Toronto Residences at the RCMI Condos | 134.72m | 42s | Tribute | Zeidler

The no parking thing is less strange than it seems. In many new downtown projects, parking is only available to larger, typically 2+ bedroom units. You can't even get one for a bachelor or 1-bedroom. Since this building will only contain such units, it fits that same formula that no parking is provided.

The parking issue is also a technical issue due to space limitations and the existing heritage building on-site. Construction costs would render the project infeasible if a significant parking facility were required.

Is there any mention of storage for bicycles? This has been common in many downtown projects in lieu of automobile parking.

there is no way that I can't see the appropriate rationale to support a 42 storey 312 residential unit building ... thats crazy ... even if it is downtown easily accessible to subway ... IMO of course

Please elaborate. It is on a major street, in between two larger buildings and, as you note, directly on a subway line. Seems quite appropriate to me.

It is not between two 42 storey buildings, or even two office buildings of an equivalent height though either: it's between a 25s 112m high building and a shorter 20s high building. Let's say we give them about 120 metres for a little peak between the two of them... but 146 metres? That's a bit much.

That number of floors doesn't seem too high to me at all - except in relation to the preserved little homey building at its base.
If there's one pedestrian-friendly road in Toronto that could stand to be lined with Verytalls and Supertalls, it would be University Ave, IMO.

I welcome that at the south end, but not so much north of Queen. There are a few good buildings along University Avenue's stretch that I don't want to see diminished by supertalls - Canada Life and the Ontario Legislature in particular.

Might there be a default solution to the parking problem, i.e. sweetheart deals with any of the Simcoe/St Patrick garages present and/or future...

Please elaborate. It is on a major street, in between two larger buildings and, as you note, directly on a subway line. Seems quite appropriate to me.

well I think its a little 'over the top' to expect that no residents in this 312 residential units building to own a car and that everyone will depend solely on the transit system ... even if it is in smack downtown TO ....

don't get me wrong, I like this building design ... just the parking part worries me somewhat ~ but as adma, maybe Tribute can work out a deal to connect with nearby parking garages (much like what would be done for 'l tower' - if its built :D)

Dug up this old pic of 426 University. I believe they will be restoring the facade. Check out the price of the new car to the right.

Photo from ganjavih
RCMI_200x200.jpg

f1231_it0080.jpg

Last edited:
The renovation and stucco treatment really destroyed this building and in my opinion nothing of architectural merit remains.

Does any of that amazing detail still exist beneath the stucco for a future, more sensible generation to uncover?

How exactly can you incorporate this building into a tower?? Will the tower have a huge bay window too?? LOL, as someone jokingly posted.

Back