Toronto Peter Gilgan Centre for Research and Learning | ?m | 21s | Sick Kids | Diamond Schmitt

How long before the Bus Station and the SE corner of Bay-Gerrard are next? Great news for the area and the break-up of the condo creep.

Amen, to the SE corner of Bay and Gerrard (although the billboard on that property actually is a redeeming feature :) ) Is the bus station a historically designated property? In a way I'd like to see it redeveloped; in another way I'd like to see it retained.

For the bus station, they just need to keep the 2-storey ticketing area along Bay (about 1/4 of the site) and develop the rest. It could make for nice lobby to any condo or office building.

Depending on the height of each floor, the Sick Kids Research building will be close in height to that of LuCliff Place, which has approximately the same number of floors. LuCliff will be all the better off once it is hidden from the south by this tower.

I wonder how the smokestack will be addressed by the tower's architecture?

Amen, to the SE corner of Bay and Gerrard (although the billboard on that property actually is a redeeming feature :) ) Is the bus station a historically designated property? In a way I'd like to see it redeveloped; in another way I'd like to see it retained.

Which one? The billboard that is for the teachers' union, or the one for Harper's "National Citizens' Coalition" (how many citizens do they speak for?).

Excellent. Good to see more jobs downtown, and man, this is one massive floorplate. It should help to counter the condos with columns pattern on this stretch of Bay.

But I've got an idea for floor names, given that this is Sick Kids doing medical experiments.

Main Floor (since the current place starts numbering on the second floor)
1. Deirdre
2. Vincent
3. Tessa
4. Valerie
5. Janine
6. Martha
7. Andrew
8. Thomas
9. Walter
10. Pat
11. Linda
12. Michael
13. Evadne
14. Alice
15. Dominique
16. Sasha
17. Laura
18. Alfred
19. Nigel
20. Annie
21. Simon
22. Amanda
23. Gordon

Sounds quite waspy

Which one? The billboard that is for the teachers' union, or the one for Harper's "National Citizens' Coalition" (how many citizens do they speak for?).

The NCC billboard has been leased and is currently just another commercial billboard

I wonder what the chances are of this building having a PATH connection. I'd be pretty confident wagering that it'll at least have direct subway access to Queen's Park (since an underground connection to Sick Kids would let you get to the subway via the UHN semi-public tunnels), but really, they'd only need to do a tunnel from Edward to Elm to be able to hook up with the real PATH network. And it would be a great strategic building to connect, since it would in turn make it easier to connect the Delta Chelsea and Aura.

Will a direct subway hook-up be part of MaRS Phase II? That would provide the link to the hospital tunnel network. There is a tunnel (as well as the skybridge) from Sick Kids to the Elizabeth McMaster building as well, though I believe all the entrances to it are secure. I would imagine that there would be a tunnel link.

I would imagine the compexities of getting all the way through from Queen's Park to the new research building. It will involve at least one change of floors and a willingness to enter the basement level of the old Sick Kids building (below the "service" floor). I haven't been in there for a long time now, and not sure how public the whole thing really is these days.

Yes, MaRS III will have the direct subway connection, once it's complete.

If I'm not mistaken the walk from MaRS to Sick Kids isn't actually that bad, and it was publically accessible the last time I used it (maybe two years ago). It was pretty much a straight line from MaRS, through TGH, and into Sick Kids. Not sure at all about the connection to McMaster tho, never had a need to get over there

i42:

I wonder how the smokestack will be addressed by the tower's architecture?

One model would be Regent Park Phase 1 - the tower by aA has an integral smokestack for the district energy system I believe.

AoD

Sounds quite waspy

Okay, then...

1. Brandine
2. Gummy Sue
3. Tiffany
4. Andie
5. Gordon
6. Lizzie
7. Jackson
8. Heather
9. Cody
10. Dylan
11. Dermot
12. Jordan
13. Taylor
14. Brittany
15. Wesley
16. Rumer
17. Scout
18. Cassidy
19. Zoe
20. Chloe
21. Max
22. Hunter
23. Rubella Scabies
24. Kendall
25. Caitlin
26. Noah
27. Sasha
28. Morgan
29. Kyra
30. Ian
31. Lauren
32. Q-bert
33. Condoleezza Marie
34. Phil
35. Birthday
36. Crystal Meth
37. Dubya
38. Incest
39. International Harvester
40. Jitney
41. Witney
42. Mary Wrestlemania
43. Stabbed in Jail

I want floor 22, scabies are fun.

Re: the PATH network, I think it would be logical to bring Path from the bus station up to SickKids and the hospital network to Queen's Park subway station and, if you want to get flirty, all the way to the Med School building at UofT. Then the PATH could run along College through MaRS to College Park where it could connect Aura, Delta Chelsea to Ryerson and to TLS. From the Detla Chelsea you could also get back to Sick Kids and while we're at it, why not annex the yummy room at Bovarian Steakhouse on Elm and reclaim the former street car tracks for PATH usage. I'll take the cellar contents for my own use. I call dibs.

(that paragraph confirms it, I've gone mad).

I hope that LuCliff Place is hidden from all directions.

More importantly, though, I hope that the new research centre avoids the going trend that MaRS and St. Mikes have pioneered and instead goes for something that looks less reseach institution-ish. I also hope that the building doesn't carry over the Green finishing motif else it will compete with the Liberties one block up for the title of worst use of green paint in the Discovery District.

And finally, with this building, will "Discovery District" road signage finally find themselves along Bay?

Back