Toronto Queen & Portland Loft & Condominium Residences | ?m | 9s | Tribute | Turner Fleischer

Maybe it was all a front, and they had intended to put a Walmart into this space all along.... ;)

I wouldn't be surprised if was not a front to get development approval in the first place. That 75,000 sq ft is certainly worth more as residential than commercial.

On the other hand, using the back of a napkin, maybe the reality of paying $500,000 to $700,000, or more, a year in property tax was to onerous.

Un, Home Depot was only going to take up the corner at Portland; the rest of the Queen Street frontage was going to be other stores. Home Depot was basically going to be an experience in escalators.

Oh good! I didn't know. Or maybe I did, and I forgot. In that case, it's a shame that it won't be built. It just looked like a lot of dead space in the renderings, but it's hiding behind those trees. I wonder if they could find a different tenant for the space. I don't know...some place with lingonberry mousse.

just when I thought we were going to see the first 'urban format' Home Depot in Toronto

The "first urban format Home Depot" opened in Gerrard Square a few years ago.

Un, Home Depot was only going to take up the corner at Portland; the rest of the Queen Street frontage was going to be other stores. Home Depot was basically going to be an experience in escalators.

Actually the Home Depot was going to take up most of the footprint, and front Queen. The plan was to have small shops at street level, and then Home Depot would be built above the small shops.

I wouldn't be surprised if was not a front to get development approval in the first place. That 75,000 sq ft is certainly worth more as residential than commercial.

On the other hand, using the back of a napkin, maybe the reality of paying $500,000 to $700,000, or more, a year in property tax was to onerous.

Why would Home Depot participate in such a ruse?

Furthermore, the commercial part of the development is owned by RioCan, a different company from Tribute, which owns the residential part. I doubt RioCan is about to get into residential development.

It would be nice if people didn't air every paranoid fantasy they had on this public forum.

UPDATE: some info from Adam Vaughan, from over on Spacing Wire:

RioCan has confirmed that although they are no longer in a leasing relationship with Home Depot for the Queen and Portland development site, development plans are proceeding as approved in keeping with their original timelines.

RioCan is sensitive of the surrounding community’s concerns about the introduction of a big box retail outlet in the neighbourhood, and have advised my office that the roster of potential leaseholders for the site may result in a better fit with the neighbourhood.

I will continue to share information as it becomes available.

The development, as approved, includes three storeys of retail, with four storeys of residential on the Richmond Street side of the building. The Queen Street side will include small retail spaces on the ground floor, with a larger retail store on the second level, and a residential terrace on the third floor roof. The Richmond Street side will include retail and/or gallery spaces, with the residential units above. The three levels of underground parking will include two levels of commercial parking. The design of the building on the Queen Street façade must meet the requirements of the Queen Street heritage conservation district, which set out guidelines around height and design.

Last edited:

by 'urban format' I am referring to new 2 to 3 storeys format, as you see in Manhattan ... not the Gerrad Square Home Depot which simply retrofitted an old Knob Hills Farm supermarket (which is still 1 storey, just a smaller version of a typical HD store)

not the Gerrad Square Home Depot which simply retrofitted an old Knob Hills Farm supermarket

When was it a knob hill farms? I only remember it being a Sears.
When they opened, their advertising campaign touted it as "the first urban Home Depot".

Home Depot pays $11.5M to kill Queen West store

Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:43 PM
By Justin Robertson, National Post

Home Depot has killed plans for a store on Queen Street West, paying a massive $11.5-million cash settlement to terminate a lease agreement because of the ailing economy.

“Unfortunately we re-evaluated the Queen and Portland site and in the context of the current economic environment we determined it wasn’t the right time for us to open there,†said Tiziana Baccega, a spokesperson for Home Depot. “We would love to be a part of that community, however this year we’ve decided to re-invest in our existing store network.â€

The store, which caused much discomfort among residents and other storeowners in the artsy district, was to anchor a major development to be built on what is now a one-acre parking lot.

Original plans called for 91,000 square feet of retail space on three floors, of which 75,000 square feet was to be occupied by a single retail anchor. Developer RioCan said there is no change in plans for the five-storey residential portion of the project. The company said 61% of the 90 residential units available have been sold.

“What we are looking at now is to have a conventional shopping centre within the confines of the existing space [that Home Depot was to occupy],†said Fred Wacks, RioCan’s chief operating officer. “Meaning we will have a big box user, a bank, a food store which will contain all the elements of a shopping centre. â€

RioCan has had interest from national food chains who are considering buying the empty space, he said.

“A green grocer would add to the environment on Queen Street and would actually bring some new people down that don’t normally walk along that stretch of queen,†said Councillor Adam Vaughan (Trinity-Spadina). “It’s always been contemplated as part of the project and is one that the neighborhood would not be as nervous about as having.â€

Gary Duke, owner of Duke’s Cycle, whose longtime location nearby was destroyed by last year’s devastating Queen Street West fire, was not sad to see Home Depot pull out. It would not have been be a good fit for the area, he said.

“People need more. Having a green grocer, like a Sobey’s will enhance the people within the area, like the Healthy Butcher down the street,†he said. “It would compliment the neighborhood more than a Home Depot would.â€

Mr. Vaughan said Home Depot’s pullout is ‘‘almost understandable.’’

“When they originally agreed to occupy the site we were just at the start of the economi tsunami thats rolling through, particularly the development industry,†he said.

Home Depot pays $11.5M to kill Queen West store

Posted: January 22, 2009, 7:43 PM
By Justin Robertson, National Post

Home Depot has killed plans for a store on Queen Street West, paying a massive $11.5-million cash settlement to terminate a lease agreement because of the ailing economy.

That's a crazy settlement ... it pretty much cost them a 5-year lease !?!?!

If thats the reality behind the concept, then I am glad, I rarely bother with Gerard Sq as they don't seem to have the breadth of offering that a traditional HD does, may seem to state the obvious, but if there is no compelling reason to go, like unusual or dedicated 'urban' products, why bother ?

I hate the layout, and the "poor stocking habits", but where else can you get conduit and drywall studs downtown?

Back