News   Apr 19, 2024
 87     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 746     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 7.3K     2 

Next Mayor of Toronto?

I'm not quite sure what his game plan is right now. I think that in the end, he is expecting the province to bail the city out each year though. That's something that the province is going to stop doing, which would make it a pretty bad game plan.

I could swear that in a press conference (or something) on TV today, someone asked whether the City had considered privatizing city services to save on money. I could swear Miller responded something like "Privatization would cost more money than City workers, as they require higher pay." :p

I just don't understand Miller's game plan here. Maybe somebody who knows better can explain it to me.

The city's possibly up to half a billion in the hole next year but he portrays a concession that reduces a 250 million dollar liability over the next decade or so (till all the grandfathered oldies retire) as a victory? Does he just automatically assume that the province will always come through with a 300-500 million dollar bailout every year?

And I don't even know if he can try the shenanigans he did before of trying to make the cuts as painful as possible. That would be suicidal in an election year. So what was his game plan to cut costs? Given that labour was the biggest chunk of city expenditures, how does he plan on even making a symbolic show of fiscal restraint (enough to satisfy voters and justify a provincial bailout)?

I think to understand Miller you have to first understand that, in his mind, there is literally no way the City can provide an acceptable level of service to its citizens given the funding constraints it faces. It needs a level of funding in line with the "one cent now" campaign to operate - a source of revenue that's consistent year-to-year.

I don't disagree with him here, to be honest. I think Canada takes its cities for granted and often overlooks urban issues to focus on rural stuff. It would be nice if more of a Torontonian's tax dollar went to the operations of the City of Toronto.

So there's that - if he doesn't really believe it's possible for the city to have its economic house in order, then what's the hope in trying? Miller is undoubtedly a bleeding heart on social issues - he's not going to do what some would do when faced with a deficit and cut social housing or whatever.

I think to understand Miller you have to first understand that, in his mind, there is literally no way the City can provide an acceptable level of service to its citizens given the funding constraints it faces. It needs a level of funding in line with the "one cent now" campaign to operate - a source of revenue that's consistent year-to-year.

I don't disagree with him here, to be honest. I think Canada takes its cities for granted and often overlooks urban issues to focus on rural stuff. It would be nice if more of a Torontonian's tax dollar went to the operations of the City of Toronto.

Fair enough. But Toronto is not the only city facing this challenge in Canada. It's becoming increasingly difficult to use that argument when the province has just downloaded substantial revenue generating powers and Miller used them to expand the city's wage rolls by taking on a 1000 unionized employees. I would think that senior levels of government would be much more open to shelling out more if they perceived municipalities as being more fiscally responsible. Miller certainly does not help his cause when he hires more unionize employees, refuses to contract out for even mundane non-essential services and then insists on living wage clauses for the contractors the city does deal with. If you were McGuinty would you give him more or wait for someone who hold the purse strings a little tighter?

So there's that - if he doesn't really believe it's possible for the city to have its economic house in order, then what's the hope in trying? Miller is undoubtedly a bleeding heart on social issues - he's not going to do what some would do when faced with a deficit and cut social housing or whatever.

Well, he didn't cut social housing the last time around but he did threaten huge increases for parks and rec programs, etc. all to avoid a big property tax increase. What's he going to do this time when things are even worse?

I just hope those TO residents that are not happy with Miller's performance remember the wrongs he has done (including the recent strike and all the mess) during his two terms in office when the next mayor election comes around ... please VOTE !!

Hey all, I'm new here, but I've been following Urban Toronto for a while.

I just hope those TO residents that are not happy with Miller's performance remember the wrongs he has done (including the recent strike and all the mess) during his two terms in office when the next mayor election comes around ... please VOTE !!

I don't mean to make enemies, but can you explain what "wrongs" the Mayor has done. I've come across this type of comment a few times, but nothing besides the typical "tax to death" excuse.

I don't mean to make enemies, but can you explain what "wrongs" the Mayor has done. I've come across this type of comment a few times, but nothing besides the typical "tax to death" excuse.

I dunno about taxed to death but I am generally not a fan of hiring new employees when you are borrowing money to pay the ones you have. Beyond that like I've mentioned earlier, he's done absolutely nothing to fix the city's finances except carp for more money from higher orders of government. The province gives him revenue generating powers and pledges to upload social expenditures and that should have balanced the books. Instead, Miller squander a golden opportunity both in the province's generosity and the strike to improve the city's fiscal standing. Not just that but he's wage increases for the CUPE workers is sure to be but a mere starting point with the other more powerful unions like the ATU and the police association. He has ensured that Toronto is set for the pits of deficit hell for at least a half decade or more...and that's assuming the province agrees to the fund the deficit. We could be facing a California style fiscal crisis next year if the province balks at paying our bills.

And I won't even begin to discuss his stance on the Island airport and his Transit City plan.

Instead, Miller squander a golden opportunity both in the province's generosity and the strike to improve the city's fiscal standing. Not just that but he's wage increases for the CUPE workers is sure to be but a mere starting point with the other more powerful unions like the ATU and the police association. He has ensured that Toronto is set for the pits of deficit hell for at least a half decade or more...and that's assuming the province agrees to the fund the deficit. We could be facing a California style fiscal crisis next year if the province balks at paying our bills.

Sadly, you are correct. Unfortunately, it is now probably necessary to face this crisis that you are suggesting. It is probably the only thing that will begin to shock the city out of this fiscal slide down hill.

The province is running its own considerable deficit now, and it is unlikely that it will be ready to hand over a cheque for hundreds of millions after this city was given more power to raise revenues - only to raise spending to a degree that it exceeds those revenues.

Budgets and other things

The ATU and the Police were settled last year.

They got 3% a year for 4 years.

So the contract isn't up till 2012; after the next municipal election.

1.75% for municipal workers this year is hardly egregious.

Peaking at 2.25% in year 3.

That's at or below current or predicted aggregate inflation.

In other words, no real raise, or even a modest pay cut.

I have no time for 18 sicks days; or the banking thereof....

But lets not conflate issues.

Next, The City DOES NOT borrow to pay operating costs, that is a matter of provincial law.

The City DOES borrow to pay Capital costs.

Now there is a legitimate debate to be had about the scope and scale of the capital budget; and whether or not more of it should be funded out of current revenue as opposed to debt ( I would agree)

But again, lets not misrepresent the facts. The City does not borrow for staffing costs. The operating and Capital budgets are separate, separately approved, and the former is fully funded from current revenue.

Finally, I don't think the Mayor has handled the strike all that well, from a political optics point of view.

But to suggest that he is a goner politically would be premature.

As pointed out by many others in this thread, he current is not looking at facing any credible opponent (though that may change); more over he is not embroiled in scandal, and when compared with any previous mayor of the Megacity (Lastman) or the former Toronto (Hall, Rowlands, Eggleton etc.) he doesn't compare all that unfavourably. He hasn't lived up to everyone's hopes, that's fair enough; but he's far from a goner without a tough opponent.

In other words, no real raise, or even a modest pay cut.
No raise, but not really a pay cut either.

Also don't forget that Etobicoke garbage works have somewhat lower pay... but the garbage collection is done with significantly fewer workers proportionally, without a negative impact on client satisfaction.

Finally, I don't think the Mayor has handled the strike all that well, from a political optics point of view.

But to suggest that he is a goner politically would be premature.

As pointed out by many others in this thread, he current is not looking at facing any credible opponent (though that may change); more over he is not embroiled in scandal, and when compared with any previous mayor of the Megacity (Lastman) or the former Toronto (Hall, Rowlands, Eggleton etc.) he doesn't compare all that unfavourably. He hasn't lived up to everyone's hopes, that's fair enough; but he's far from a goner without a tough opponent.
Translated: Miller really, really sucks in the eye of the public now... but he might win because potential candidates suck even more. Not exactly a ringing endorsement.

1.75% for municipal workers this year is hardly egregious.

Peaking at 2.25% in year 3.

That's at or below current or predicted aggregate inflation.

Huh? The numbers I have are -0.3% for this year up to June, and +0.6% inflation predicted next year. Where are you getting your numbers?

EDIT: These are from The Economist. You may not like their politics, but they're pretty good with the numbers.

Last edited:
Huh? The numbers I have are - 0.3% for this year up to June, and +0.6% inflation predicted next year. Where are you getting your numbers?

Dilla, you are bang on. I believe that the stats also show that % wage gains in the overall Ontario economy are similar or less (for those of us lucky enough to have kept our jobs) and not expected to increase any time soon.

The ATU and the Police were settled last year.

They got 3% a year for 4 years.

Lucky for Miller. That won't take away the near half billion dollar a deficit. And this settlement only means we are in for a world of hurt in 2012.

Next, The City DOES NOT borrow to pay operating costs, that is a matter of provincial law.

The City DOES borrow to pay Capital costs.

Now there is a legitimate debate to be had about the scope and scale of the capital budget; and whether or not more of it should be funded out of current revenue as opposed to debt ( I would agree)

But again, lets not misrepresent the facts. The City does not borrow for staffing costs. The operating and Capital budgets are separate, separately approved, and the former is fully funded from current revenue.

Which means that rising labour costs have now nearly compeletly robbed the city of its ability to improve its own capital stock (or prevent its deterioration) without some hefty tax increases.

Are you serious in suggesting that the size of the capital budget should be open for debate? Have you never driven over a pothole in this town? Or taken a two decade old streetcar?

As pointed out by many others in this thread, he current is not looking at facing any credible opponent (though that may change);

Again. Lucky for him. Sad for us. This is the best Toronto can put up? Someone who makes the deficit bigger after getting massive new revenue generation powers?

Council and Mayoral wages should be raised dramatically to make more people run for the positions. The current salary is what, 150k? In the grand scheme of things, that isn't big money. If I were a smart kid looking for what to do in life, for comparable skill and responsibility, I could be earning several times that much earlier in my life, and over my entire life as opposed to a typical 4-8 year term. So, and I'm not being ridiculous here, raise the Mayor's salary as high as one million dollars, and councilors 4/5th of that. If salaries where that high, individuals could justify raising sufficient funds to run campaigns and raise issues. Some kind of performance benefits may also work, whereby at the start of their term a politician would be given options whose underlying value could be determined via referendum during the next election.

So, and I'm not being ridiculous here, raise the Mayor's salary as high as one million dollars, and councilors 4/5th of that.
:eek:

Some kind of performance benefits may also work, whereby at the start of their term a politician would be given options whose underlying value could be determined via referendum during the next election.
Better, but what kind of options?

Back