News   Mar 28, 2024
 1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 562     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 851     0 

Insite - Toronto IV drug injection site being discussed.

The article is missing out on the underlying attempt the program is trying to make by rehabilitating its drug users. The Vancouver program remains controversial because it has had marginal success at actual rehabilitation. The vast majority of "patients" using the facility have little or no desire to get clean, just a place to get high with other users.

It's common to come across needles in downtown Vancouver, in Toronto, never. In 35 years of living in Toronto I have never come across a needle.

And I live in the core, meaning very close to Yonge/Dundas. So I know what I say.

I've seen needles, perhaps half a dozen over the years.
Many years ago I learned that Guerrilla Gardeners know to be cautious when rejuvenating or working public spaces should there be a needle buried beneath the soil or laying hidden among weeds/plants.

Whether you've seen a needle on the street or not, it's a lot easier to see addicts shooting up in Vancouver.

I lived in Toronto for a long time now, including well over a decade downtown. I too have never see a needle anywhere downtown, nor have I have ever seen someone shooting up. I'm sure if I knew where to look I'd find it, but I'd definitely have to research it and look harder. And yes, I've been down through several alleys in Toronto too, as it's more interesting riding a mountain bike in the alleys than it is on the main road.

In contrast, I saw several people shooting up near main roads the very first day I arrived in Vancouver.

The article is missing out on the underlying attempt the program is trying to make by rehabilitating its drug users. The Vancouver program remains controversial because it has had marginal success at actual rehabilitation. The vast majority of "patients" using the facility have little or no desire to get clean, just a place to get high with other users.

I've never seen a heroin addict get rehabilitated.

I've never seen a heroin addict get rehabilitated.
Comedian Artie Lange is eight months clean and counting.
artie-713946.jpg
No, really!

Looks like he's got a couple of other vices to work on too. ;) (DUI)

Seriously though, that's good to hear. However, was there any injection site involved?

I really wonder if the sites would help. I doubt if they had the need to inject themselves, if they would wait until they got to the site. They would probably just do it on the spot. If they were nearby, maybe. But it seems like they're encouraging them by providing a place. I haven't seen any needles around, but then I avoid those types of places.

Whether you've seen a needle on the street or not, it's a lot easier to see addicts shooting up in Vancouver.

I lived in Toronto for a long time now, including well over a decade downtown. I too have never see a needle anywhere downtown, nor have I have ever seen someone shooting up. I'm sure if I knew where to look I'd find it, but I'd definitely have to research it and look harder. And yes, I've been down through several alleys in Toronto too, as it's more interesting riding a mountain bike in the alleys than it is on the main road.

In contrast, I saw several people shooting up near main roads the very first day I arrived in Vancouver.

I've lived downtown much longer, never seen anyone shoot up either. The drugs of choice in Toronto are crack and meth, not so much heroin like the west coast.
That said, I know it is a problem here and I fully support injection sites. I'm currently quitting smoking through the Nicotine Clinic at College & St. George. When I go over to pick up my NRT supplies at CAMH I can see a large jug of what looks like orange juice with tiny paper cups next to it behind the prescription counter which I'm pretty sure is Methadone, so an alternative method to heroin addicts is available which is good. These distribution centres along with safe injection sites are good steps forward to help these people get off the junk and provide some counseling along with harm reduction education.

I've lived downtown since 1994, the first four years on Jarvis near Ryerson when that area was much scruffier than it is now. In my many aimless wanders I've seen lots of people smoking joints openly, and caught the odd glimpse of people using what I assume to be crack pipes, but never once have I seen someone shoot up with heroin, nor have I seen even one needle on the ground in that time. I have no doubt heroin use is around, but it's hardly an in-your-face epidemic from the perspective of your average non-junkie non-alley-lurking Torontonian.

Safe injection sites cause me inner conflict. I support the idea of treating drug addiction as an illness, not a crime, but I also feel for the people who will have their neighbourhoods stigmatized by the presence of the facility.

Safe injection sites cause me inner conflict. I support the idea of treating drug addiction as an illness, not a crime, but I also feel for the people who will have their neighbourhoods stigmatized by the presence of the facility.

That's a fair point. Safe injection sites could be located at or near hospitals, just like methadone distribution centres.

Safe injection sites could be located at or near hospitals, just like methadone distribution centres.

There's a methadone center at King and Trinity, nowhere near a hospital, in a neighborhood where the average house price is $700,000.
I've only ever seen one needle in Toronto, it was in the arm of a junkie who was shooting up on the 501 queen, westbound at noon on a weekday.

There's a methadone center at King and Trinity, nowhere near a hospital, in a neighborhood where the average house price is $700,000.
I've only ever seen one needle in Toronto, it was in the arm of a junkie who was shooting up on the 501 queen, westbound at noon on a weekday.

The houses on Trinity are more like $350-500K, the nicer townhomes on Gilead and commercial blocks on King are more like $600-700K. I agree the clinic is out of place and can't wait for it to be moved to a more appropriate location.

I've only seen one needle--a junkie dropped his drawers to shoot up into his crotch at 3pm on a weekday. Near Queen & Sherbourne two years ago. While that was a shock, it thankfully has not proven typical.

Back