News   Apr 16, 2024
 391     2 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 401     1 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 754     0 

St Lawrence Market

No, The street is currently open with no approved plan to close this year and the motion (now with correct year) recommends that the street be CLOSED this summer and, before October, that TEYCC receive and act on a Report for its PERMANENT Closure.
The street is currently closed to pedestrians, patios, market stalls, etc. Open it up!

The street is currently closed to pedestrians, patios, market stalls, etc. Open it up!
I would not say it is closed to pedestrians now, the street is now open to cars, trucks, cyclists and pedestrians. If this motion passed the street will only be open to pedestrians this summer and, one hopes, after a staff report and a further vote, it will continue like that 365 days a year. Let's hope so.

It's now nearly three years since the pandemic lockdowns started, and several months since the Novotel shelter was closed, and the frequency of window smashings around the St. Lawrence Market seem to have abated somewhat. Except for Butter Chicken Roti on King East. Their windows have been smash perhaps more than any others -- maybe half a dozen times by my loose count, and often within a day or two of repair. Is this just bad luck or does somebody have an agenda? I'm not the only one to notice because I see people have begun taping messages of support to the broken glass.

roti.png

It's all in your point of view. Closure sounds like no one can use it when the point is to open it to non-vehicular uses.
In City-government speak "Closing a street' means " CLOSURE - A temporary or permanent full or partial closing of a street"" In this case I suppose to be exact it's a partial closure.

Pictures from this morning.

Mother Nature is helping with construction in the St Lawrence Market area.View attachment 456254One small section of sidewalk is getting replaced at a time!

View attachment 456255

The snow is from a movie shoot Monday morning.
View attachment 456256
Yes, good to see. Pity they wasted $$$ by laying asphalt on the south sidewalks just before New Year and are now digging them up again but I admit the weather has been very unseasonably warm!

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here yet, but I noticed passing by that Score on King at the corner of King and Church had all the windows papered over on the inside today. Looks like it couldn't make it through the winter.

I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here yet, but I noticed passing by that Score on King at the corner of King and Church had all the windows papered over on the inside today. Looks like it couldn't make it through the winter.
It always seems packed- maybe some reno? Their website seems to be taking reservations NEXT week, but not this.

It always seems packed- maybe some reno? Their website seems to be taking reservations NEXT week, but not this.

I stopped and read the signs on the window yesterday. They're just doing a quick renovation and will re-open tomorrow (Feb 16). I could hear construction noise coming from inside.

Wellington Construction Update

February 24, 2023
RE: Wellington Street Construction

As weather continues to be favourable for this time of year, our contractor has decided to continue through the winter months as weather permits. During this time the contractor will continue to work on the south side of Wellington St E. During colder days crews will have to halt work, however this will be determined on a daily basis by our contractor and site Inspectors.
Future updates will be sent out as work continues,

Thank you for your patience during construction.

I assume they are laying pavers on top of the precast concrete and making this section “accessible” for future requirements. The previous sections were poured. I didn’t check what was under this area. Maybe the mysterious unknown services as previously mentioned. There were a few hats looking at this on Feb 14.
Pictures from Tuesday and Wednesday.

70F29C12-9584-4657-BC83-95914DBDD262.jpeg

A9E82A73-C35A-4BF9-A357-3AEEB078713E.jpeg

A70F2C9E-0A36-44A6-B31E-52D39A15C203.jpeg

7CD7E9AA-3B5F-4F27-A483-18F144FA99F7.jpeg

Back