Toronto Canoe Landing Park | ?m | ?s | Concord Adex

I don't see why the city can't just add some more skate parks, or maybe build some deliberate skate-friendly features into parks, so that really nice and expensive granite and stainless steel isn't ruined like that

Believe me, those of us who have been going to skateparks for years would love that. Hopefully the one by the Beach(es) will be open soon.

^ Totally agree. As others have pointed out before, areas under the Gardiner would be perfect for skate parks. They are disused anyway, and fit in with the skate aesthetic. One could be built right adjacent to the Cityplace Park.

Less so than safety the skateboarding irritates me because of the damage it does to public spaces. For example kids have destroyed many of the stone planters along St. George by grinding their boards along the edges. I've also noticed many railings and stairs in the financial district show similar wear. I don't see why the city can't just add some more skate parks, or maybe build some deliberate skate-friendly features into parks, so that really nice and expensive granite and stainless steel isn't ruined like that

because everywhere is their playground except if it damages their house.

^ Totally agree. As others have pointed out before, areas under the Gardiner would be perfect for skate parks. They are disused anyway, and fit in with the skate aesthetic. One could be built right adjacent to the Cityplace Park.

And...who is going to pay for the up keeping? The city or city place residents?

Last edited:
More trees (5 rows) are going in the ground down the slope just beside the Gardiner. Noticable progress is being made each day. It appears most of the park has been prepped for concrete pathways and grass to be laid down. I have no reason to suspect the park won't be ready by this summer.

I'd like to see more evergreens :)! Having greenery in the winter is nice and they're sparse compared to other trees downtown.

As an aside, the Emerald Ash borer is on the loose in Toronto. I've seen tons of infested ash trees— it sax :(

I'd like to see some red-leafed trees, or any other colored-leaf variety. It brings a colorful mix to the area, not just a sea of green.

And...who is going to pay for the up keeping? The city or city place residents?

Its a public space. It would be the city's responsibility.

Its no different than a public park, beaches, and squares.

Evergreens dont tend to grow very well in the city especially if there on a boulevard or near the road, winter salt is there worst enemy they also tend to collapse with a heavy snowfall unless you shake off the snow after a heavy snowfall, thats why the ones you see are usually tied and burlapped during the winter months, these trees/plants are high maitenance and somewhat fickly about their growing conditions.
With all the other stuff that the city has to worry about in winter, taking care of evergreens would probably be their worst nightmare.

Deciduous trees obviously rule in this city but in my ongoing quest to photograph City parks (in the downtown area) I'm finding that there are plenty of Evergreens around. By late this week I'll post an update with 3 or 4 more parks that I've photographed which illustrate a good spattering of coniferous trees around in downtown parks.

The posts will be found here by the weekend if anyone is interested:
http://www.urbantoronto.ca/showthread.php?t=9123

I can't wait to both look down on this park and to use it when it's finished! Progress is really coming along!

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1067.jpg

More trees went in. There appears to be at least 6 different types of trees.

Attachments

• PARK.jpg
    PARK.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 341
Wasn't there talk of the park having a premier tobogganing hill? It can't be that hill there; it looks small (albeit steep) and there are too many trees at the base.

Back