Toronto Fort York Visitor Centre | ?m | 2s | Fort York Foundation | Patkau

We'll have to see just how "national" it is when (and if) the Feds does the funding announcement. Certainly, we had plenty to show for our urban "national" park.

AoD

They tore the tower down in 1986...

I suspect she means "relocate" as synonymous with "rebuild".

As nice as it would be to resurrect the Shell Tower...*not* as an Old Fort York add-on. (Then again, its original location was adjacent to the then-recently-cleared site of *New* Fort York, of which only the ex-Marine Museum remains...)

Is the ex-marine museum the old stone building on the Exhibition grounds? Is it empty now? Shame if it is.

I understand that historians get all funny about moving buildings and all but it does seem unfortunate that this building is lost on its own, ignored by crowds during the Exhibition and completely abandoned the rest of the year. Given that the location of the lake's shore has changed drastically over the years wouldn't it make sense to move a building like this to give it some sort of heritage (if not 'historic') context. Maybe this building with the right sort of addition could be used as a Fort York visitors centre? Maybe it would be at home at Harbourfront or somewhere on the Lakeshore as a visitors centre?

what... you mean they arent looking to the obvious option of condo-izing the fort? It would make a perfect western bookend for what is happening at the distillery in the east! ;)

Too bad Fort York was not built like Kingston's Fort Henry. Something like this would have easily made a great public space.

fort_henry.jpg

Is the ex-marine museum the old stone building on the Exhibition grounds? Is it empty now? Shame if it is.

I understand that historians get all funny about moving buildings and all but it does seem unfortunate that this building is lost on its own, ignored by crowds during the Exhibition and completely abandoned the rest of the year. Given that the location of the lake's shore has changed drastically over the years wouldn't it make sense to move a building like this to give it some sort of heritage (if not 'historic') context. Maybe this building with the right sort of addition could be used as a Fort York visitors centre? Maybe it would be at home at Harbourfront or somewhere on the Lakeshore as a visitors centre?

Hasn't Joe Pantalone been supporting plans for some hotel-type development around here?

Too bad Fort York was not built like Kingston's Fort Henry. Something like this would have easily made a great public space.

Tell me about it - now that's a real fort. I respect the history of Fort York and the need to preserve it, but boy is it incredibly underwhelming.

Then again, if Fort York were like Fort Henry, it would probably likewise be in remote isolation relative to the rest of Toronto...

Well, Fort York is certainly treated like an isolated afterthought despite being right downtown, sandwiched between a wide rail corridor and an ugly elevated expressway, and cut off from the lake by what was until recently an industrial area. Amazes me that the city didn't wind up bulldozing it in order to keep the Gardiner straight.

Well, Fort York is certainly treated like an isolated afterthought despite being right downtown, sandwiched between a wide rail corridor and an ugly elevated expressway, and cut off from the lake by what was until recently an industrial area. Amazes me that the city didn't wind up bulldozing it in order to keep the Gardiner straight.

that was part of the original plan. i can't believe they even contemplated such a thing.

Well, not so much bulldozing it, as removing it and resurrecting it closer to the waterfront...

Too bad Abu Simbel wasn't moved here, into the banks of the Humber, for example. Egypt already has lots of that stuff. We coulda been like that town in Arizona that bought the London Bridge.

Too bad Abu Simbel wasn't moved here, into the banks of the Humber, for example. Egypt already has lots of that stuff. We coulda been like that town in Arizona that bought the London Bridge.

lol. at one point in time, in effort to make up for our lack of egyptian antiquities, we almost had a pyramid built near the waterfront!

Back