News   May 01, 2024
 861     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 266     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 337     0 

Russell Hill, The (Great Gulf/Signature Living, 7s, D+S) COMPLETE

That's Hazelton Place, which is rental. Belmont House ( between Yonge and Davenport ) and Fellowship Towers ( Yonge north of Bloor ) are also rental.

There was a great story about a Chicogo tower - a tall one - which combined regular condos for the retired, assisted living, and full-care units. Basically people could transition through these phases staying in the same building. They were multi-million dollar units right in the core.

yonge and college? there is one more around university and college too, i think. hmm, also remember walking by one on avenue right below davenport.

Isn't that the Fellowship Towers ( the name always reminds me of Fawlty Towers ) that I mentioned earlier that's also rental? Or is it another one?

In England, there are several developers such as McCarthy and Stone who cater to seniors who don't want to rent and who can afford to buy a place where they'll have a range of services available - apartment cleaning, personal care, and health care especially - when they need it. Some are set up with independant living apartments, and "assisted living" apartments close by, so that the elderly can move from one to the other as their circumstances change. There's a dearth of such places in Toronto, and none downtown that I know of, and condos for "empty nesters" are as far as it goes.

January 2009 photo update

Sleeper project of the decade?

DSC00458.jpg

DSC00102-1.jpg

The Russell Hill Retirement Residence

Hi, my name is Stephanie and I am the Executive Director for The Russell Hill.
The Russell Hill is going to be a gorgeous new seniors residence, were very proud of it and I'd be happy to answer any questions floating around out there.

A few questions, Stephanie:

* What is the price range?

* Are they all for purchase - or are some rental?

* Is this building set up with a certain number of "assisted living" units with staff and medical help on call - or are they all designed for mobile seniors who can live independently?

The architects are Hariri Pontarini, so I think it will probably turn out quite well.

"Signature Living Corp and Great Gulf Homes have assembled a seasoned team of partners including Diamond + Schmitt Architects, and Landscape Architect Janet Rosenberg + Associates to ensure that The Russell Hill Retirement Residence takes its rightful place among Toronto's most desirable addresses."

Hi, my name is Stephanie and I am the Executive Director for The Russell Hill.
The Russell Hill is going to be a gorgeous new seniors residence, were very proud of it and I'd be happy to answer any questions floating around out there.

do you really feel that the typical "apartments off an indoor corridor" is the right model to use for housing seniors?

"Signature Living Corp and Great Gulf Homes have assembled a seasoned team of partners including Diamond + Schmitt Architects, and Landscape Architect Janet Rosenberg + Associates to ensure that The Russell Hill Retirement Residence takes its rightful place among Toronto's most desirable addresses."

This explains why the exterior resembles the new Salvation Army building on Jarvis designed by Diamond+Schmitt. Don't know why they went with an institutional look for such a high-end retirement residence. I can't imagine it will appeal to the target market, i.e. wealthy seniors moving out of their elegant homes in Forest Hill. Looks like another dud from Diamond.

Last edited:
do you really feel that the typical "apartments off an indoor corridor" is the right model to use for housing seniors?

Yeah, I echo this sentiment. I believe seniors will find frivolous items such as hallways, doors, and independent rooms to be overwhelming and scary. Perhaps a giant open room with hospital style curtains would be appropriate?

Back