News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.3K     4 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 499     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.2K     0 

Shops at Don Mills (redevelopment, Giannone Petricone/Pellow + Associates )

Thank so much for that excellent tour. I share some of the reservations of others on this - the pleasantville factor. Yet - it's avoided many potential traps, especially using "ye olde" architectural references on the buildings. In that, at least, we can celebrate.

Does anybody know if the "streets" are real public thoroughfares, or privately owned "semi-streets". I would think that would be key to how it develops over time, and I suspect they are privately owned.

Sadly, they are privately owned. Or atleast that's what the Post said.

I wish we did things more the Dutch way. Subdivide the property so that the streets are public.

the centre is winning rave reviews. Heard from a friend who lives close by and says it is great.

I expect that over the summer many people will drop by once to the mall and it may become a destination mall over time.

I am planning to go in the summer, you know those days where you have nothing to do...

Thank God they used modernist architecture, and not faux-history crap.

I like the materials used too. It's pretty nice! But I do wish it would be less of an isolated "island" and treat the surrounding area with respect as opposed to just its own streets.

Great job done here though :)

Some are saying it would fail, but people said that about Vaughan Mills.

Thanks Wylie - excellent tour!

The attention to detail looks very impressive, and I can see this area used for movie and television shoots from time to time.

Coupland's clock looks great.

I look forward to a visit soon to get a more complete feel for it all.

Thank so much for that excellent tour. I share some of the reservations of others on this - the pleasantville factor. Yet - it's avoided many potential traps, especially using "ye olde" architectural references on the buildings. In that, at least, we can celebrate.

Does anybody know if the "streets" are real public thoroughfares, or privately owned "semi-streets". I would think that would be key to how it develops over time, and I suspect they are privately owned.

i think i prefer privately owned.. anything the city touches is guaranteed to fall into disrepair in a matter of weeks. they'd have to come in and add some asphalt sidewalk patches and ramshackle wooden hydro poles to get it to city of Toronto standards

Incidentally, how does one tell time using Douglas Couplands clock? or am i just getting old?

From the photographs, it reminds me of Crawley New Town ( home of The Cure ), near to where I grew up in England in the late '50s and '60s.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/4/4b/Crawley_-_Queen's_Square_looking_ENE.JPG

Also, a bit like the Vancouver Shopping Centre in the remade centre of King's Lynn in Norfolk, U.K. that was done about five years ago ( trying to salvage an earlier mistake that gutted the centre of the old city ).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2e/Kings_Lynn_Modern_Center.jpg

All those buildings are newly built? If so, it's really well done. They've largely succeeded in making the area appear as a natural, organic development... which certainly wouldn't have been the case if they'd gone with the faux-historic look.

Good job. Proof that it's still possible to create natural urban environments if the will is there.

what's the best way to TTC here? As in from the nearest subway stn with the shortest route to this location?

thx :)

Three options:

Lawrence East (54, A) from Eglinton Stn.
Don Mills (25) from Pape Stn.
Lawrence/Don Way (162) from Lawrence Stn.

54 shortest distance, 25 most frequent, 162 only has hourly service

Three options:

Don't forget our newest subway station ... :)

Three options:

wow, you really know your bus routes. I should start taking the TTC more (to be "green" :D ). I've taken the bus less than 5 times in my life. The only route i remember taking was from Fairview Mall bus to Yonge/Sheppard Subway station (when they didn't have the Sheppard subway line).

Don't forget our newest subway station ... :)

hehe, i did. 25 bus south from Don Mills Station.

wow, you really know your bus routes. I should start taking the TTC more (to be "green" :D ). I've taken the bus less than 5 times in my life. The only route i remember taking was from Fairview Mall bus to Yonge/Sheppard Subway station (when they didn't have the Sheppard subway line).

Pretty much every major and minor arterial road in Toronto has a bus route making it very simple. There's also the 'RideGuide' and TTC.ca for maps

Back