Toronto 100 Yorkville at Bellair | 61.57m | 16s | Invar Building | Hariri Pontarini

Front & rear of the townhouses on Scollard. West facade of 100 Yorkville.

Attachments

• 100tfront.jpg
    100tfront.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 292
  • 100trear.jpg
    100trear.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 100west.jpg
    100west.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 308
The Scollard side looks much better in my opinion. It matches the streetscape and at least has some interesting detail to play with its surroundings.

The colours look terrible on the southside. The yellow brick matched with the pinky-peach precast looks awful. I do like the bronze combined with the green windows, but I don't see the connection with the other colours.

I too like the classically looking towns on Scollard ... negative comments on these townhouses don't suprise me though, cuz new building that 'attempt' to be classical generally don't seem to fetch good responses on UT

the pinky-peach precast on the tower was a nice/unique colour, but it I think would have looked much better had they paired it with bronze/brown tinted windows instead

They look quite nice ... I think it's way to early to judge particularly given the current state of the town homes ... come on. It reminds me of a time when a member complained about the framework of building looking sloppy : - )

Anyway, this one is more along but let's give it a chance I think it might turn out well. I do like the look as it stands and I think it matches with the neighborhood.

If, at this early stage, you can throw in your two cents about how you think it looks nice I don't see how you can criticize anyone else for saying that they don't like it.

That said, it's an abomination. The Scollard side is poorly and shamelessly faux, and the Yorkville side would be better suited to Richmond Hill.

Woohoo! Finally I can cross Crete off of my travel list as they seem to be building the Palace of Knossos on Scollard! Of course, if they had just included it at EPCOT like I told them too, Crete never would have made it on to my travel list anyway.

That lump won't match the neighbourhood! Unless you consider all things that look old to look the same.

In an unrelated story, evening classes in Architecture are given at the U of T.

If, at this early stage, you can throw in your two cents about how you think it looks nice I don't see how you can criticize anyone else for saying that they don't like it.

That said, it's an abomination. The Scollard side is poorly and shamelessly faux, and the Yorkville side would be better suited to Richmond Hill.

ah but my comment carefully included the line:
"as it stands"

you must read the fine print : - )

Nah ... I can see why many don't like it now and you're definitely entitled to your opinions, I think it'll turn out fine though. We'll have to see.

Woohoo! Finally I can cross Crete off of my travel list as they seem to be building the Palace of Knossos on Scollard! Of course, if they had just included it at EPCOT like I told them too, Crete never would have made it on to my travel list anyway.

So it looks like it was designed by cretins?

So is it bad just because it's classical architecture, or is it bad because it's a blatantly poor attempt at classical architecture?

If it's the latter, then I understand completely. If it's the former, then I'm confused.

Why is replicating a classical style instantly a bad thing? In general I think classical architecture is beautiful. Why should we be deprived of it? Because we're a new world city? Because we must be stringently modernist at all times?

Back