News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 646     0 

Nuit Blanche

Last chance to see the sam the record man sign :(

Sam the Record Man sign to be lit up one last time Oct. 4

By THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO - The iconic Sam the Record Man sign in downtown Toronto will be turned on one last time for the city's Scotiabank Nuit Blanche festival.

For decades, two giant neon spinning records served as a beacon to music lovers shopping on Yonge Street.

But the legendary flagship store closed last year and the site is now owned by Ryerson University.

Ryerson says the sign will be lit Oct. 4 in celebration of Nuit Blanche, an all-night art crawl.

The university plans to build a student learning centre on the site.

It says the sign, which consists of more than 800 lights, will be taken down beginning Oct. 6 and remounted in a new home on the Ryerson campus.

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2008/10/01/6946081-cp.html

Well, that really defeats the purpose of designating the sign historical. It's not the sign itself that is historical, it's the sign in the Yonge St. context.

Could they not have taken it down and remount it on the new building?

Well, that really defeats the purpose of designating the sign historical. It's not the sign itself that is historical, it's the sign in the Yonge St. context.

True, it won't look the same out of sight of the bustle of Yonge. I'll certainly pay a visit on Nuit Blanche and pay my respects (bought everything from LPs to CDs there at one time or another) and snap a photo. Thanks for the mention gabe.

And then we'll take in some of the more interesting pieces from Nuit Blanche. Still not settled on the places to go but I agree with a number of smuncky's choices.

I think the later date has something to do with the moon cycle (as Urban Shocker mentioned) as well as coordination with our mother Nuit Blanche project in Paris. The two festivals have been closely linked since its inception in T.O. unlike the many other Nuit Blanches that have sprung up across the world in the last 3 years.

I love Toronto's Nuit Blanche - in 3 years it has become almost better than the one in Paris.

Why can't we have a mayor like Delanoe of Paris who comes up with (or steals) great ideas (eg. Paris Plage, Vel-lib, Nuit Blanche, Tram lines) and implements immediately and effectively? In other words, why can't we have a real leader? Delanoe has done more in Paris in his 6 years of office than the past 4 terms of any mayor in office in Toronto

And not to get political - but - considering organisers estimate a crowd of 1 million for this year's event, it seems that ART isn't just for the gala attending elite.

Yeah, after last year, I'm just going to stick to one zone or one or two highlights and leave at a reasonable time (3AM?).

Apparently, the TTC is really being boneheaded yet again - I've read that they only put out requests for additional drivers this week, as if they'll have enough. And my experience on the 310 Bathurst last year (a scheduled bus just never bothered to show up!) really annoyed me.

Yeah, after last year, I'm just going to stick to one zone or one or two highlights and leave at a reasonable time (3AM?).

Apparently, the TTC is really being boneheaded yet again - I've read that they only put out requests for additional drivers this week, as if they'll have enough. And my experience on the 310 Bathurst last year (a scheduled bus just never bothered to show up!) really annoyed me.
I also find it weird that they would stop subway service for 2 hours.

it's the TTC I'm not surprised, luckily my feet can take me anywhere:D

Meanwhile Miller will probably be limoed around...if he attends...wait, there will be camera's?..oh, he'll be there

ITComputer:

Actually I have personally seen him riding the TTC and walking around the city (more than once in both counts). Can't say the same for Lastman.

I think it's a Prius btw, not a limo.

AoD

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/article/510887

A new and improved Nuit Blanche

Organizers say they've addressed complaints from last year and improved TTC and exhibit wait times

Oct 03, 2008 04:30 AM

Bruce DeMara
Entertainment Reporter

Organizers of Nuit Blanche are hoping to address problems with last year's event – long waits for the TTC and big lineups – to make the third annual effort more user-friendly.

The dusk-to-dawn arts exploration – starting at 6:52 p.m. tomorrow and featuring 155 locations – should be relatively trouble-free, said Rita Davies, Toronto's executive director of culture.

"We've added more large venues with large-scale installations and we've really planned it along the TTC routes. With these large installations in these public spaces, crowds can have a really great experience of the art," Davies said.

There will be still be a number of "more intimate exhibitions," Davies hastened.

Complaints arose last year after many venues were overwhelmed and locations such as Queen St. W. were jammed with pedestrians, bringing streetcar and vehicle traffic to a standstill.

City Council has given organizers this year the financial resources and additional planning time to deal with those issues, Davies said.

First, the three zones have been reconfigured closer to public transit routes.

Second, organizers are using larger public spaces, like Toronto City Hall, to accommodate larger crowds.

Spokesperson Brad Ross said the TTC's service will be enhanced.

"It'll be a much better TTC experience this year," Ross said.

The TTC is encouraging riders to consider purchasing $9 day passes, which are good until 9 a.m. Sunday.

The TTC is running all-night subway service on its two main lines, from St. George to Eglinton on the Yonge-University line and from Christie to Broadview on the Bloor-Danforth line, with all-night bus service linked to those stations. The commission has committed to running trains every 10 to 12 minutes.

Additional night service will be provided along King St. and Bathurst St. Additional vehicles will be provided on Blue Night service routes on Queen St., Carlton St., Eglinton St. E. and W., Ossington St., Don Mills Rd. and Dufferin St.

Additional Harbourfront LRT service will run between Union Station and Exhibition Place to provide service in the Liberty Village area west of Bathurst St. Parking will be available at Exhibition Place., with a shuttle bus service.

Davies advised night owls to access scotiabanknuitblanche.ca in advance to create a game plan.

"We're telling everybody to plan ahead. Because there is so much to see, it's going to be impossible to do it all in one night," Davies said.

Sign up to receive live tips on your mobile phone during Nuit Blanche with our Twitter feed at twitter.com/torontostar

ITComputer:

Actually I have personally seen him riding the TTC and walking around the city (more than once in both counts). Can't say the same for Lastman.
I think it's a Prius btw, not a limo.

AoD

I'll vouch for Miller as a transit commuter.

I generally don't like him but I respect him for doing this. I don't like the habit of politicians to insulate themselves from people, something that generally adds needless expenses.

Evil Ryerson has more than enough ugly buildings in the city, i don't understand why they just can't incorporate the sign in to their new building.
Nuit Blanche looks like a great event this year hopefully the drunken idiots stay away from the exhibits this year.

Back