Toronto West Harbour City | ?m | 36s | Plaza | BDP Quadrangle

That is a mighty fine question. Suddenly what they're building makes no sense at all.

Unless you consider that lake views = more $$$, therefore more units facing the lake means more money for Plazacorp. The terraces can still make Plazacorp a lot of money because, well, they are terraces. Even if they are facing the gardiner, they still provide the space that none of the other units have.

I agree. Having a terrace would likely make the north side as marketable as the waterview on the south side. The freeway wouldn't even be visible out the window of a unit with a terrace.

...although you could charge even more for a lakeview unit with a terrace. Moving terraces to the south side would not eliminate lakeview units, it would just move them slightly further away from the lake... while giving them terraces.

at first I too found it weird that the nice terrace units were on the north side of WHC, but afterwards I figured out the reasoning I thought Plazacorp was really smart in apply this model because both the north and south side of the building would now be seen as desirable (north = terrace, south = lakeview)

In this crazy-ass city though no one thought that they could market terraces on both sides of the building? The building should have/could have been allowed a couple more floors so that any decrease in square footage given over to terraces could have been made up on higher floors. I'd like to see way more buildings have terraces here (which would work best if the Avenues plan ever gets going). Streets wouldn't get overwhelmed as setbacks would be created by the terracing, the buildings would be improved by having higher-perceived-value units (usable outdoor space is a luxury), and terraces would work better on lower buildings anyway...

...but still, as few terraces facing the lake on high floors at West Harbour City? Spectacular.

There are some terraces in the podium portion of this building on the 10th floor facing the lake. They aren't setback like the tower, but they are terraces nonetheless.

at first I too found it weird that the nice terrace units were on the north side of WHC, but afterwards I figured out the reasoning I thought Plazacorp was really smart in apply this model because both the north and south side of the building would now be seen as desirable (north = terrace, south = lakeview)

That's what they did with King West Life too

The City has just posted a tender call for landscape architects for June Callwood Park. This is a new park which will be on north side of Fleet Street in the middle of the West Harbour City and other developments. I guess it's a good sign that things are moving ahead.

The June Callwood Park Request for Proposals (RFP) represents the second stage in a two-stage, open design competition. The purpose of this RFP is to invite consultant teams (Proponents) that were short-listed through the Stage I Request for Expressions of Interest (REOI) 9118-08-5115, to submit a design proposal for June Callwood Park.
Each Proponent will prepare a submission, which includes presentation panels, with explanatory text, cost estimates suitable for technical verification and jury deliberation. Proponents are also asked to submit a Draft Work Plan.
The Vendor will be required to provide full professional and technical services, including Design, Facilitation, Contract Documents (Drawings, Specifications, etc.), Permits, Construction Supervision and Contract Administration to carry out the following:
1) Co-ordinate all team members, for attendance at meetings and completion of tasks for the duration of the project.
2) Attend and record all meetings as required, including but not limited to regular design meetings with the City Project Team, the June Callwood Park Steering Committee, the community and other stakeholders. There will be a minimum of two (2) public meetings/workshops. Some meetings will be outside regular working hours.
The work as described above shall be divided into the following phases:
3.2.1 Design Development Phase
3.2.2 Contract Documents Phase
3.2.3 Tendering Phase
3.2.4 Contract Administration Phase

September 15

Looking southwest from Bathurst.
2867132246_b4a52f8a34_b.jpg

Looking southeast.
2867132292_aa0a4b76c8_b.jpg

notice how the two angles paint a totally different picture of WHC ... amazing kicka*s terracing on the north side ... I like that type massing, it really adds interests to the building

South elevation .......... vs .......... North+West elevations
DSCN3746.jpg
2867132292_aa0a4b76c8_b.jpg

thanks casaguy + current

I was contemplating at buying a place there when phase 1 started, but changed my mind when I got a whiff of the abatoir.

This building does look nice and does fit better than some of the other projects next door.

I was contemplating at buying a place there when phase 1 started, but changed my mind when I got a whiff of the abatoir.

This building does look nice and does fit better than some of the other projects next door.

The good is that you most likely will never loose your southern view,the bad is the abbatoir.I would take the view and wait for the abbotoir to eventully move on from our waterfront vicinity.Money talks Bullshit walks and it wont be to long before some developer knocks on their door.

where exactly is the abbatoir you speak of anyways? address or aerial photo?

Back