3277121862_7830f19a34_o.jpg

Niagra Falls

niagara-2.jpg

Edmonton

3512405040_ba9ebb65a1_o.jpg

3489904295_d34043f0c0_b.jpg

Last edited:
Vancouver > Calgary > Montreal > Edmonton > Mississauga > Niagara Falls

I'd throw in Halifax as well, just behind Mississauga.

I'm not sure if Halifax is known for its "skyline"; in fact, there's a strong argument that Halifax is compromised by whatever passes for its contemporary skyline.

Besides, when it comes to historic centres, there's a better argument for Quebec City (duh), or even Ottawa, where the Peace Tower somehow still manages to vanquish all that 60s/70s bureaucracy on both sides of the Ottawa River...

I'm not sure if Halifax is known for its "skyline"; in fact, there's a strong argument that Halifax is compromised by whatever passes for its contemporary skyline.

So true.

If anything, the skyline of Halifax works against the other qualities of that city.

I say Vancouver thanks to its density.
Montreal's isn't bad...
The one thing other Canadian cities sorely lack is height, they're all incredibly underwhelming in person when you look up... it's almost like "that's it???". Granted you could make up for that with better architecture etc...and Vancouver does have a silly building code that wants to protect the view of the mountain at all times (does Montreal have something similar???).

Toronto just blows every other Canadian city out of the water with it's sheer height (real scrapers imo), dramatic peaks and valleys and insane density (up yonge and EW along front/lakeshore/queens quay).

Mississauga and Niagara Falls are borderline tacky, if Mississauga gets lots of infill and once the Marilyn's are standing it might be worth another look.

Vancouver--less distinctive but an ocean beats a lake every time and the mountains are the icing on the cake. But I'm still happy in Toronto...mostly. :D

Not shown in the skyline photo of Montreal is the old Montreal skyline with its density of old spires. A photo with the new and old skyline shows quite an interesting skyline overall, one that's quite unique in Canada.

Actually, most of the photos aren't the best angles of the skylines.

Vancouver has the big skyline with the mountain backdrop, but architecture-wise Montreal gets my vote. Like Toronto, Montreal has landmark skyscrapers representing every era in skyscraper construction (while Vancouver's skyline seems dominated by more recent buildings). Other elements like the beacon on Place Ville-Marie and the Cross on Mount Royal makes it even more special.

Too bad some Southern Ontario cities didn't make the cut. Windsor, London and Hamilton are respectable candidates, even though they have little chance at winning.

I chose Montreal.

You chose some really bad photos to represent city skyline's if you ask me. Calgary has a really awesome skyline, but it doesn't show in the photos you chose.

Canadian skylines...

Everyone: The Best Canadian skylines: East-Montreal West-Vancouver

Calgary is interesting for a runner-up and for most surprising-Niagara Falls with all the new construction-Remember when the Skylon dominated things there! LI MIKE

Last edited:

Besides, when it comes to historic centres, there's a better argument for Quebec City (duh), or even Ottawa, where the Peace Tower somehow still manages to vanquish all that 60s/70s bureaucracy on both sides of the Ottawa River...

If you're judging by the quality of the buildings, than yes, but the actual skyline (meaning outline against the sky) is nicely proportioned IMO.

Skyline-lady%20with%20baby.jpg

Back