you guys has complained about licensing indoor cats nor other things in general....it's just about you and your right to "own" the road and do you whatever you want...

Cyclists want to "own" the road? WTF you talking about, seriously.

Cyclist generally do not put themselves on a higher level than motorists. It is you who is doing that. You are the only one here putting cycling up on some sort of pedestal. I'm not the one doing that.

Last edited:
I agree some cyclist seem to think they own the road. I've seen them run red lights. Many don't wear helmets either. Some even cycle on the pedestrian side walk.

Regarding descriptions. How many people can give accurate facial descriptions enough to find the criminal? I for one can't describe anyone other than they're tall or short or the colour of their skin. I think pets shouldn't be licensed either since bicycles don't require licenses? What's the point of licensing a pet?

Last edited:
I agree some cyclist seem to think they own the road. I've seen them run red lights. Many don't wear helmets either. Some even cycle on the pedestrian side walk.

Regarding descriptions. How many people can give accurate facial descriptions enough to find the criminal? I for one can't describe anyone other than they're tall or short or the colour of their skin. I think pets shouldn't be licensed either since bicycles don't require licenses? What's the point of licensing a pet?

You don't have to wear a helmet unless you are a kid... in countries that actually provide good safe infrastructure for cyclists even the kids don't wear helmets
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2n_znwWroGM

The point of licensing a pet is to ensure they are vaccinated (against rabies esp.), help get them home if they are lost (so they don't get euthenized.....) and limit the number of pets per person

Note that the point of many of these bicycle licensing programs is to stop theft and help authorities keep track of ownership, not some criminal identification system or some way to stop bad cycling habits. Here's the purpose for the (now cancelled) Los Angeles programs

• providing a method for tracking and retumlng stolen and lost bicycles to their
owners;
• providing a method of identifying the rider of a bicycle should he or she be Injured
and unable to respond to emergency medical staff (generally cited as the case
for minors wHhout identification);
• providi.ng a method to monitor the number of bicycles in the City, and
• generating Income on bicycles sold within the City's geographic boundaries, for
the purpose of Investing in the City's bicycle infrastructure.

Just to confirm it's not some effort to identify criminal using bikes to flee the scene, this is what it actually looks like..
9_16_08_license.jpg

Last edited:
Well anyone would admit there are bad drivers and more should be done to crack down on them.

There is no such belief coming from the cyclist community mostly because they think they are riding cycles, what harm can they do to anyone...

I finally realized what the basis of the backlash is on this thread about licensing bike riders...not one of you guys has complained about licensing indoor cats nor other things in general....it's just about you and your right to "own" the road and do you whatever you want...wanna be a cowboy move to Calgary, Canabama.....wanna live in Toronto ... be licensed....don't be so damn cheap...whadya all live on Kraft Dinner?

My problem with bike licenses is that there is no international precedent. An Ontario drivers license can be used in many jurisdictions, from Ohio to Europe to New Zealand.

Now I've biked in many cities and towns both in Canada and overseas. I think it would have been unrealistic for me, as a bike tourist, to get a license at each city, don't you?

It's definitely outside the realm of municipal jurisdiction, so the noise coming out of Toronto City Hall on this issue should be dismissed.

I don't think there are that many tourists who use house cats as transport that municipal house cat fees should have the same consequences, but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
I agree some cyclist seem to think they own the road. I've seen them run red lights.

I've seen motorists run red lights too. I've also frequent see motorists throw garbage out the window, drive on the wrong side of road, block intersections, park on the sidewalk, cut off buses, turning through pedestrians traffic, turn without signaling. So what?

Many don't wear helmets either.

So what?

Some even cycle on the pedestrian side walk.

Cyclists think they own the road, and yet they ride on the sidewalk. Makes perfect sense.

Well anyone would admit there are bad drivers and more should be done to crack down on them.

There is no such belief coming from the cyclist community mostly because they think they are riding cycles, what harm can they do to anyone...

No having any belief is a good a thing. Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs are for the closed-minded. I can't speak any community, I'll just speak for myself and say I do not have any beliefs.

My problem with bike licenses is that there is no international precedent. An Ontario drivers license can be used in many jurisdictions, from Ohio to Europe to New Zealand.

Now I've biked in many cities and towns both in Canada and overseas. I think it would have been unrealistic for me, as a bike tourist, to get a license at each city, don't you?

It's definitely outside the realm of municipal jurisdiction, so the noise coming out of Toronto City Hall on this issue should be dismissed.

I don't think there are that many tourists who use house cats as transport that municipal house cat fees should have the same consequences, but I could be wrong.

I think the debate on whether or not to license cyclists is focused on problems we're having in the City of Toronto. What happens elsewhere is beyond the general scope of this discussion so let's not wander into that territory!

Dogs and cats need a license?!?!??!

I don't have a license for my cat but then she never leaves the house. :p

I admit, I break some of the bike rules but I only do that based on my needs. For example I have friends that live on a one way street and coming from one direction I'll bike the wrong way on the street to get to their place.

Sometimes if a street is really busy, I'll switch to a sidewalk but only if there isn't other pedestrians on it.

I don't always come to a complete stop as stop signs too. I'll basically do a rolling stop looking both ways for traffic and then proceed.

The only concern I have when I am out biking is my safety and not putting others into any danger because of me. If I am doing that then I don't care if I break a couple of the official bike rules.

I think the debate on whether or not to license cyclists is focused on problems we're having in the City of Toronto. What happens elsewhere is beyond the general scope of this discussion so let's not wander into that territory!

This summer alone, I had the pleasure of meeting over many people who are not residents of Toronto, biking in Toronto. People from Alberta, people from New York City, people from South Africa, Montreal, etc.

Are you telling me that they should have each been stopped at the city boundaries and acquired a Toronto license, despite the fact they have traveled quite happily and legally through other cities in Canada?

Back