News   May 06, 2024
 359     0 
News   May 06, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 1.4K     1 

Transformation AGO (5s, Gehry) COMPLETE

Is the Bernini sculpture of Christ displayed yet?

That, and the Massacre of the Innocents is what I'm most looking forward to.

Yes, Bernini's The Crucified Christ is in Gallery 121 to the south of the Walker Court along with another Bernini - Pope Gregory the somethingth.

Interchange42, my first reaction to the wall(s) of Lawren Harris mountain scenes was exactly like yours. I found it a bit repetitive and it did not drawn me into appreciated any one painting (and instead drew me to looking at them all at the same time).

Perhaps though, it is interesting to see how an artist evolves or does not evolve, or how he or she attempts to refine a particular look or technique. Perhaps I need to go back and look at the paintings and compare and contrast more...or attempt to find an evolving technique. There must be (I hope) a rhyme and reason to the particular placement and, damn it, I am going to try to figure it out and appreciate it (before they rearrange them).

Last edited:
You're right Alklay, they do deserve some individual attention that I have not given them yet. My visits so far have been marked by relatively swift sweeps through whole areas, just trying to take it all in... and occasionally pulling to a stop in front of artworks that look foreign and exotic and which beg for immediate exploration. I will soon devote more quality time to individual galleries and their contents... meanwhile I am still happy to be dazzled by the whole shebang!

Let me add my thanks to Archivist for good photographs taken under somewhat challenging conditions, and to Shocker and Interchange for their additional comments. I am going to avoid the place for the next week or two, as I would think it will be a mob scene and not completely conducive to seeing and appreciating the works on display. This doesn't mean that I am not eager to see it.

I don't pretend to be an artistic expert by any means but am especially looking forward to seeing some Group of Seven paintings not previously available for viewing. I'm sure a number of other pleasant surprises will pop up as well. It's an understatement that this opening is a major event for Toronto.

Yes, see above.

As Walt indicates, the pent-up demand after the gallery being closed for so long may make the place a bit of a zoo for a while - the previews have certainly been busy. I was disappointed that the AGO didn't have more of a presence during their closing, though - loaners to other galleries around town, for instance. But it sure was worth the wait!

Opening with a bang like this is different from the ROM's gradual approach, which began in December 2005 with the opening of the Chinese and First Peoples galleries and won't be finished until next year. The Museum has far more items to display, of course, and learned from their previous renovation that it takes time to get membership back up if you shut down completely. In both cases the renovations have created clearer images in my mind of how the galleries fit together thematically, and the flow between them. Being able to navigate easily around these places helps combat museum fatigue.

Android, I visited the photography gallery too on my second tour. There are certainly a good number of interesting images on display, but I do not think this is the AGO's strongest area. Neither is it terribly disappointing, but it is making me look forward to Ryerson's Black Star Collection opening in a few years, which should be much larger.

The AGO's illustration galleries (beside the photography gallery) are far more extensive and have lots of great surprises.

Hipster: The unbuild of the ROM's heritage wings ( removing all those dropped ceilings and blocked windows ) was, I think, a bigger job than the AGO faced with sprucing up their heritage galleries around Walker Court. But the ROM Rotunda was left as it was, mosaic ceiling and all, whereas the Walker Court was extensively remodelled, so maybe it's a draw.

I think the "new build" comparison comes down to more than a Crystal vs. Titanium Box cage match. The bones of the Barton Myers building obviously play an important part in Gehry's addition, whereas the ROM's heritage buildings weren't changed structurally. But the Terrace Galleries were entirely removed. I don't know how you'd decide which wins. The workmanship in the Stair of Wonders suggests that the AGO might, if you base "build quality" purely on what shows on the surface. But, as we know, the Crystal required an entirely new set of construction methods that the AGO didn't.

Both institutions installed white oak floors, quite nicely I think.

The AGO installed sturdy and rather ostentatious Maple baseboards, whereas the Crystal has the much-talked-about drywall that kiddies love to scuff up.

The ROM has considerably more custom-designed display cases, because so much of their collection is three dimensional and displayed away from walls, but the ship model cases at the AGO look just as well made to me, as do those housing the Frum Collection.

The ROM's German-made cladding isn't tonally uniform, but then neither is the AGO's Japanese-made titanium.

Where does it all end?

Except that the tonal differences at the ROM were unintended and look awful, whereas the tonal differences at the AGO are intended and add to the texture and feel of the building.

From a tradesman's perspective the AGO is pure craftsmanship, and the ROM was a hack job. The quality of the finishing doesn't even compare. I cringe every time I go by the ROM and see all of the stripped and exposed screws, but you won't see anything of the sort at the AGO.

Back