News   Apr 17, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 347     0 
News   Apr 17, 2024
 2K     1 

Then and Now: Yonge/Dundas and area

egotrippin's claim that "nothing worthwhile" existed on the site before Lyle's remaindered-deco Bank of Nova Scotia was built after WW2 clearly isn't born out by the photographic evidence shown above. Joseph Sheard's handsome stone dwelling built in 1852 for William Cawthra, Toronto's richest man, and demolished in 1948 stands at the corner of the intersection. Architect and author Anthony Adamson - descended from the Cawthra family - saved some of the architectural details and installed them in his Rosedale home.

Architect and author Anthony Adamson - descended from the Cawthra family - saved some of the architectural details and installed them in his Rosedale home.

...and bequeathed them to none other than Geddy Lee. (If I'm not mistaken.)

egotrippin's claim that "nothing worthwhile" existed on the site before Lyle's remaindered-deco Bank of Nova Scotia was built after WW2 clearly isn't born out by the photographic evidence shown above. Joseph Sheard's handsome stone dwelling built in 1852 for William Cawthra, Toronto's richest man, and demolished in 1948 stands at the corner of the intersection. Architect and author Anthony Adamson - descended from the Cawthra family - saved some of the architectural details and installed them in his Rosedale home.

No I didn't, in fact if you read my post you'd realize that I said "With the exception of the northeast corner..."

I also understand the defense of Mies' banking pavilion, I just believe that a one-storey building isn't appropriate for a prime corner in what should be Toronto's tallest and densest area. The original TD building left in place as an anchor to the corner, with Mies' modernist towers rising up and contrasting directly behind it would've been a far better way to treat the corner. This is also why I dislike Commerce Court South and East, and the opening of the previously covered wall on CC North. The streetwall to the southeast corner should've been left intact, with the new tower built slightly farther to the south. That's just my opinion though, sadly historical preservation wasn't on the menu during the 1960s and 1970s.

Given the location, and how much King and Bay had already changed with the addition of commercial skyscrapers, it's remarkable that a private residence such as the Cawthra house survived until as recently as 1948. Lyle's Bank of Nova Scotia building isn't considered as significant as the TD banking pavilion.

Sep 25 addition

Queen and Bay, looking south south east

ser372_ss0041_s0372_ss0041_it0050.jpg

DSCF0841.jpg

Given the location, and how much King and Bay had already changed with the addition of commercial skyscrapers, it's remarkable that a private residence such as the Cawthra house survived until as recently as 1948. Lyle's Bank of Nova Scotia building isn't considered as significant as the TD banking pavilion.

Well, Cawthra would have bit the dust c1930 if not for the depression. And BNS is basically a watered-down version of the original scheme by Lyle's successors--well, insofar that *any* postwar Deco required being watered down...

Perhaps not, considering the significance of Mies' TD Centre as a whole. As individual buildings though, banking pavilion vs. Lyle's BNS building, the one story pavilion can't compare; even to the watered down BNS building we eventually got.

One story, nondescript banking hall < 27 story art-deco highrise, with hand-carved panels.

Perhaps not, considering the significance of Mies' TD Centre as a whole. As individual buildings though, banking pavilion vs. Lyle's BNS building, the one story pavilion can't compare; even to the watered down BNS building we eventually got.

One story, nondescript banking hall < 27 story art-deco highrise, with hand-carved panels.

Actually, the banking pavilion is commonly considered the *most* architecturally significant part of the TD complex; so if you're suggesting it's expendable, you've definitely got your signals reversed...

Also, as adma points out, BNS is a watered-down version of deco that was built out-of-place-and-out-of-time ( "hand-carved panels" ) in a post-WW2 city where contemporary architects were embracing new expressive forms - as a quick glance across the street to the south-west corner of the intersection shows.

Though I'd qualify things through pointing out that 15-20 years separate the NE and SW corners--and even the "watering-down" process evident in BNS is fascinating. As great as Mies is, I wouldn't sacrifice BNS in the utmost...

Sep 29 additions

Dundas and Bond. Looking west.
fo1231_f1231_it1697.jpg

DSCF0777.jpg

New diversion.
ser71_s0071_it2190.jpg

DSCF0779-1.jpg

Old 'Imperial Optical' or 'Hermant' building. Don't know what it's called now...
fo1257_ser1057_f1257_s1057_it0622.jpg

DSCF0782-1.jpg

Some glasses I bought in there awhile back.
DSCF0852.jpg

a few more... Sep 29

Louisa Street. No more.
fo1567_ser648_s0648_fl0155_id0006.jpg

Modern view looking north on Bay towards Dundas.
DSCF0800.jpg

Salvation Army.
fo1244_f1244_it1998.jpg

DSCF0803.jpg

Dundas and Chestnut southeast corner.
_ser372_ss0033_s0372_ss0033_it0223.jpg

DSCF0791-1.jpg

Edward and Elizabeth southwest corner.
_ser372_ss0033_s0372_ss0033_it0176.jpg

DSCF0787.jpg

_ser372_ss0033_s0372_ss0033_it0223.jpg

Where are all the folks that complain about all the great stuff we lost over the years now? We lost more junk like this than anything else.

Back