News   Apr 24, 2024
 732     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 956     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 567     0 

Bay Adelaide Centre West Tower (Brookfield, 50s, WZMH)

I wish they did something like the Comcast tower is Philadelphia where they took a box and staggered the top a little and added a unique indent on the facade just to make it a little more unique.

I wish they did something like the Comcast tower is Philadelphia where they took a box and staggered the top a little and added a unique indent on the facade just to make it a little more unique.

Totally agree.

comcast_HQ.jpg

BA Centre is nice, but it's really 'been there, done that'. It's FCP with nicer cladding.

BA Centre is nice, but it's really 'been there, done that'. It's FCP with nicer cladding.

Nicer? I dunno...if that marble wasn't in such a sorry state, it's a way nicer finish than the ho-hum glass BA is using. I think BA benefits from newness, otherwise it's just a 50 story homage to Brampton/Mississauga business parks.

No, it's a homage to so-called boring 60s Seagram-wannabe Modernist commercial tower blocks a la SOM.

it's an homage to the stump which it replaced. same basic shape and proportions. only taller and shinier. both the td centre and commerce have much better proportions and fcp has height. b-a has f-all. but it fills in a hole in the sky...alas

Yeah, consider Sixth Avenue at the W edge of Rockefeller Center, or Park Avenue post-Seagram--block after block of proto-Bay-Adelaides which were so loathed as to spawn the Postmodern backlash. But now the counter-backlash have caused them to be less loathed than they used to be...

Just wondering if the foundation is in place for the future BA2 tower.Or do they start from scratch?
If they have to start from the begining is there any reason why Brookfield Developments cant decide to build taller?
Most likely the rest of this development will proceed and get build when Toronto,s economy gets better.

Just wondering if the foundation is in place for the future BA2 tower.Or do they start from scratch?
If they have to start from the begining is there any reason why Brookfield Developments cant decide to build taller?
Most likely the rest of this development will proceed and get build when Toronto's economy gets better.

I think that the basements were all redone when the stump was demolished so I assume they "only" need to build the above ground portion of BA2.

It's interesting to note that the top four corners of BA have not had any cladding attached yet. It would be great to see large fins (80' - 100') be attached at each corner.

Given what replaced it, I rather miss the stump.

To me it represented potential, and possibilities - not thwarted ambition and the end of something.

Back