Richmond Hill Yonge Line 1 North Subway Extension | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Woo, there's a lot of arguments flying around here now, and some are rather abstract.

For me the keys are:
-We have long needed a regional transit plan and now we have one. TTC, obviously, first and foremost serves Toronto, but if they don't get on board with the REGIONAL plan, it will fail. If we accept that, we can start talking about the best way to fund these things etc.

-Metrolinx will unveil a plan for regional funding before either of these lines open so arguments about Toronto taxpayers are moot. Whether it's tolls or something else, everyone in the GTAH will be paying for this stuff.
In the meantime, Toronto is quite right to ask for money for Bloor-Yonge etc but the provincial subway money is not some blank cheque for them to say, "we veto the subway and will use the money for Transit City."

-As far as funding goes, there is a lot of hooey getting thrown around. Look at sunnyraytoronto's point about YR paying the least for Spadina when they benefit the most. The conclusion is debatable and abstract but there is also a spin on those numbers. They break down 1/3 province, 1/3 feds, 1/3 munis. Toronto and York Region negotiated the municipal share based primarily on how much tunneling/track each is getting - in short, Toronto is paying their 1/3 for the section up to Steeles and YR is paying THE ENTIRETY of the municipal share north of Steeles. TTC keeps 100% of the parking and farebox revenues. So who really benefits?
For Yonge, the munis are paying NOTHING for the capital costs.

-Statements about how the two extensions "go nowhere" or "no one will use them" are just plain ignorant - especially when you talk out of the other side of your mouth about how capacity will be overwhelmed.
Our subway system has long been anemic and not suited to population patterns. Taking it up to Major Mac may be crazy but taking it to Hwy. 7 is very sane - especially if you're already willing to take it up to Steeles.

Anyone who advocates taking both lines to Steeles but not into York Region is, IMHO, just being ridiculous. It's certainly not someone who spends any time at all near the city's northern border. Trust me: there's no wall there, no customs checkpoints...just a yellow line in the middle of the road like you see anywhere else.

-When you look at things like Presto you see how the whole region is working together - except for Toronto - and that cannot continue. The Yonge subway, is precisely the same kind of attitude; we'll deal with our stuff and THEN help everyone else. That makes sense but only to a point. The TTC needs to realize how important it is regionally and act accordingly.

-If you look at the map Anth posted you can see how random a location Finch Station is. It seems obvious to take the subway up to the transit/population node at Hwy. 7 though, clearly, you need to deal with capacity issues. That said, as others have noted, Toronto has not made a DRL a priority.
If the Yonge line does not get extended and the capacity does not get fixed, that's because more people are taking CARS into the city or choosing not to live/work in the GTA and that's hardly a solution either.

-Beyond the obvious pointlessness of stopping transit because of lines on a map, is the need to understand where people are coming from and going. Some people here keep talking about how the new subways will mostly benefit York Region as if 905ers are not taking TTC now. They are - in droves. The TTC does not only serve people starting and ending their trips in 416. Au contraire.

-People have rightly pointed out how much politics plays into this - and they should remember that it was politicians who invented Transit City out of thin air, never actually expecting something like Move2020 to fund any of it. They had no clue - it was a pipe dream. Accordingly, they should take a step back and work with Metrolinx to come up with something that works for the GTA at large.

I've rambled enough.

I agree with your arguments wholeheartedly. Well said. :)

Ask yourself this,... if the $2.4 billion 6.8 km 6 station Yonge subway extension from Finch to Richmond Hill Centre goes ahead,... who will be riding the Spadina Subway extension??? Why are we now spending $2.8 Billion of taxpayer money on a (Spadina) subway extension nobody would use???

The city of Toronto is the main beneficiary of the Spadina extension. York U is in Toronto and the subway will replace an extremely busy bus to York U. Many thousands of Finch West and Steeles West riders (and where do these routes run, again? Oh, yeah, Toronto) will benefit, helping neighbourhoods like Jane & Finch and Malvern. Finch West is one of the busiest bus routes in the city and by intercepting it, the Spadina extension will divert thousands of trips off the Yonge line.

York Region is just the main beneficiary of the final 2km of the line, but the GTA at large will benefit from it, too.

The city of Toronto is the main beneficiary of the Spadina extension. York U is in Toronto and the subway will replace an extremely busy bus to York U. Many thousands of Finch West and Steeles West riders (and where do these routes run, again? Oh, yeah, Toronto) will benefit, helping neighbourhoods like Jane & Finch and Malvern. Finch West is one of the busiest bus routes in the city and by intercepting it, the Spadina extension will divert thousands of trips off the Yonge line.

York Region is just the main beneficiary of the final 2km of the line, but the GTA at large will benefit from it, too.

Don't forget,... Torontonians will benefit from the final 2km of the Spadina subway extension on Boxing day,... when they go up to Vaughan Costco Centre,... land of big box stores, for boxing day sales! Ikea, Walmart, Costco, Rona, Home Depot, Best Buy, and more big box stores,... all at one subway stop!

BTW, do you even know where Malvern is??? :rolleyes: Hint, it's no where near the Spadina subway extension.

TJ,

Nobody here is saying that the Yonge line should not be extended to Hwy 7. What we are frustrated with is the fact that it seems like an unfair deal for Toronto taxpayer. Finch may seem random on a map. However, the reality is that the liability of the Toronto taxpayer and the responsibilities of Toronto's civic government end at Steeles. Till that reality changes bun fights are inevitable. And especially in cases like this one. Karen Stintz and those who backed her comments on this board forget that the mayor's demands were entirely reasonable. The demands would be just as applicable if the project was entirely within Toronto. Would anyone support an extension of the BD line to Scarborough Town Centre if the line was overloaded already and there was to be insufficient investment in capacity development? In this case, the mayor and the TTC are reasonable in stating that the Yonge line is not equipped to handle the growth into Vaughan. And it's just as reasonable to state that the Yonge/Bloor upgrades, and line capacity upgrade costs be included in Yonge extension project.

"905 municipalities" should raise funds, through property taxes, to cover TTC operating costs, that are equivalent to what the City of Toronto raises to cover TTC operating costs, NOT in a manner proportional to the degree which the TTC's operations take place in the "905 municipalities",.. but in a manner proportional to the degree to which 905 riders use the TTC.

It is hard to understand what you are proposing. Maybe you could explain it better.

Do you mean that the residential property tax portion of the TTC's operating costs (13%) should be shared among the municipalities in a proportion equal to the proportion of trips initiated in each of those municipalities? That I could see working -- right now all (non-outsourced) trips start and end in the City of Toronto, and City of Toronto residential property owners pay the full 13%. To the extent that 95% of TTC subway trips are initiated in, say, the City of Toronto and 5% initiated in the City of Vaughan, Vaughan would be responsible for a 20th of the proportion of subway operating costs to be covered by property taxes.

Or is there some other mechanism you have in mind? Understand that noone thinks that municipalities should not pay for the operating costs of infrastructure (although I can see why municipal politicians would try and duck it if they can duck. It's what they do). However, you seem to be implying that, somehow, everyone should carry passports with them so that all of their movement can be tracked and charged back to the place at which they reside, whether Brampton, Markham, Mindanao, or Berlin (the German one). But that can't be possibly be workable.

(It also ignores the bery basic fact that attracting people to your municipality and getting them to do stuff there is generally considered a benefit. You want that. It's why governments should invest in infastructure. But that's kind of downstream from the more obvious this-makes-no-sense aspect to it all.)

You think the Feds would pick up 2 third of the cost? What you smoking? This is Toronto,... NOT Montreal!

I don't think anything in particular. I thought I had heard that the feds were to pay a third, and the province two thirds of the Yonge extension cost. (Not the other way around, Sunny Ray.) I am asking if anyone knows whether that is what the story is at this point.

...Toronto $600 milion + York Region $400 million York Region will benefit the most,... but notice they're chipping in the least!

To be clear. You acknowledge that, of the combined municipal contribution, York Region is paying 40% and Toronto is paying 60%. And you do not disagree that, of the six stations, two are in York Region, three in City of Toronto, and one on the boundary between them -- 2.5/6 and 3.5/6, or about 42% and 58%, in other words.

But you are not arguing about the just-shy-of-2% "disparity". Rather, you are arguing that it is those from York Region, not from Toronto, who will derive value from the line that shuttles people across a short stretch that bridges York Region and Toronto. And that, because they derive greater value -- presumably because you think, first, that more people will be going south than north and, second, that their movement is of value only to themselves -- those from York Region should pay more than the subway station split would seem to indicate. Yes?

EDIT: sorry, the six stations discussed above are the Spadina extension, because that's what the part of Sunny Ray's quote that I edited out as not relevant to this point (oops) specified.

Last edited:
The main reason they used to justify extending the Spadina subway line to the middle of nowhere in Vaughan Costco Centre instead of extending Yonge was that Yonge line was already operating at 100% capacity and they can't fit anymore people onto it! While Spadina line was 80% capacity and York Region would be diverting buses away from the Yonge line and onto the Spadina line to help make the Spadina line feasible!!!

I did not know that they had said that the Yonge line was operating at 100% capacity and that no more people can fit onto it.

When you talk about diverting YRT buses from Finch to Downsview, I assume you are talking about YRT buses that currently go to Finch and not Downsview, right? If so, which YRT buses do you think should be diverted from Finch to Downsview?

It is hard to understand what you are proposing. Maybe you could explain it better.

Do you mean that the residential property tax portion of the TTC's operating costs (13%) should be shared among the municipalities in a proportion equal to the proportion of trips initiated in each of those municipalities? That I could see working -- right now all (non-outsourced) trips start and end in the City of Toronto, and City of Toronto residential property owners pay the full 13%. To the extent that 95% of TTC subway trips are initiated in, say, the City of Toronto and 5% initiated in the City of Vaughan, Vaughan would be responsible for a 20th of the proportion of subway operating costs to be covered by property taxes.

Now, surely even you must realize that someone who "initiates" a trip in Vaughan to go to their office in downtown Toronto would also need to "initiate" the trip back home from Toronto,... and thus this based on initiation of trip would once again not be fair to the City of Toronto.

The TTC does keep track of Ridership numbers for subway, buses, and streetcars,.... and thus using those numbers it wouldn't be too complicated to figure out how passengers came from York Region.

I don't think anything in particular. I thought I had heard that the feds were to pay a third, and the province two thirds of the Yonge extension cost. (Not the other way around, Sunny Ray.) I am asking if anyone knows whether that is what the story is at this point.

Yonge subway extension has NO funding. Province has some money on the table,... haven't commited to which project. Feds currently have no money on the table.

BTW,... if you're not a lawyer,... maybe you should consider it.

Originally Posted by sunnyraytoronto
The main reason they used to justify extending the Spadina subway line to the middle of nowhere in Vaughan Costco Centre instead of extending Yonge was that Yonge line was already operating at 100% capacity and they can't fit anymore people onto it! While Spadina line was 80% capacity and York Region would be diverting buses away from the Yonge line and onto the Spadina line to help make the Spadina line feasible!!!

I did not know that they had said that the Yonge line was operating at 100% capacity and that no more people can fit onto it.

Try boarding the southbound Yonge subway at North York City Centre (the next station after Finch) during morning rush hour,... try doing the same at the very next station, Sheppard-Yonge (this is where I board,.. you'd be lucky if you can find a seat by then),... often, by the time this southbound train gets to St.Clair, Summerhill & Rosedale, it's so pack people on the platform can't get on. They're not even hoping for a seat, they just want a spot to stand on the train so they can get to work,.. but often they can't even get that!

You can easily tell who the York Region folks are,... they're the ones sitting on the southbound Yonge subway during morning rush hour,... watch where they get off. The vast majority south of Bloor,.. like Union, King, Queen, Dundas, St. Andrew, St. Patrick, Osgoode, etc,... Dude, if you're from York Region and you're gonna take the Yonge subway from one end of the city to the other,... take the GO train! Yes, I know GO train only runs every 30 minutes from Richmond Hill to Union station,... but that's a Go train issue,... get Go to fix that. Get Metrolinx to fix that! The solution isn't to cram an already 100% capacity Yonge subway line with more people.

When you talk about diverting YRT buses from Finch to Downsview, I assume you are talking about YRT buses that currently go to Finch and not Downsview, right? If so, which YRT buses do you think should be diverted from Finch to Downsview?

Not just YRT buses,... but Viva and Go buses as well,... no particular route,.. but it would make sense to divert any bus with routes from West of Yonge and north of Steeles from Finch to Downsview. Maybe even all those west of Bayview,.... I think it's something like for every one bus coming from West of Yonge in York Region, there's 2 or 3 coming from East of Yonge. Have you been to Downsview? There's a huge under-utilized bus terminal there,... I guess the term is "overbuilt".

Now, surely even you must realize that someone who "initiates" a trip in Vaughan to go to their office in downtown Toronto would also need to "initiate" the trip back home from Toronto,... and thus this based on initiation of trip would once again not be fair to the City of Toronto.

OK. First, I have to do my obligatory reminder that your premise is wrong. Having the employer in the City of Toronto is a huge benefit to the City of Toronto. Moving it to Vaughan would be truly negative for the City of Toronto, and a huge boon to Vaughan. That is why this idea that only the worker-shopper-tourist benefits from the trip across municipal boundaries, and not the workplaces and merchants and tourist sites, is wrong.

That said, yes, it is obvious that everyone who initiates a trip in Vaughan, and initiates a return trip in Toronto, is paying once in Vaughan and once in Toronto. If that is unfair, I am curious why.

The TTC does keep track of Ridership numbers for subway, buses, and streetcars,.... and thus using those numbers it wouldn't be too complicated to figure out how passengers came from York Region.

Isn't that the same thing as I proposed? The TTC estimates -- by sampling, with varying degrees of accuracy, but let's set that aside for a moment -- how many people get on at each subway stop, etc. Those estimates could be used to do what I proposed, i.e. split cost according to trips initiated. Is there some other way you think you could be used? What is it?

Yonge subway extension has NO funding. Province has some money on the table,... haven't commited to which project. Feds currently have no money on the table.

OK -- I thought I had heard somewhere that there were funding commitments in place. Guess this explains all the public jockeying. Although I must admit that I am very skeptical that, what is it, the overcapacity subway to nowhere?, will
happen.

Try boarding the southbound Yonge subway at North York City Centre (the next station after Finch) during morning rush hour,... try doing the same at the very next station, Sheppard-Yonge (this is where I board,.. you'd be lucky if you can find a seat by then),... often, by the time this southbound train gets to St.Clair, Summerhill & Rosedale, it's so pack people on the platform can't get on. They're not even hoping for a seat, they just want a spot to stand on the train so they can get to work,.. but often they can't even get that!

As you will imagine, I am well aware of this. It is true that the Yonge subway is, to coin a phrase, oversuccessful. That is why the Yonge extension does not, in and of itself, heal transit in urban Toronto. We need it, but it's not all we need!

You can easily tell who the York Region folks are,... they're the ones sitting on the southbound Yonge subway during morning rush hour,.

No. That's how you can tell who the Finch folks are. As I am sure you know, a tremendous number of people arrive at Finch from TTC buses and from YRT buses and from private cars that hail from wherever.

.. watch where they get off. The vast majority south of Bloor,.. like Union, King, Queen, Dundas, St. Andrew, St. Patrick, Osgoode, etc,...

And Bloor and Sheppard and Eglinton, don't forget. (The last two will only grow.) If you're saying that one of things the Toronto area has to do is diversify its high-density nodes, I think we're all on the same page!

Dude, if you're from York Region and you're gonna take the Yonge subway from one end of the city to the other,... take the GO train! Yes, I know GO train only runs every 30 minutes from Richmond Hill to Union station,... but that's a Go train issue,... get Go to fix that. Get Metrolinx to fix that! The solution isn't to cram an already 100% capacity Yonge subway line with more people.

You're suggesting that people spend more time paying more money to catch an infrequent train, because it inconveniences you? We can suggest it to them, but I don't see very many as being incented to follow your advice. But, yes, if you can get GO to improve its service, then I am certain that those for whom it becomes a good alternative will take it. That will not likely be the case for those who live in York Region but closer to Finch than to any GO station, though. Nor for those who travel south but to Sheppard or Eglinton or St. Clair or U of T or Ryerson, etc., rather than Union or King or St. Andrew.

Not just YRT buses,... but Viva and Go buses as well,... no particular route,.. but it would make sense to divert any bus with routes from West of Yonge and north of Steeles from Finch to Downsview. Maybe even all those west of Bayview,....

OK, do you seriously think it would be wise or feasible or anything else for a Bayview bus or for a Yonge bus to divert to Downsview, of all places, especially in rush hour traffic? Especially when a substantial proportion of the Yonge riders, the heaviest route, are getting on the bus between 3 and 6 km or so from Finch? Why on Earth would you reroute a bus in a way that caused noone to take it anymore?

Last edited:
There's 11.5 Billion in Move Ontario 2020 money already committed to these projects. While the provincial government could always reneg on it, it's as secure as it can be without actually passing a constitutional amendment.

All due respect, Sunny but you're really going off on some crazy tangents.

Firstly, you're spinning the funding situation and convoluting the issue for people like Disparishun. For the last few years funding has been 1/3 muni, 1/3 prov and 1/3 fed. Move2020 picks up the muni 1/3 so it's 2/3 prov, 1/3 feds. The feds have not yet come on board but there is still $11.5 billion set aside by the province.

Metrolinx has been outlining its priority projects - of which the Yonge subway is high on the list. Metrolinx has also made it clear that they are using that $11.5 billion as they see fit, not waiting on the feds to come through with 1/3 for individual projects. Thus, while it is technically not yet funded, the funding for the Yonge subway is basically in place and ready to go. The EA will be approved in the spring, Toronto council votes on the already-approved-with-conditions plan next week....and then we wait for the provincial spring budget.

EDIT: DISPARISHUN POSTED WHILE I WAS TYPING :)
In answer to you question, those projects have already been divided into priorities by Metrolinx - Top 15, next 15 years, 25 years. The Yonge subway is in the Top 15 projects. You can see that list here. An edited (by me) version of what they want to see happening the next FIVE years:

Category A:construction, starting in 2009 ($2.03 billion over 5 years)
- Sheppard East LRT
- York's VIVA system

Category B: "Quick Win" Projects proposed for early construction previously announced in the 2008 Ontario Budget ($107 million over 5 years)
- James Street North Station - Hamilton
- Bolton - GO Transit improvements

Category C: Balance of "The Big Move" Priority Projects proposed for planning, design and engineering - towards construction readiness ($4.85 billion over 5 years)
- Finch West LRT
- Eglinton Crosstown
- Yonge North Subway extension

No funding, indeed.

BACK TO SUNNY...
You still haven't substantiated that York Region or its residents are the "main beneficiaries" of these extensions. If I live in Vaughan, pay to park my car at a TTC lot, pay a TTC fare, go to my job in Toronto, buy a coffee, buy a lunch, and pay another TTC fare...how is Toronto not benifitting? Of course people can do the reverse as well, be it for working or, as you love to point out, shopping.

How is that "unfair" in any way? Especially if that person is already doing that exact same commute but driving farther and/or parking elsewhere?

I'm not quite sure what to make of your ability to spot the York Region people on the subway. How do you tell them apart from the people who live, say, at Bayview/Cummer? Or Leslie/Finch? Do they smell different?

And Keith, I totally agree that Bloor-Yonge needs to be upgraded, they need to upgrade their yards etc and that, generally, Toronto's "demands" are reasonable. But I think some people here are indeed taking a more extreme position than you and I think that when Bloor-Yonge needs to be upgraded anyway, saying it's part of the subway is disingenuous. Similarly, the new signal system is needed anyway and is "billed" seperately from the subway though it's obviously a crucial part of making the extension work.

Last edited:
Don't forget,... Torontonians will benefit from the final 2km of the Spadina subway extension on Boxing day,... when they go up to Vaughan Costco Centre,... land of big box stores, for boxing day sales! Ikea, Walmart, Costco, Rona, Home Depot, Best Buy, and more big box stores,... all at one subway stop!

BTW, do you even know where Malvern is??? :rolleyes: Hint, it's no where near the Spadina subway extension.

I meant Rexdale.

This: http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/newscentre/projects/corporate_centre.cfm will be at the end of the line.

Though some people will find a subway to such stores useful (malls are the biggest trip generators for a reason), those stores will eventually be replaced.

sunny,

As much as I would challenge the specifics of any deal between the TTC and York Region, to ensure that Toronto taxpayers are not left with the short end of the stick, we should at least acknowledge that developing the subways to Vaughan and Richmond Hill are absolutely valid exercises in urban development. It's high time subway construction got ahead of the curve. I can never understand why people complain about building subways to 'nowehere'. I say subways should always be built to nowhere. That's when they are cheapest to build and you can reap the rewards as developers move in on lands along the corridor. Both the Spadina and Yonge extensions will easily draw the ridership that's necessary to justify the lines. So let's drop the argument that the extensions will not have customers. They will. Now the question is how to handle that many new customers without pissing off the ones you already serve.

Back