News   Apr 16, 2024
 545     3 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 433     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 791     0 

RBC Centre (LEED Gold, CadFair, 41s, KPF/B+H/&Co.) COMPLETE

i love the way those renders went out of their way to have the rbc building look as if it mirrors the tapering of the ritz.
there is absolutely no tapering.
except on one north east corner for about eleven storeys.
nice sell job.
though i have to say the cladding on the ritz on the cbc side looks really well done. maybe a real winner in the making.
Ya, that's why for the longest time I could have sworn RBC was supposed to taper like Ritz.

New camera CSW? Fantastic shots the last couple of days.

The RBC rendering clearly wasn't tapering it was the angle of the rendering and the lines the artist used (i.e. similar to many other renderings of 'box' type structures where the observational point is on the ground looking up at the proposed tower such as the Festival tower or BAC that could be misconstrued as tapering). Any of the planning docs and various other stacking plans and documents clearly showed a proper representation of the tower.

i love the way those renders went out of their way to have the rbc building look as if it mirrors the tapering of the ritz.
there is absolutely no tapering.
except on one north east corner for about eleven storeys.
nice sell job.
though i have to say the cladding on the ritz on the cbc side looks really well done. maybe a real winner in the making.

That's exactly what I was thinking! As I saw this building rise, I was wondering to myself "Okay, at what point is it going to start tapering?".

Very true. I notice that with a whole bunch of other renderings. The rendering for Onyx in MCC probably has the most 'artistic distortion' as I call it.

Onyx.jpg

The rendering makes it look like the building 'peaks' at the nearest corner of the roof, when really it's a just a flat rooftop.

It seems kind of misleading when they make a render of it like that. Because I was under the impression that there would be some tapering along one whole side.:confused:

Most renderings use skewed perspectives to make the buildings look taller and more architecturally intriguing than they actually end up being. It's a cheap trick, perhaps, but it's still possible to see the building appear that way using wide-angle lenses. So it's not entirely false advertising; just look at CSW's second last shot of it.

New camera CSW? Fantastic shots the last couple of days.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I finally got my mitts on a dSLR. It is only an entry level (Nikon D60) but it fun and will take some getting use to. It came with a kit lens but these pictures were taken with a 10-20mm lens, borrowed from a friend to test out. I need to work on it more but thought what better way to try it out then with some skyscrapers?

Very true. I notice that with a whole bunch of other renderings.

the scariest renders are night illustrations with soft light glowing from the inside. then you just know they are trying to hide what will become a dull building.
many of the pictures of the four seasons centre showed the front facade at night and i thought uh oh.
that being said, the rbc building from its more slender side has a certain crispness and simplicity that i am kind of getting to like as i pass by it every day to and from union.
even better from king street.

Thanks Mike. Yeah, I finally got my mitts on a dSLR. It is only an entry level (Nikon D60) but it fun and will take some getting use to. It came with a kit lens but these pictures were taken with a 10-20mm lens, borrowed from a friend to test out. I need to work on it more but thought what better way to try it out then with some skyscrapers?

Is that a wide lens? I need to get me one of those.

Last edited:
The Dexia signage is up on the south side, and I really like it. The first time I saw it I actually thought it was way too big, but now that I've seen it a few times it actually looks about right, and somehow makes the building seem way taller than it is.

Oh, and there's some glass up on the south side of the lantern.

very exciting developments happening, and all this in -22 weather. LOL, I finally got the dexia logo I was asking for. Anyone have photos of the logo actually on the building??

nice pics!

Oh I walked by a few nights ago ...
I'm sorry to say but I have a feeling the LEDs are stopping right where they are. They were on again but no change in terms of it's height.

Back