Toronto L-Tower | 204.82m | 58s | Cityzen | Daniel Libeskind

The ruined it! Damn you, Damn you all to hell! (With apologies to The Planet of The Apes).

Seriously, it is not quite the same. Still a nice building, but it now does lack the 'WOW' factor.

While I'm very disappointed and tempted to tell myself: "I told you so... something like this could never be built in Toronto", after the initial disappointment, I have to bring some rationality into this and conclude that it's not as bad as it seems.

From what I can tell, the tower itself hasn't been modified at all. Also, the tower won't be built without some sort of podium. All we've seen are some elevations. I'm sure the actual details about the podium are still being worked out.

Nonetheless, I'm definitely grieving the loss of this:

ltowernightzoom1ys3.jpg

I look forward to seeing the new design to determine what kind of street presence his new lowercase "l" will bring and to feed my imagination as to what a Libeskind designed public plaza will look like.

Instead of the "Boot", what do we have now? The Pencil?

It's a shame that the "toe" part is now cancelled. I thought that the best part of the original L Tower rendering was the bottom part with the large circular/arched opening with the orange ramps inside. Now all we can do is imagine what it would have looked inside.

I think Libeskind is cursed when it comes to designing skyscrapers. His Freedom Tower design was taken over by David Childs. His "The Ascent at Roebling's Bridge" (Covington KY) looks somewhat cheap. And now this.

I don't think they'd have a very hard time renting out office units in the podium and stores on the main and underground levels.

I can't imagine why they didn't have that as plan B. I never gave the AHA Centre much credence (specially in the Harper era).... I somehow knew that it would either not go forward or fold after a year or two in operation.

I don't think they'd have a very hard time renting out office units in the podium and stores on the main and underground levels.

Excellent point. Retail and offices would have been an great "plan B" to save the design.

Was this to be connected to PATH or is that the Sony Centre?

This could easily have been turned into a condotel too. Who wouldn't pony up $400 a night for a chance to stay in a Libeskind designed hotel? Acutally, I suppose I could supply a list of who wouldn't, but still, there would be lots of people who would.

Can anyone say "W" Tower?

I predict it will be even more box-like when it's built. The most interesting residential project in the city has suddenly become very uninteresting.

Maybe they could achieve the original design by seeking funding from the Italian ministry of tourism.

Back