Toronto Fly Condos | ?m | 24s | Empire | Graziani + Corazza

Based on your argument, then most of Toronto's downtown north of Gardiner/rail corridor is disconnected from the Harbourfront and lake due to that psychological barrier. That's an advantage for Cityplace dwellers over FLY, as least they are in the middle of the two.

^ That assumes one would rather be "connected" to the lake than to the city. That may of course be the case for some, but is not for others. Much of this is subjective of course.

Presumably, though, one lives downtown primarily to be connected to the city, as lake access can be had elsewhere for much less money.

Lake views could be had for less, but it wouldn't be near the city. (within few min walking distance). Also it's close to parks and future parks, schools and daycare. Still, no matter where, spadina is still not as close enough to the core as York St and University Ave.

In any case, the key word is psychological. That don't mean anything when walking to entertainment district, financial district, etc. It's the actual distance or proximity to downtown destinations.

Plus I would take a unit with a nice view over a unit without one but doesn't have a "psychological" barrier any day. To one each own, I guess.

Based on your argument, then most of Toronto's downtown north of Gardiner/rail corridor is disconnected from the Harbourfront and lake due to that psychological barrier.
It's not my argument, it's an acknowledged problem discussed at great length on this forum whenever the gardiner is mentioned.

It's not my argument, it's an acknowledged problem discussed at great length on this forum whenever the gardiner is mentioned.

It's just one of those things that everyone keeps repeating.. so some people actually start to believe it.

I live on Front street, and I don't feel disconnected from the Harbourfront at all.

I don't know if it's a disconnection or more like troublesome. I find it problematic to pass under the gardiner cuz it's not pedestrian friendly. There are so many roads going this way and that between spadina and the gardiner that I have to be careful getting across.

It's just one of those things that everyone keeps repeating.. so some people actually start to believe it.

I live on Front street, and I don't feel disconnected from the Harbourfront at all.
You'll excuse me for taking the urban planning advice of a Cityplace resident with a grain of salt.

I don't know if it's a disconnection or more like troublesome. I find it problematic to pass under the gardiner cuz it's not pedestrian friendly. There are so many roads going this way and that between spadina and the gardiner that I have to be careful getting across.
What you're describing is all part and parcel of the barrier phenomenon.

Last edited:
"not pedestrian friendly" is a bit of an understatement: this pedestrian path is not regulated at all. On the west side of Spadina, one would have to run (illegally, I assume) across the Gardiner/Lakeshore ramp, while on the more "friendly" east side, the pedestrian is asked to yield to traffic coming off the ramp and going north on Spadina.

Getting back to the height discussion, I wonder if the City will be more lenient in allowing this fairly minor height variance in consideration of economic decline? I know they want building heights to step down as they approach the park, but the park's present state of neglect and the fact that the Official Masterplan for the park is a napkin doodle does not exactly fill me with confidence.

You'll excuse me for taking the urban planning advice of a Cityplace resident with a grain of salt.

And you'll forgive me for ignoring the opinion of someone who probably rarely sees the area.

Anyway I wasn't trying to "plan" anything. Just trying to inject some common sense into the conversation..

Apparently people think that "residents north of the railway tracks" feel disconnected from the harbourfront. Now instead of simply believing this mindless speculation, I'll tell you first-hand that I don't.

There.... hopefully that will put this myth to rest.

And you'll forgive me for ignoring the opinion of someone who probably rarely sees the area.
I live here.
Apparently people think that "residents north of the railway tracks" feel disconnected from the harbourfront. Now instead of simply believing this mindless speculation, I'll tell you first-hand that I don't.

There.... hopefully that will put this myth to rest.
I am one of those residents. I am telling you first hand that it's not a myth.

I don't really feel a disconnection. But I think maybe what would help is building a bridge that crosses over the gardiner for pedestrian so they can travel to the harbourfront with ease.

I don't really feel a disconnection. But I think maybe what would help is building a bridge that crosses over the gardiner for pedestrian so they can travel to the harbourfront with ease.

Wow, that would be costly and dangerous.
I can imagine accidents on the Gardiner causing structural support concerns or people using it to jump off for suicide attempts.

Back